This, boys and girls, is why you should watch where you kneel when detecting...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man that is bad. Poison ivy does not bother me to bad unless it is on my shoe laces then between my fingers. I dip them in clorox to dry it out. Probably not the best idea. I am digging Sunday in the woods I will keep that in mind.
Get better and keep an eye on that...

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man! I feel for ya bro. That's some miserable crap to go through. Ranks right up there with chiggers in my book

It might "rank" up there.... but a bad case of chiggers wins hands down in my book. I've had both bad and I'll swim in ivy before I'll sign up for chiggers!!!!

Hey guy as others have said... Are ya sure it's poison ivy... "maybe" a bug bite or a small reptile bite? Take care..... :occasion14:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It might "rank" up there.... but a bad case of chiggers wins hands down in my book. I've had both bad and I'll swim in ivy before I'll sign up for chiggers!!!!

Brad ain't kidding! Where he lives in Middle Tennessee, they have the Chiggers from Hell. They are nasty buggers and I got my dose of them in 2013 when I visited Brad and Bonnie and went back to the cave Brad found with the Mud Mounds with etchings/carvings on them. I had to bathe with Clorox to kill them and get rid of the itch which ain't fun but it is much better than scratching myself to death and not being able to sleep for days!:BangHead:???

Frank

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I am one of those people who gets one free shot a season. The first time I hit poison ivy nothing happens. Then, the second time it nails me!

A few years ago, I went out to the garbage can in our fence row. I looked down and said to myself, "That looks like poison ivy." Then, I thought, "No it can't be this house has been here 85 years." I grabbed that poison ivy plant in my bare hands and pulled it out and put it in the garbage can. Nothing happened.

A few weeks later, I noticed the poison ivy plant had come back. I went in the house and came back with neoprene gloves and pulled that plant out and put it in a bag and tossed it in the garbage can. Then i went in the house and washed those gloves without touching them in any other way. I ended up going to the doctor.

I was for a long time a Boy Scout leader. On camp-outs, we would often ask a boy if he passed his plant identification requirement for advancement. When he said, "Yes," we would ask, "Then why are you standing in a poison ivy patch?" :D

Rogerv

Jan 25, 2013
Beltsville Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garret GTA-1000
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Bounty Hunter (came as BOGO from Kellyco)
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best thing for poison Ivy for getting rid of it as well as making yourself immune is a product called Rhus Tox. I used to get it bad just looking at it. I went through shots treatment etc an nothing worked someone told me about Rhus Tox and i tried it and i Haven't caught it since I was 18 I am now 67 my brother in law was the same he uses it every year before hunting season and hasent caught poison ivy in 20 years. apparently its Poison Ivy extract you take a couple a day for a week and it makes you build up a immunity to it. It is also extremely cheep but you normally have to ask the drugest for it unless your in hunting territory in the east.

Floristweb

Feb 21, 2015
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe this will help.... There are many ways to use Peach tree leaves to treat poison vegetation human reactions. They (poison ivy, oak, sumac, and others) all cause a reaction from the same chemical. Oddly, peach leaves also cure (in my opinion and experience) many kinds of skin ailments. Some old folks did the tincture or liniment method... Some of which are great, many though are just "snake oil". This treatment I know works, and ya don't have to waste good vodka to prepare it :wink: But I do believe that peach leaf liniment is great for winter skin irritation, or if you can't get fresh peach leaves (peaches don't grow everywhere, so liniment, or tincture are a viable but less effective alternatives that last for years and work if done properly---(Not the youtube /herbology method)

Here's the easy summer method.... simply find a large stock pot and pack it full of peach tree leaves, then cover with water and boil (adding water as necessary). Boil for at least 1/2 hour (preferably longer - 2 hours if you plan to bottle & store it frozen for later use) Then pour the water into a tub and fill with hot/warm water and soak, """"YES SOAK for at least 20 minutes""" I sometimes boil three pots of leaves for more/faster/better results... seed ticks usually back out (too weird when you see their carcusses in the water), chiggers are eradicated and the chemical they inject that causes skin eruptions later is neutralized, if an infection has begun, it is (in my experience halted on the spot)... This is a cure in my opinion for most near surface infections and reactions. It has worked in deeper infections too. I can't tell you the why's and How's... I can tell you my grandma saved me many times with this from simple "free" remedy from the hell of infection, rashes, bites and worst of all - calamine lotion - Not to mention heavy antibiotics (mom took me to doctors, doctors actually made it worse, grandma fixed it in less than an hour, Mom is still alive and says grandma was right.... AND it has saved friends in the midst of horrible seed tick infestations, no-see-ums, mosquitoes, fire ant and even major multiple infected bites, poison plants, psoriasis, eczema etc... they never believe it works, till they try it... For a regular stock pot it takes at a minimum as many peach leaves as you can stuff "AND I do mean stuff" in a t-shirt bag (Walmart bag "we used a regular brown paper grocery bag in my youth") For my large stock pot I use twice as many. I actually dump leaves and all into the tub and use a straining mesh to drain the tub to keep it as strong as possible. The weaker your peach water the longer you should soak. Oddly it often (in my experience always) has immediate effects, thus the reason I consider it a cure, If I take a bath and no longer have a rash I'd call that a cure... But the FDA might not agree... Hope this helps someone... BTW Peach leaf baths smell like almonds. I am not chemist, biologist, or a doctor, and I can't say to do this, I can't say it's safe... I can say I have done it throughout my life (ain't no spring chicken), and I have had nothing but a good experience from it... DO NOT CONSIDER THIS MEDICAL ADVICE! This is just my opinion on something that I personally use. BTW, for best results I sometimes boil three pots to add to one bath (but many don't have as many stock pots as I do) I have never hurt a peach tree taking the leaves, heck I need to go harvest our peaches, they are ready :occasion14:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
long pants & Knee Pads should help.

If not, maybe Long pants & these

Untitled.jpg

robo pads (knee pads) « Kott Koating

heepiepow

Aug 27, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ugh that's terrible TrpnBils. I'm hugely allergic to urushiol and my arms looked like that a few weeks after getting my detector because I didn't realize the roots can also transfer it, and the plants in that area didn't have leaves yet.

Bummer with a capital B!
Mend well and fast.
I once drove an 8' long lightning rod into a " mud dobber" nest. Them bees �� was pissed!
Woke up with one eye swollen shut.
My favorite location to detect has shards of glass and rock. I wear hard plastic knee pads. Absolutely hate 'em, but they do save these ole' knees.
GL
Peace ✌

Reminds me of a time I was lawnmowing and went right over a hornet or yellowjacket nest. Five or six quickly went up my jeans and furiously stung my calf. I ran into the house screaming and got nude really quick. Maybe I should've depantsed right in my front yard. Damn that hurt.

Another thing to watch out for when kneeling is druggie needles! Local users here are generally kind enough to cap the tip after use but I've been surprised by several.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bummer on the knee buddy. I'm now at the point were I don't notice the tiny black thorn slivers in my knee until they zit up, or my eye just catches them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread