storage unit thief

golddigger65

Feb 2, 2010
Northern Calif
Detector(s) used
Gold bug/Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to my storage unit today to retrieve my welder and some tools. Suprise, someone broke into 4 units, mine included, and cleaned up. I lost my welder, bunches of tools, fishing gear antiques and much, much more. Lucky for me my recent treasure finds were stored at home.
From other units they got bikes, both kinds, guns, ammo, furniture ,we don't what else is missing we have no idea of the names or phone of some of the renters and the landlord is not responding. I secured my locker but two others have the doors crashed in and no way to secure them. Damn thieves, I would like to use a hammer on their knuckles for a massage!! End of rant.

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a bad deal gd65 , I hope someone with a Big stick catches up with them ..cheers Mick

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm mighty sorry to hear about this, man. I hope things work out to the good for you.

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your only hope is to check pawn shops and swap meets for around 100 miles around you.
Many thieves with a lot to sell will go to swap meet in the next county over because county cops only check for stuff taken in there county.

Also check Ebay, Craigslist.

Stealing is just the first part selling the stuff they took without getting caught is the hard part.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damnit!
Sorry.
Friday I helped a friend move. During, we stopped by his storage unit. I noticed it wasn't gated and was hidden from road. Not good. No night attendant either.
Pick well lit, gated units.
Hope you get to use yur hammer ��. ;)
Peace ✌

OP
OP
G

golddigger65

Feb 2, 2010
Northern Calif
Detector(s) used
Gold bug/Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
My son and I are going to our only local flea market today, our thieves are not too bright and use this as there outlet for stolen goods. And I am taking my hammer.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 12lb. sledge hammer I can loan ya!
Hope you find your stuff!

We've have stuff stolen from the house and truck. I hope you find them!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Get the security camera footage.

Let's see who they are, and post their pictures all over the place.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
,we don't what else is missing we have no idea of the names or phone of some of the renters and the landlord is not responding. I secured my locker but two others have the doors crashed in and no way to secure them.

Sorry to hear about your loss, and I hope that you had insurance.

It's a hard lesson to learn about public storage for many and the on site security. Price dictates what a person gets for extras, and it will be also where the storage units are placed to combat the problem of theft. Some of the first things a storage facility should have is a camera system, restricted access after hours or pass code and a video recorded gate entrance. A high end lock on the outside units are a must, spend the $$$ and get something that can't be cut with bolt cutters, if entry will take time they pass onto the easy pickings. Stand in front of the unit door and think could you get into the unit without detection of security-noise-and without being questioned by anyone? If you answer yes to one of them then find a better facility to store the stuff.
In the city most facilities are set up for theft prevention, in the rural area I drive by some storage facilities that a person could walk away with the whole facility and nobody would even care. I have used storage facilities off and on for 40 yrs and haven't had a single case off theft, luck probably had something to do with it, and not trusting "This will be ok" way of thinking has helped.

OP
OP
G

golddigger65

Feb 2, 2010
Northern Calif
Detector(s) used
Gold bug/Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Well we went looking for our stuff and had no luck, so will try on the 4th of July weekend yard sales.
Talked to the sheriffs office again about their investigation and, get this, the one that took the report is gone for a week and he will start his investigation when he returns next week. Pretty lame in my opinion that's over a week from the time of the break in's.
Gotta love small town cops.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am cleaning out a few storage units later this week, can I interest you in someone elses crap they left behind?

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thieves pick up on low risk situations............too bad you aren't allowed to put in your own "special" security system..........high voltage usually does the trick.............

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the "Republic of Ca". Since the passing of prop 47 and the prison realignment; our property crimes have gone through the roof. What was once an arrest is now nothing more than a ticket or notice to appear in court. The tweekers know it and steel anything they can now since it is also only a misdemeanor for possession of any controlled substance as well. We had a storage locker but took everything out. Had a home alarm system installed and got a Belgian Malinois for my 17 year old daughter.....Can't wait to retire and get out of this state. Sorry about you having to go through with loosing so much property. :BangHead:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thieves pick up on low risk situations............too bad you aren't allowed to put in your own "special" security system..........high voltage usually does the trick.............

Reminds me of a story.... Friend had custom old truck with beautiful rims. Keep in garage 95% of time. Did mechanic work on side. Pushed truck out on outer concrete pad @ those times. 100% of time neighbors large male dog would come over and pee on his rims. This went on and on with no resolution. So he put's a piece of plate steel in front of a rear wheel (1 in 4 chance). Runs old extension cord out to truck. Hooks 1 wire to rim and the other to the plate steel. He said he "missed the show" but he heard it! He told me the dog NEVER came near his truck again. Smart dog....

OP
OP
G

golddigger65

Feb 2, 2010
Northern Calif
Detector(s) used
Gold bug/Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
basque-man.
Good point, our small county has the highest percentage of felons on parole in Calif and the nearest parole officer is two hours away and rarely comes here. Tweekers, molesters, murderers and all the rest have free reign here.
Home invasion, burglary, is high on the list of crimes as well as gang shootings. Pretty sad for an area that has very small towns, the town were I live is 3100 strong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread