pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How can something that seems so simple to resolve take so much time out of one's life? Yup I found it and it's rabbit pee! Bought a place and the previous owner said that the daughter had a bunny, well stupid me I should of asked if bunny was caged or a free to pee roaming bunny? No it wasn't evident till the warm humid weather came upon us last year and the distinctive odour of the past bunny rabbit. So out with the carpets downstairs, then we tried washing the cement floors, then ground coffee with newspaper which helped for awhile, an enzyme blocker for urine. We tried a sealer on the concrete but it came right through it after a bit of time passed. So things seemed to have worked for awhile then with warm humid days returning so did the smell, so I did the task of the following and did the rip out and guess what the smell was in the studding a good 6" of the base plate of the stud walls. Guess what it's still in the concrete and the only good thing that I have heard in the last day that would help resolve the problem is to light a fire to the problem. :laughing7:

Now is there anyone out there that has had a problem such as this and has resolved it? I have a chemical sensitivity to a lot of harsh smelling things so it limits the use to certain things. So having this eating my spare time up and having no time to even think about getting out to swing a coil, I need to resolve the issue quickly. Here is where I am now with the problem and more ???. Yes the pink panther is going to disappear soon as I think the bunny has been hanging out with him. :(

IMG_20150703_154755899.jpg IMG_20150703_154811448_HDR.jpg

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I have done several remodeling jobs and never imagined rabbit urine could be so strong and longlasting . I thought of Jewish Lighting too as a solution. I hope you find a remedy. Maybe this might help though. Good Luck.
SCOE 10X Super Concentrated Odor Eliminator

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hell of a problem.....!

Ok... not the same thing (I know) but here's what I had to do. I had a cat urine problem in one room many years ago in an old home. It was horrible! I cleaned carpet, tore out carpet, washed walls, sprayed walls, painted walls and floor and STILL had strong cat urine smell. Sorry I can't remember the exact name of the product but I finally got a sealer I believe from a KILZ product. I brushed it on the floors, walls and it went totally away. Then I finished room. Now I had wooden floors not concrete.... but I wish ya the best guy! Somebody will know for sure.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe that was the reason that the last owners moved, the smell of bunny pee drove them crazy :laughing7: Good luck on making the smell go away.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to a concrete supply store and get orange peel cleaner it's very expensive but effective. It's like pure citric acid and will even remove the old sealer and smells like oranges.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man I have done several remodeling jobs and never imagined rabbit urine could be so strong and longlasting . I thought of Jewish Lighting too as a solution. I hope you find a remedy. Maybe this might help though. Good Luck.
SCOE 10X Super Concentrated Odor Eliminator

Hell of a problem.....!

Ok... not the same thing (I know) but here's what I had to do. I had a cat urine problem in one room many years ago in an old home. It was horrible! I cleaned carpet, tore out carpet, washed walls, sprayed walls, painted walls and floor and STILL had strong cat urine smell. Sorry I can't remember the exact name of the product but I finally got a sealer I believe from a KILZ product. I brushed it on the floors, walls and it went totally away. Then I finished room. Now I had wooden floors not concrete.... but I wish ya the best guy! Somebody will know for sure.

Thanks for the suggestions and I'll certainly look into both. What has me over a barrel so to speak is the one corner where the load bearing wall meets the exterior studding wall section, yup bunny picked that corner of the room to do what it had to to do! This will be a problem as I don's want to shore up the house and replace the load bearing wall section as I've been there and done that, so soaking the wood with a odour killing product then apply the coatings after is a better option.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We bought our house, inspected it twice and when we moved in, we had to rip out the carpet due to cat urine.. We used Kilz, cleaned the concrete 1st with bleach and water, then paint it with a coat of KILZ. Ours was so bad that we had to remove all baseboards and replace all carpet tac strips. After we were done you'd never know that a cat hat pissed all over the house.

We did paint the bottom 2 ft of the dry with kilz. We also had to replace the front door and storm doors due to the urine eating them away.

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pepperj.... I think your trying to do the right thing with sealers but just haven't found he correct one yet. I see Loco-digger used the KILZ product also so I think I'm right about the product. You could even do the stud work the first 1-2 ft. up also. If it's in the insulation wack off the first 2 ft. and just replace... duh. Sounds like the "orange" stuff will work but's its expensive.... KILZ isn't real cheap but it's well worth it! And a gallon does go a long ways. If it works on concrete (?) maybe a 5 gallon bucket, do stud work first and then floor. Guessing here now... 5 gallon bucket maybe $100.00 U.S. dollars?

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get yourself a pet skunk and keep it in the basement. You'll never be bothered by the pee smell again.

.......just kidding, hope you find a solution.........short of re-pouring the floor.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I'm from the south and we do all kinds of crazy stuff here but who keeps a damn rabbit in the house unless its in a frying pan?? Rabbit urine is stronger than ammonina and males are worse.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
finally something I actually know something about.first the kilz idea isnt a bad idea.only the oil base version should be considered.There is a better answer made by zinnser called b.i.n.

b.i.n. is a shellac based primer.nothing,not even tannin acids come through this stuff.odors are easy work for it.It is only cleanable with denatured alcohol,so just figure to throw away any application tools.Do not spray it,its too fast and hard to clean the pump,and expensive.A professional painter can spray it,not homeowner.alcohol base is explosive,like lacquer spraying so only a pro should be involved in spraying it.kilz oil too for that matter.

with respirator,NO source of possible ignition,plenty of ventillation problem solve forever.
cheers

Last edited:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigfoot1 is right- that product is hard core - should knock it out , take all the safety precautions seriously though - it is
nasty stuff !

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try the enzyme based odor eliminator sold for treating cat urine. Had a family member with a bladder problem let loose in the passenger seat of my two year old car. I poured about a quart of that stuff in the seat and have never smelled anything even on the hottest days. Probably doesn't work as well on old stuff but sure couldn't hurt.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kilz is an outstanding primer.
Also, "Bin" has a great odor neutralizer/primer.
GL
Peace ✌

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would try the enzyme based odor eliminator sold for treating cat urine. Had a family member with a bladder problem let loose in the passenger seat of my two year old car. I poured about a quart of that stuff in the seat and have never smelled anything even on the hottest days. Probably doesn't work as well on old stuff but sure couldn't hurt.

This one of the first things that we tried, it worked for a short period of time then came right back to haunt us once again.

khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, AM Recon Sluice, Technetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I think I'd be looking at the disclosure agreement on the purchase of the house. Sure they may have stated they had a pet bunny but from what you're experiencing it's obvious they were aware of the problem and were legally bound to disclose it. Regardless of the fix for it. Just my .02 worth.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think I'd be looking at the disclosure agreement on the purchase of the house. Sure they may have stated they had a pet bunny but from what you're experiencing it's obvious they were aware of the problem and were legally bound to disclose it. Regardless of the fix for it. Just my .02 worth.

We did an as-is-where-is purchase agreement as we were compensated with a price reduction in the purchase price. Our laws are a bit different and there is few things that a person can go back on the seller once the paperwork is signed. It's a nice thought but by the time it was over the lawyers get richer and that's about it.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
White vinegar is an excellent odor neutralizer. You
may want to try that in a small area first.
Kilz is quite toxic so you have to have a 3M brand mask
With the dual respirators that works keeping fumes out.
I was a licensed painting contractor for a number of years and have a lot of
experience with kilz. I'm under the impression it doesn't work
well on surfaces that have moisture like concrete!
Best of luck!

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For fires, water damage, black mold etc you need a sealer a certain kind that damage control companies use called an encapsulator. Nothing can come through it that's it's design. Kilz makes a kind of it but there are brands specific to it and possibly b.i.n mentioned earlier may be some not sure but the product has to read encapsulate or not going to seal the problem.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread