I may not be MD material

Kya

May 9, 2007
Kentucky
I have been thinking of getting an MD as a new hobby
(since I am bored stiff with all my crafty stuff).
I went outside and brushed my dog until she was near bald ;) then I decided to work in my flower beds.
First, the pollen makes me puff eye-balled
and then..... I was waking worms up (ewwwww, I'm not a fan).
I was digging holes between my flowers to get an idea of depth
and digging is not easy with my lack of muscles.

Bringing my evening to a close was a tick on my arm.
ACK!!!

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I think you would do great. I am sure you have read posts about hunting schools and kiddie play lots. Easy hunting and digging in the sand and chips. Finds are pretty good. Don't worry about the heavy digging. They make some tools that make it easier, knives, screwdrivers, ice picks, etc for stuff close to the surface. For the heavy digging, get a partner. More fun that way sometimes.

Just go for it. You'll have a ball and you will have a new respect for pull tabs and pop tops.

Daryl

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Your first glimpse of silver or gold in that hole and all those problems will be a thing of the past.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I agree with the professor! Try the tot lots and other easier diggings and get a partner for the other trips! David and I always go together, even the easy stuff, we take turns swinging and digging. As you do more detecting you will start building up those muscles too! ;) Have fun!

OP
OP
K

Kya

May 9, 2007
Kentucky
I definately need to find a buddy if I start traipsing around.
The world is getting too darn scary for anyone, let alone a female with her nose in the ground.
Plus, I need someone to protect me from gangsta worms. ;D

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
lol Kya I am certain there are plenty of helpers who would be glad to protect you from the gangsta worms when you are not working tot lots ;)

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
You have a point there but probably less worms crawling up between your fingers ;) More good people detecting tot lots might make them less attractive for the other less savory worms as well. They don't like witnesses. Just my opinion though.

OP
OP
K

Kya

May 9, 2007
Kentucky
I used to spend hours looking for heart shaped rocks and four leaf clovers.
I did pretty good too.
Of course I had my kid with me so she would play and I would search.
She now has allergies to spending too much time with me.
Like mentioned, I will need to find a buddy even if I just have to borrow my girlfriends youngins'.
I don't mind my own company but I already know everything I'm going to say and I'm tired of the argueing. ;)

I'm sure that my husband would go out with me but his spare time is pretty slim.
I know if I want to do it that once I get started I'll be fine.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you enjoy out doors , don't mind getting a little dirty, and have a fondness for tin foil, pull tabs, nails, and rusty stuff, then metal detecting might be for you.
I love it, spending hours with nothing more than a few coins, rusty what is its, and the excitment that I might actually find a real treasure one day. The great thing about the hobby is that you make it yours , whatever you want it to be. If you want to hunt just coins and jewerly, or beaches, or for relics, or civil war items, or the list is endless. You can spend 1 day a month, or hunt everyday. I will say if you get discourgaged or bored easily you might want to borrow a detector and try it out first. I will also say a hunting buddy is almost a must now a days. Not only does it give you someone to share the up and downs with its a must for all different safety reason.
Best of luck and enjoy...remember its a hobby and is suppose to be fun!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The world is getting too darn scary for anyone, let alone a female with her nose in the ground.

I lack the little smiley icons to express myself adequately in response to that comment.

You could try renting a MD first.

Get a long handled trowel like the Wilcox 250 or 300 to seperate yourself from those worm beasties. The Lesche is marvelous for digging as it is narrow, sharp, and the "ears" serve as palm rests to push it down into hard soil.

wilcox%20300s.jpg

lesche%20%20digging%20tool.jpg

Canadian Treasure Seekers has a tool that allows you to stand up and cut a "regular size" plug with foot pressure. I'd probably have one of these but I already have a similar, though larger, digger.

cts%20long%20digging%20tool.jpg

And learn to bend at the knees. :D

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
I have a buddy at work who took an interest and talked about getting a detector. I didnt' think it would be a good fit for him. He is on the heavy side. Anyway I took him to a park we had recently gotten silver from and let him use one of my detectors. He picked up on it fairly quickly and was off digging stuff on his own in no time. We did about 45 minutes and went to another spot in the woods where he mostly watched for about an hour. The next day he told me how exhausted he was after our outing and how sore he was. He thanked me for taking him and told me he realized that the hobby was definitely not for him.

K

Kentucky Kache

Kya, become a cache hunter. Most of your time will be spent doing research and dreaming. ;)

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
I say your just about par with the rest of us, Kya.

Metal detecting is all about having fun it dosent matter what or what you may not find. Its getting out there for peace an quiet or getting togather with a bunch of friends and yacking away.
Like any other hobby Its all about what you make it. Not your strenghts or weaknesses

OP
OP
K

Kya

May 9, 2007
Kentucky
I like that hand trowel, Charlie P.

I believe I'm going to order the Ace 250 (soon).
It isn't a price that will hurt us....plus free s&h and 5 free gifts. ;)

free free free (I need a dancing smilie here) ;D

I'm not in a hurry to start digging up the globe
since I have plenty to keep me busy this time of year.

I have never used an MD and I don't know anyone that has one.
I could or would rent but I know just one day out
would wear me out and I might give up too soon.
If I buy one I'll use it more than once because I'm a tightwad like that. ;)
If I buy one I won't ever have to wish I owned one is the way I am seeing it.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck and don't be afraid to post often with questions. You won't wear everyone here out. The best way to learn is to teach. I'm just beginning with a new detector (many more bells and whistles than I am used to) and it's like starting over . . . almost.

Bury some coins in your yard and mark them with golf tees. Practice, practice, practice.

Kilika

Apr 6, 2007
NW Washington (State)
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, GMT
Go For It, Girl!

Don't like worms? Get some gloves :)

Out of shape? Start some stretching exercises now, that way you'll be ready when your MD gets here :)

Worried about muggers? Go to popular places when there's plenty of people around. Or friends yards. Or any private property (with permission, of course) :)

Getting an Ace 250? I love mine! Good value, and easy to learn. :)

I like your frugal thinking. Just buy it. :) I think the biggest challenge is patience. Be prepared to dig alot of junk, but persistence will pay off. Besides, half the fun is the anticipation! Every time you get a signal... what could it be?? It's a blast! :D

Good Luck, HH & Get Out There, Girl!
(Your treasures are just waiting to be found)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See if you can find a metal detecting club nearby. There are always members who enjoy teaching a newby plus you will meet some really nice folks and make new friends. The ACE 250 is a fine little detector and it is fairly easy to learn the basics on it. For the money spent it is probably the finest little machine that has come along in several years. And don't kid yourself, some fabulous finds have been made with that little ACE. Not only is MDing fun, but it is good exercise. You will need some basic equipment to go along with it. A good digger is a must and one of the best has already been mentioned. You might consider a tool belt of some kind to hold your tools and maybe even your finds. A pair of knee pads will prevent sharp objects from sticking yu or you might just use one of your garden knee pads and if you have been gardening yu probably already have one. I personally like headphones (Radio Shack about $16.00). Be sure they are stereo with an adjustable volume. A handheld pinpointer is handy especially until you learn how to pinpoint more accurately. If you buy from Kellyco, ask for a lot of this equipment free in lieu of thier freebies that is mostly junk. Monty

Capefearsman

Mar 5, 2007
Cape Fear, NC
Detector(s) used
XLT,Double Eagle
I hear that mace deters gangsta worms and if things get that rough zappers do wonders to protect against gangsta worms and pervs. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread