jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All these shows- Gold Rush , Oak Island , ( fill in the blank ) rely on goofy types like the "snake expert" , or Todd Hoffman ,
so that they can keep all of us engaged by screaming obscene epithets at the tv. (maybe throwing a beer can at it as well )
They also rely upon failure -( though Parker may well succeed having gotten free of that angry S.O.B. that owned the claim).

When it comes to Snake Guy he's been Bit so many times,
I think he's addicted.

sort of like a person who gets a tattoo . if they are an obsessive personality ,
they will run back for a 2nd. 3rd. etc. till they look like the tattoo man at the circus.
and if they run out of room,they will have old tattoos redone or added to.

I think he "needed" to get stung , in order to prevent himself
from getting desperate enough to let a snake bite 'em :laughing7:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ARC1 those symbols are pretty standard.

Since so "standard"...
Then why all the mis-reading/interpretations here and there ?
heh...

Oh well... will spare you mine then... they must have figured out by now what it means.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ARC1 I wasn't being insulting. I was saying they didn't look odd, they look like usual treasure symbols to me. And my second sentence was for your interpretation. You had just said no one wanted to know, I was saying "you can interpret them"--- as in tell us what it says. They say it broke off from somewhere so there will be more if they find where.
Sorry for the confusion.

timemachine

Apr 8, 2015
Seattle
Detector(s) used
GPZ7000 / Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All caught up on episodes at this point...ready for more. Plus, on the show I finally saw another person in public wearing my black Minelab hat!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ARC1 I wasn't being insulting. I was saying they didn't look odd, they look like usual treasure symbols to me. And my second sentence was for your interpretation. You had just said no one wanted to know, I was saying "you can interpret them"--- as in tell us what it says. They say it broke off from somewhere so there will be more if they find where.
Sorry for the confusion.

No beep... never thought you were being "anything" :)

Your sweetie :P

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyway...
The pic of stone is sideways IMO....

The () indicate an "entrance"... or opening...
The Cross indicates "the type"... AKA "whos it was"
And circle with dots stands for gold and in this instance "how many".

Stone appears to be broken...
Anyway...
Find a cross mark... in a cave... or on a "wall" or rock...
And below... or in front of...
will be the "cache's"... in intervals.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the snakes will leave them alone long enough. Now we must hope the cave or place the treasure is buried with tons of rocks, I can't see them bringing in heavy earth moving equipment. TNT, maybe.

They say how the snakes got there in the first place?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder the same...
They say that the "natural" evolution of the island caused this.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I think one of Brazil's public entities does go onto the island enough for some reason I forget, to build trails, or even just walk the same path that a trail is had.

Don't know what to make of this show yet. That arrow rock did look planted, but then again the team did use best practice and leave it in situ. And there's at least one professional academic, the anthropologist/diver. But the various things the divers find seem pretty irrelevant as ships wrecked all over and I imagine travelling ships just tossed out malfunctioning machinery if they were broken, etc. But that one guy with the beard looks like he's made a living at doing this so there might be a purpose to the dives.

On this episode I cannot fathom how idiotic that snake expert was for diving face-first into a very violent surf. Then :gosh: getting tossed by it into sea urchin spines. Yes, some of the other grumbled about that but if I were a) someone on the team or even b) some cameraman or ethicist/lawyer along for the ride, I'd refuse to work with such an idiot anymore. Have never been in the military but chain-of-command on a dangerous expedition should count for something, and anyone just ignoring orders and instead jumping randomly into the ocean would/should be dismissed. If that means his snake expertise (and come on, there's only one snake species there, and he's already explained their habits such as being unusually arboreal to everyone, so not much more value) was crucial, then if no easy replacement the expedition should simply end. They would have trusted the wrong insane, reckless, egoistic snake expert.

I guess if they've done nothing else they at least pulled up some nice silver coins from that one dive, which they inexplicably moved away from. And assuming those were coins; haven't seen any after-cleaning shots of them.

My only hopes left now at sanity are the anthropologist/diver, the ship's captain, and the bearded guy. I'll just from now assume the others are milking it up and playing to the camera. And diving face-first into poisonous spines for no reason. Frankly I hope that guy dies and they go "well, figures, what a *******" and just keep walking up that trail. Okay, I guess I don't hope that because I don't want anyone to die etc. etc.

If I was a Brazilian and worked for that public entity, I would take off on a fishing trip or something, who in the heck is going to go to that island to check up on your "supposed" work ? Certainly not your boss.
I still don't understand why snakeman jumped into the water, if anybody was going to, I would have guessed the guy who had come face to face with that snake. And then he had to personally remove the snake due to lack of room in the cave for snakeman to do his job.
They showed some unseen scenes from that last episode and snakeman did go to a hospital to have the other spine removed.
Here is the man with the most important responsibility of all the team making an off the wall decision which, this time, only resulted in his own injury.
And it is tiring to hear them constantly trying to tie that found block in with the lifting of something up the cliff. They are grasping at straws.
Still, like most, I am hooked on the show even though it sometimes defies logic.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just wait'n to see some bling! ....maybe tomorrow's the day! Lol! I know better.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a story on the island by the Smithsonian Magazine. Interesting to note there used to be a family living there to tend the lighthouse - which is now automated.

Also interesting that the island was/is frequently visited (90 miles from the coast) by smugglers who capture snakes for the black market. The snakes got there because it used to be part of the coast of Brazil. My Google MAps must be broke because i show it to be 20 miles from the coast.

Ilha de Queimada Grande: World's Deadliest Island | Science | Smithsonian

https://www.google.com/maps/@-24.4633332,-46.637419,29297m/data=!3m1!1e3

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the Island has had many visitors over the years. The pirates (today's) are going there and stealing the Golden lance heads because they are worth $10,000-$30,000 each and the scientist and drug manufactures are using the snake venom to make new drugs. And we're watching and waiting for a bunch of treasure hunters to come up with a little gold?
Have we been had? The snake population is now down by half over the last 15 years.

The plot thickens!
Did the snake thieves find the treasure and some of it has found it's way onto the black market?
Will it appear on one of the next episodes as being found by the TH'ers?
Did snake guy throw himself in the rock and poison sea urchin infested ocean out of boredom?
Stay tuned! For our next exciting episode!

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The commercials are getting so long and plenty of them that I tend to just doze off[emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a story on the island by the Smithsonian Magazine. Interesting to note there used to be a family living there to tend the lighthouse - which is now automated.

Also interesting that the island was/is frequently visited (90 miles from the coast) by smugglers who capture snakes for the black market. The snakes got there because it used to be part of the coast of Brazil. My Google MAps must be broke because i show it to be 20 miles from the coast.

Ilha de Queimada Grande: World's Deadliest Island | Science | Smithsonian

https://www.google.com/maps/@-24.4633332,-46.637419,29297m/data=!3m1!1e3

Hey Charlie, have you ever heard of "Continental drift" ? Just kidding, but I also heard that the snakes evolved from the species in Brazil, evolved how I don't know.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
If the Pirates/drug smugglers found the treasure, they probably just threw it in the ocean. It is probably more feasable for them to move snakes on the black market at a higher profit and raise fewer questions than if they tried fencing gold, silver, and jewels. They will have my interest until the season finale, but they will not find any treasure. :sadsmiley:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The commercials are getting so long and plenty of them that I tend to just doze off[emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"DVR"

this is why I record and watch after it is over.
it is much easier to enjoy if you ff through commercials

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I like to watch it when it comes on, then I re-watch it several times via the internet to see what I missed during the broadcast. The internet cuts out the commercials so I don't have to do a thing.
It was strange the other night when they re-broadcast it and showed scenes which had been previously deleted. Depending on what they are, it makes it interesting. After snakeman's trip to the hospital he said he was feeling fine until "nap time" ,as Jeff put it. Hey, he could have been fine and just slipped on a pile of loose gold coins ??? Or maybe slipped on another BLOCK.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm just wait'n to see some bling! ....maybe tomorrow's the day! Lol! I know better.

Now you sound like Mel Fisher, "tomorrow's the day". But, his patience did pay off, while these guys only have 2 weeks or two months ? I don't remember how long their permit was for. Bling would be extraordinarily nice though. Last I heard, no commitement has yet been made by Discovery Channel to re-new this series, which means that they either found nothing or still waiting for analysis of items found to see if it warrants a new contract ? I keep searching to see if anybody spills the beans on this operation, but it is all tight lipped. It would be hard to keep it quiet if something was found.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are probably right, but I can always hope....and then just go detecting!

Mudflap I did that last episode, dozed off and slept right thru the 15 minutes of the show and 45 of commercials. :laughing7:

I did find It in on demand but you can't ff thru the darned commercials!

So what do you think hey will find or do next to keep us watching?
I think they have to find either a bit of treasure or more treasure symbols. They have to find something to show or the whole thing is just going to look like someone's bad vacation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions