Where do criminals usually hide there cash?

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wondering if there's a book that shows common places they use, was reading yes the sun will also rise I know at one point some inmates told him they sometimes hide money at rest stops. I'm wondering where would be odd to see guy digging hole at one or do they hide it actually in the rest stop somewhere? I googled money found a rest stop, funny it mentioned cops won't tell how or where money was hidden.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From being in the scrap business over a decade I had my fare share of conversations with many folks that one time or many times had done something wrong/bad/stupid/or just plain life choices, and the topic of money came up. Well the easy way to answer this is to scoop up water in the hands and try to hold it, the result is it runs through the fingers quickly and gone. This is the same for the money, quickly got-quickly spent-no gain -just a loss.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a fairly old book called the Treasure Hunters' Manual by Karl Von Mueller.

It has several chapters dealing with every possible location in which things might have been hidden, or in which caches have historically been found.

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to say that a majority of criminals around here hide their cash in heroin dealer's pockets.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Hummm.... here is where one criminal hid it-

A few days later, on 3 August 2005, FBI agents raided Jefferson's home in Northeast Washington and, as noted in an 83-page affidavit filed to support a subsequent raid on his Congressional office, "found $90,000 of the cash in the freezer, in $10,000 increments wrapped in aluminum foil and stuffed inside frozen-food containers". Serial numbers found on the currency in the freezer matched serial numbers of funds given by the FBI to their informant.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Wondering if there's a book that shows common places they use, was reading yes the sun will also rise I know at one point some inmates told him they sometimes hide money at rest stops. I'm wondering where would be odd to see guy digging hole at one or do they hide it actually in the rest stop somewhere? I googled money found a rest stop, funny it mentioned cops won't tell how or where money was hidden.

That is a question for criminals.
Or someone who has studied their minds.
I don't recall the title of a more interesting thief's book from years back but was left with the impression very little is safe.
Crooks robbing crooks even.
People vary in hiding spots but there are consistent ones to check first.
One site mentioned is under bridges near top of embankment.
Once pulled into a parking lot at the right/wrong time.
A guy jumped out of a car stopped near the building, grabbed a fishing tackle box that was between the HVAC ducts and the building wall.
He jumped back into the car and they raced out of the lot.

Last edited:

Ham

Apr 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Money hidden in the refrigerator?.....it must have been "Cold Cash"!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Criminals probably hide their loot in safety deposit boxes. I heard of one criminal who robbed a bank and then shortly after deposited the stolen money at the same bank he robbed.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have to assume your criminal may not have had a copy of the book either.

There is no standard hiding place. Otherwise we'd all look there first.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I have read the people hiding the money usually do it out of sight of the general public's prying eyes, and depending on how quickly they may need to retrieve it determines how well it is hidden.

There was money (30K) hidden at a rest stop, wrapped in plastic buried behind a boulder with pebbles scattered on top the dirt. What led to it's discovery was the fact that the pebbles weren't a natural occurring feature in that area, it was out of place. The guy got curious and dug a little discovering the plastic & money.

I have searched motel rooms I have stayed at, haven't found anything yet.

Best advice I can give you, put yourself in the hider's shoes, think like he thought.
One more important thing, don't get caught, it can cost you dearly, most people hiding a lot of money now days are not up standing citizens and are armed and wouldn't think twice about putting a bullet in your head.

The FBI acquired 62K not far from me along with drugs in a house, but I doubt it was well hidden, probably was about to be laundered or used to purchase more drugs. I have seen suspicious people with backpacks, briefcases, suitcases, etc.

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hedge funds.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's spent before they get home!!!!!!!!

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you're talking about the mafia, or bigger league criminals, most don't have money long enough to hide it. Money has been found under floorboards, in walls, buried in yards... there are as many places to hide something as there are people to think of hiding places.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread