can someone identify this rock and any additional information?

sargdave

Jul 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• WP_20150701_08_32_47_Pro (1).jpg
    WP_20150701_08_32_47_Pro (1).jpg
    626.8 KB · Views: 93
  • WP_20150701_08_33_08_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150701_08_33_08_Pro.jpg
    633.6 KB · Views: 82

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
No idea maybe the rocks were on top of the maybe loose rocks then magma got in between the rocks and it turned into a large rock no idea cool rock thx for sharing
Jolteon

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post it in the rock and Gem section. Some experts in there will tell you exactly what it is.
Welcome to T-Net.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First of all welcome to T-net...!!! :occasion14:

Since it's Thursday and I know EVERYTHING on Thursdays here's what it is. It's an ancient tortoise cooked in the shell when it couldn't outrun the magna! :laughing7:

Ok.... I know, let's move on (again).

Ham

Apr 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taking an uneducated guess.......Possibly petrified wood.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
My thoughts are that the specimen was originally dried, cracked mud in or very near the entrance to a cave. That Calcite or other form of Carbonates flowed in the cracks, the specimen then hardened into stone/rock and then rain and/or wind erosion weathered away the hardened but softer mud, leaving the harder Calcite/Carbonate protruding above the specimen's surface. Note: Calcite and other forms of Carbonates are what create Stalagmites and Stalactites in caves.

Frank

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one weird looking rock! Almost looks like bone fragments. Hope you get an ID on it.

heepiepow

Aug 27, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well that looks really weird. Not that I know what I'm talking about--but I suppose most igneous rocks are pure igneous and spend most of their time in the mantle or upper crust slowly being very hot and mixing and growing; yet there has to exist some "shock zones" where igneous extrusions are hot enough to infiltrate and alter local in situ rocks but not hot enough to get beyond a quick alteration. Maybe this is one of the rare "igneous meets and alters some mud flat or sedimentary rock enough to change its atomic structure via heat but not enough to fully develop/melt/mix with it" or uh something. If my theory is right I think any crystals (in the "core" in the exposed middle) would be extremely small--microscopic, due to a very quick relative time from introduction to cooling.

If none of us dunderheads can answer the question I'd suggest trotting in to a local college or university's geology department and presenting it. They might be as interested and baffled as I am.

Last edited:

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a ham to me.

ham.jpg

As mentioned above, posting in the rock and gem forum will get more experts looking at it.

OP
OP
S

sargdave

Jul 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please someone direct me to the "rock and gem" section. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread