pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I still think ya ought to cut the drywall a foot up on the studs (if it's drywalled) and removed the shown insulation. Then Kilz the woodwork showing and seal the floor also. Then replace the insulation and reinstall new drywall, mud and paint. Sounds pretty simple from where I'm sitting.... :occasion14:

This was the order of demolition carpet, baseboard, 1 foot of drywall including the door jams, then everything to the point of this. The wall that is showing along the block wall has no smell (that would be too easy) it's the interior load bearing wall and the exterior load bearing wall. The worse is where the wife poured the pile of ground coffee on top as it helps masks the odour. So all I have done besides washing the the floor is put a temporary vapour barrier back up to block the odours coming off from the exterior wall covering under the siding, black fibreboard had a better R rating than plywood or OSB and it smells still like new pavement still after 30 yrs. That will come off when the new windows are installed. But until then it's back to the bunny issue at hand.

IMG_20150726_205532667.jpg

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ohh this thread brings back bad memories!!! I've dealt with cat pee wood antique furniture and houses. No offense to the people suggesting enzyme cleaners or eliminators . It has never worked for me. It helped, but on damp days or the heat the smell came back. We used that stuff in pump yard sprayers soaking everything down. Maybe we didn't have the right kind. The best thing we found was to scrub it up the best you can and seal it in with anything that seals. with two or three heavy coats. Urethane, kilz, anything that seals.

I had a landing that a dog peed on for years. One day I decided to scrub it to remove the smell. By the end of the day the landing and staircase was tore out and laying in the yard. She had to use a ladder to do laundry for a month. Just a big hole from the kitchen to backdoor to basement! I COULDN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!! Oh ya, there might have been a few beers involved with that decision. :laughing7:

The wood furniture the same thing. Tried cleaners, and about every home remedy type concoction on the net.Citrus,milk, mix baking soda and lemons, stand on your head, spin around, ask the the pet pee gods to make the smell go away while blowing out candle(2 times),Mix herbs, put them in your nose...etc....... The smell would be cut, and sometimes gone. but over time came back. cleaned everything, sealed every part with a couple of coats urethane inside and out. And haven't smelled it since. It was that or throw it away, so far it's worked and that was about 3 years ago.

Some of it was so bad that the legs were starting to rot from the acid of the pee. Some of that stuff didn't make it, and ended up trashed. Just to give an idea of how soaked some of it was.

Ohhh....Check your duct work too if you have any around where the rabbit was peeing....We ran into that too. It ran through the floor and into the duct work just a little bit is horrible when the air or heat comes on, and blows all through the house......After that house, I will never have an inside pet.....EVER! And I like animals!

And since I'm on the subject and rambling....:laughing7: If you live in a neighborhood where the neighbors have dogs and cats running around spraying your doors,porchs,basement windows etc.....We dumped bottles full of straight ammonia around all that stuff. It stopped them for a long time.

Oh you just brought back a memory (30yrs ago)of a flooring job I did for exchange for rent at a boarding house. The landlady moved out and I was to redo the dining and living rooms that were attached as one long room. This was a great Victorian styled home and the renters occupied the upper floors of the home. I ripped out the carpets and the decision was made to refinish the wood floors. I rented the sanders and got the job done and went in the next day and there was these big spots of pee all over the floor. It reeked of urine and I thought on the drunks had knocked over his pee containers and it leaked down onto the floor. Well after the query to them (didn't go well, and a big sorry from me) I found out the truth. The woman had these small dogs many years before that just went everywhere, so 7-8 yrs after the dogs died this pee was still in the wood! Sanding it just opened up a whole lot of work, so after a few weeks everything settled down, and I stained it a nice English Oak colour (dark) and then put a bullet proof coatings over the stain.The pee staining that came through just enhanced the wood colours. Everybody was very pleased with the results, but still to this day I can remember the job.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This was the order of demolition carpet, baseboard, 1 foot of drywall including the door jams, then everything to the point of this. The wall that is showing along the block wall has no smell (that would be too easy) it's the interior load bearing wall and the exterior load bearing wall. The worse is where the wife poured the pile of ground coffee on top as it helps masks the odour. So all I have done besides washing the the floor is put a temporary vapour barrier back up to block the odours coming off from the exterior wall covering under the siding, black fibreboard had a better R rating than plywood or OSB and it smells still like new pavement still after 30 yrs. That will come off when the new windows are installed. But until then it's back to the bunny issue at hand.

View attachment 1192172

I guess I just don't understand exactly... load bearing or not I guess I'm wondering why you can't strip the drywall/fiberboard... put out any insulation... then seal woodwork and surrounding floor and repair. I understand I probably not getting the whole problem straight.... but best of luck to ya buddy... Brad

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess I just don't understand exactly... load bearing or not I guess I'm wondering why you can't strip the drywall/fiberboard... put out any insulation... then seal woodwork and surrounding floor and repair. I understand I probably not getting the whole problem straight.... but best of luck to ya buddy... Brad
I have stripped the dry wall, and insulation completely, the fibreboard is on the outside and shows because there's no drywall and insulation left in the wall cavity. The wood either will have to be totally sealed where it doesn't wick out any longer as replacing it isn't an option. The sealing of the concrete floor is the next step and the problem sections of the wood.

There's been many great suggestions on the thread and each is been researched and there will be a conclusion to this I hope as the fall season is too important to be missed out on completely.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got yea.... So it's all ready to be "sealed" with something now. You just don't know what yet...? Right? Well whatever you chose I hopes it works great for ya.... Brad

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got yea.... So it's all ready to be "sealed" with something now. You just don't know what yet...? Right? Well whatever you chose I hopes it works great for ya.... Brad

Right, just have to get something that the off gassing is too harsh, if there is a product put there we'll get it. There is the product that Old Jersey Girl suggested is an interesting product.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread