Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that stinks ..these are coins you can still find in circulation...and the only time i have purchased things from Littleton, is then they have a deal to buy coins at Face Value....I was buying the gold dollars for a dollar a piece free shipping, so those i didnt mind buy, but they do that to try and hook you. the catolog they send have the most outrageous prices for junk silver and other coins

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the update.

We live & we learn.

I truly hope Shipping was not that much$.

As for the Foreign coins ; IMO if He likes the design / Style or the Country means something to him , It may be OK to pay a little for what you don't see everyday.
&
I suppose if he is happy , it's all good like it was said he did not spend Hundreds or More. but He will get the Offers for those type coins all the time now.

I'm VERY lucky to have a Wonderful old Coin Store near me to shop at ,where those types of coins are in the "Bargain Bins"
(well all except the 1954 s ) but it they had one in that Condition I assume it would cost me about $1. They gotta make $ to.
Also No Sales tax on Coins in Ga, Helps A-lot.

For Me it's BLUE BOOK All the Way..............(YEA RIGHT..LOL)
Davers

OP
OP
hostagedk

hostagedk

Feb 12, 2014
PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, thing is Davers is that he might of not spent hundreds now but he is now hooked and said he may be purchasing more of them if he doesn't have them in his collection. He literally just started 2 months ago the most and i'm not sure if he thinks he needs the coins now or is impatient, but to me he should look around and research before making decisions on buying coins out of a catalog as it's just like anything else. Most catalog products are complete rip offs.

I think I am going to sit him down and let him read your responses to give him more of a concept and knowledge of CRH before doing any further business in the hobby. I appreciate the help and responses from all of you as it helps me understand even a little more as I have yet to really do any CRH or get really into coins. I'm more of one that just likes to do metal detecting as a fun enjoyment just too see what I find.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
An uncirculated coin will aways be worth more than a circulated coin. Even with modern coins there is a big difference. One example is the 1983 quarter, circulated it is only worth face, but uncirculated they can go up to $50 depending if they are slabbed (professionally graded) or not, the reason for that value is that they never made any 1983 mint collector's set that year, people had to pick them out of circulation to save them, buy that point they were worn. Also, with older coins, condition greatly affects value. A US Draped Bust large cent may be worth $30 or so in a very worn grade, when you go up to Almost uncirculated it will not be $2000 or so, now if you go to fully uncirculated it is worth $6000+. Common date mercury dimes are worth their silver value in circulated condition, in uncirculated condition one may be worth $30. Seated dimes are worth $10 or so circulated, uncirculated they are $200 or so.

The reason for this value change is supply and demand, considering that most of the coins made will be put into circulation right away most will get worn. A collector may pick out and save one shinier one for his/her collection, even then, it may even have some slight wear. The thing is, not many uncirculated coins get saved, especially before there were Mint Sets made for collectors. Also, every collector wants a shiny coin instead of a worn coin for their collection, even I will prefer to buy the uncirculated coin, there is a market for them.

The problem with the coins you are talking about is that they will probably never get that rare (asumming that they are modern coins made after 1964), considering how many of those coins they made (4,000,000,000 pennies are made each year on average) they will probably never get too rare. With such a high initial number made many will be saved. In 30 years the value won't be too much more than it was today considering how common those coins are. Still, ask what years are the coin, if they are old and the price is right, you can try to buy them. They are a good start to a collection. Also, if you want uncirculated coins go to your bank, sometimes they carry uncirculated coins which you can get for face value.

Sorry if I messed up anything in this reply but am on my way out the door any rushed a little

Anyways, Thanks

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Just read the reply that he bought them, like said before, you live and you learn. And like you said, he never sank thousands of dollars in some coins that were way less expensive than he paid. $9 may not be a good price, but still it's only $9.

Also, The 1943 penny is not uncirculated :)

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The negative I see about purchasing uncirculated coins is this:

In my early days of collecting, I purchased quite a few "graded" uncirculated coins. These higher grades have no universal standards, except from the seller and the buyer. I'd go to coin shows to test the water. What I purchased as MS-65, the dealer would say AU when I offer for sale.

There is FAR too much leeway for outright deception.

Remember Grading is Subjective.
With my OCD I can find a problem with almost any Coin. LOL

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't buy coins online or from a Catalog but Maybe E-bey would be a cool place for him to look , 'If he knows how to research the Sellers & the best way to pay W/O being Ripped off'.

Like CM Said With the Mint producing Many Millions of coins even over 100 years ago certain coins will never be "Rare"
Then when you get into Grading with #'s 1-70 it makes my head hurt thinking about all the possibilities like Combos of grade , mintage #,s + all the Fakes out there of Key & Semi Key Date Coins.:BangHead:
I don't even know if this makes sense..:dontknow:

In the end the Coins will be just pieces of metal & worth only what somebody will pay for them.

Just thinking .
I wonder how many common Silver & even Copper coins were melted down when metals topped out a few years ago.:icon_scratch:
:coffee2: & Xanax Time:BangHead:???:hello:

OP
OP
hostagedk

hostagedk

Feb 12, 2014
PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read the reply that he bought them, like said before, you live and you learn. And like you said, he never sank thousands of dollars in some coins that were way less expensive than he paid. $9 may not be a good price, but still it's only $9.

Also, The 1943 penny is not uncirculated :)

I never said it was, if you read under the pictures I attatched I said the steel wheat was circulated.

OP
OP
hostagedk

hostagedk

Feb 12, 2014
PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't buy coins online or from a Catalog but Maybe E-bey would be a cool place for him to look , 'If he knows how to research the Sellers & the best way to pay W/O being Ripped off'.

Like CM Said With the Mint producing Many Millions of coins even over 100 years ago certain coins will never be "Rare"
Then when you get into Grading with #'s 1-70 it makes my head hurt thinking about all the possibilities like Combos of grade , mintage #,s + all the Fakes out there of Key & Semi Key Date Coins.:BangHead:
I don't even know if this makes sense..:dontknow:

In the end the Coins will be just pieces of metal & worth only what somebody will pay for them.

Just thinking .
I wonder how many common Silver & even Copper coins were melted down when metals topped out a few years ago.:icon_scratch:
:coffee2: & Xanax Time:BangHead:???:hello:

Very true.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions