Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever decided to park your car/truck, to ride with another metal detectorist to a proven site?
Don't!
When a forgotten "honey do" call rings, stating the grass ain't cut yet and all involved must leave, it ain't cool!
Drive alone.
Peace ✌
Don't answer "honey do" calls once your on the road... "Sorry honey, must have not had signal when you called".

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ouch! L.o.l..
I seldom get a gotta do cell call. Maybe once a year and something bad usually.
I do recall being out on the ice fishing before I had a cell phone.
Out of our party of five, four guys were arguing on their phones with their wives/girlfriends. .....So it better involve severe bleeding or a vet trip to call me when I'm out.
Usually.:laughing7:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always turn my phone off and leave it in the van most of the times.

I bet that will be the last time you ride with him....

Fool me once shame on you... Fool me twice, shame on me...

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I drove 40 miles north with a guy once, once we got to beeping, his wife called, says that she needed to go grocery shopping, and he had the debit card, she demanded that not only he come home immediately, but for me to not park in her driveway, as I was blocking her, so I had to move my truck too... Wont ever go through that again.

Last edited:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow can not believe what I am reading here. I always have share rides with others. Right now I share rides with another detectorest it help with gas expense. Leave your phone in the car and turned off if you afre afraid of getting a come home call. When I leave home I tell my wife I don't know when we will be back. I do the same thing when I go hunting and fishing never know when I will get home. It has worked great for me for the last 35 yrs. Enjoy your free time because you never know when you will get more.

Mike70

Jan 23, 2015
Gold Coast, Queensland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortez, Tesoro Stingray, C&G Wildcat, Pistol Probe Pro. Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Leaving the phone off while you are out sounds good in theory, but how would you feel if there was a real emergency, and you could not be contacted? I guess we have all done it at one time or another, but its something to think about.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So would she do the same if she was out shopping with her friends and you needed a sandwich made? The grass can wait until tomorrow.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Good thread :) I can just imagine doing what some of you (like T'hr) say, and just not answer the phone. But as Mike70 says: what if it were a real emergency ? I guess you could rely on text message (to decide what you want to answer, versus what you don't).

As for saying "musta been out of ph. range"....... well ....... That bites to have to tell little white lies. I've preferred the "no" approach, to simply put my foot down and tell her "no, sorry, won't be home for XX # of hours. Period end of story, sorry." But then you come home to the "frost" and "ice-sickles" treatment. :tongue3:

Ah women. Can't live with 'em, can't live w/o 'em :(

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know about yours but my wife knows to leave a message and to text as well as call in case of an emergency..

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, let's regress a bit...
Say it was 1989. No one but the rich had "cell" phones. Basically a heavy suitcase, and $5 per min. Home emergency's were still resolved.
Or regress to the 70's. No cell phone ��. Home emergency's were resolved. But...
I ain't gonna lie, my cell phone is with me at all times. Deep in the woods while detecting too. For my emergency, if needed.
Just sayin', grass cutting ain't no emergency. ;)
Peace ✌

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup. Been there. Out hitting a site making some nice find then bam, "I have to go". I don't feel like walking home (40 or so miles) so we pack up and I drink heavily on the drive back............:BangHead:

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife knows that when I leave the house, the phone stays in my work van.......and it's loud........
No calls unless it's an absolute emergency................

S

stefen

Back before cell phones we had pagers...

One day I was on a construction site 8 miles from my office and the damn pager kept going off...

Finally I drove off the hill to the nearest gas station and called the office...

Message from wife to pick up a 1/2 gal of milk on the way home...

Threw the pager in the can...cost me $$$ to replace the damaged pager...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
got a naggy , whiney or just plain ole demanding "hen pecking" type wife ? turn off your cell phone while your on a detecting trip , when riding with "others" ..only turn it back on after you are done on the way back home ... trust me whatever drama causing "problem" there was will still be there when you get back (namely her)... so enjoy your "break" off the chain ... sounds like you need one ... better yet -- if there no kids involved , ever thought of changing the "ball and chain"..wife out? because at times to me it seems that living alone in peace is better that being with a non stop naggy woman...thankfully I got a non naggy good wife.. and I am happy as a clam..and I can leave my phone on with no "drama calls" ...only in case of a true emergency do I got to come home ..although I do make sure not to "block her car in" and we do have more than one debit card ..,so she is not stuck if I go off for a bit ..

Last edited:

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spent most of my life before cell phones, had the same types of emergencies and problems to resolve all those years, I can see in very rare and very few unusual circumstances where a cell phone may make a difference in the outcome, but for 99.9 % of the time actually not a factor in changing a outcome.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whole family KNOWS Sunday morning is MY time detecting, they have forgotten and called me and I just tell them I'm detecting I will talk to you later.
If it is a true emergency for the love of God hang up and dial 911 they can get there and take care of you faster and better than I can! Leave the info on my messages because I can replay it if I forget which hospital you went to.
I would stop detecting if it is a true emergency, kinda hard to enjoy yourself detecting at that point any how.

Ambulance ride to the ER would qualify in my book, not much else.
Pipe leaking, turn off the water. Need milk, I'll get it when I get home.

I seriously would rather detect ALL day on Mother's Day but I do put in an appearance for the family, after I have gotten some detecting done.

S

stefen

The term 'Saved By The Bell' came from when a bell was placed graveside in case the person being buried woke suddenly...

Today, just the opposite, a cell phone ringing at the wrong time could be the death of somebody...:laughing7:

It's funny though, the other day my Stock Broker emailed me asking for my cell number.

I emailed back with the number and mentioned that I don't carry a phone with me and check my messages, once daily.

She emailed back asking what good is it to have my number.

I replied, No good. Hey, you asked for it and I gave it to you. End of subject.

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When my husband is hunting (deer, not relics) I only call if it's an emergency. He always answers. Nagging spouses just cause deafness, from what I can see.

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
wow can not believe what I am reading here. I always have share rides with others. Right now I share rides with another detectorest it help with gas expense. Leave your phone in the car and turned off if you afre afraid of getting a come home call. When I leave home I tell my wife I don't know when we will be back. I do the same thing when I go hunting and fishing never know when I will get home. It has worked great for me for the last 35 yrs. Enjoy your free time because you never know when you will get more.

I'm the same way when I go racing at the track, too. She knows not to call unless it really is an emergency and that I'll call her if I have a free moment. Went out detecting on Monday for almost 7 hours and she never bothered me once.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread