Ticks! Can they survive a washing machine?

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all.
Avoided my favorite woods today, and decided to detect a few fields.
Arriving at field 3, my detecting friend was bout 5ft. away and asked, "when did you get an earring?
Funny I thought, cause I did have one when I was 18/19 years of age, decades ago.
Then he says, "don't move". I never like hearing that. ;) I didn't question, and he walks over and pulls a fresh Ohio tick off my ear. What the...
So, I get home and tell my woman the aforementioned tale. Wrong. Now my favorite detecting gear is not allowed in house and about to be torched by her! Nooooo!!!
2 showers later, she's still looking at me strange which is giving me ghost itches. Just wait till I ask her to check me thoroughly.
Question, will a washing machine kill ticks? I hope so, cause as it stands, I'm sleepin' on the couch.
Thanks
Peace ✌

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello CincinnatiKid,

Washing your clothes will not kill them, but the trip into the dryer on high heat will.

Regards,

Doc

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dont know about the washing machine. But you can take a Hot bath with a cap full of Clorox and ticks and chiggers are taken care of. If the washing machine doesnt; dont Tell my Wife....Lol

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks.
I'm now supercharging the heating element on dryer and about to bathe in Clorox. ;)
Peace ✌

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArDirt is right about the hot bath. I have never used Clorox but have definitely found dead, presumably drown ticks in the tub.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want to see what you look like with your bleached hair...:laughing7:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HOLY COW guy...... Skip the bleach bath. Damn what an overkill. 1, 2, 5 ticks on ya DO NOT warrant a bleach bath! But this advise is probably WAY LATE by now.

Now, with that said a case of seed ticks, or chiggers are WAY different. But you will not "see" them. FYI: If you can SEE THEM then good for YOU. Skip the bath. Girlfriend is paranoid (maybe you). But then again... I don't live with her....! :occasion14:

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now, with that said a case of seed ticks, or chiggers are WAY different. But you will not "see" them. FYI: If you can SEE THEM then good for YOU. Skip the bath. Girlfriend is paranoid (maybe you). But then again... I don't live with her....! :occasion14:
Hence the bleach. I dont know about TN but over here on this side of the Big Muddy anygrass taller 6" has chiggers. I dont hunt just mowed parks and yards

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny story here. I went t Williamsburg, Va for vacation. Met a fella there that belonged to a hunt club in PRIME Colonial Territory. He took me there. I never in my life had seen more seed ticks on me in my life when I left. I have returned many times since then. you need to strip down ,throw ALL your clothes in the Dryer on High Heat for 20 minutes , this will kill the critters. Get in the shower and scrub hard twice with wash rag. dry off and inspect yourself. It sux but the finds are worth it. That's my method, good luck.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A tick you can sometime feel when it crawls on the right spot. But at least you can see them. But.... when you realize you have seed ticks or chiggers YOUR LATE. They don't come one at a time. They friggin invade by the 100's / 1000's. I've had my share of Clorox baths before. What really sucks is when you don't realize you've been invaded. So you scratch, scratch some more.... and then you really get down and dirty scratching. Now your bleeding.... and somebody says "go get a Clorox bath that will take care of it". Hell the cure now is worse than the problem... but it works.

Moral of story... If you think you need a Clorox bath... you do!!!!! You probably did the right thing ArDirtSlinger... I'll concede.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when out in the field spread a good dose of vinegar on exposed skin and the ticks will leave you alone. Spent 40 years in the woods as a consulting forester, and have only had 3 ticks on me, and that was butchering a deer .....good luck! By the way, vinegar is easier on your skin than bleach......Gary

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great, juuuuust great.
Now I gotta worry bout unseen "seed ticks".
I ain't tellin her this. My detector was just allowed to reenter the house. ;)
Thanks all.
Peace ✌

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forget the detector. Your just lucky it isn't you. I just got a tick on me the other day. It was smaller than the dot on my computer for sentences........ That's small. Never seen one that small b-4. Their getting bad here in mass this year. It must have just got on me or it would have been under my skin in hours. It's so small. I wear shorts or white pants tucked in with a spray. Come home,shake clothes outside and shower and change. Well worth it for bottle caps in the woods. Ha Ha They have tick pellets that last in rain for months. I throw them around the outline of my yard. They work well until a chipmunk brings in a tick or to. Ya if you end up with any extra tick pellets. Try filling your pockets with left over pellets and see if it helps you with tick problem while your detecting in the woods. Ha Ha Their every where.

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I 'm in the woods a lot and butcher deer, knock on wood i don't get ticks on me but i do drink a lot of apple cider vinegar. The vinegar raises the ph in your blood maybe thats why the ticks don't bother me.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Save the tick and take it to the hospital, they can send it out for Lymes disease testing. Early detection can save you from years of substantial misery. I have two friends with it and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It's a real simple deal to take a round of antibiotics early on and be done with it if the tick tests positve.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Forget the detector. Your just lucky it isn't you. I just got a tick on me the other day. It was smaller than the dot on my computer for sentences........ That's small.

Sounds like a seed tick to me....?

Gary.... Your vinegar usage is a preventative... right? A bleach bath is the punishment for NOT using vinegar! I wonder if vinegar would get a seed ticks or chiggers attack off you as bleach does? Any idea.... Brad

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soak your clothes in a .5% solution of Permethrin. Let them hang dry. This is the most effective tick preventive, used by the military in North America. It kills them on contact. High dryer heat can kill them, I don't know about the washer. This treatment will last through multiple washes after application.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ticks can survive a washing machine and drier just fine. It does not get hot enough to kill them. Chiggers are your real concern, because pound for pound, they are the most dangerous animal on earth. If they were the size of a dog, they could eat a man alive.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brad, not sure about the chigger's and other pesky little critters you have that we don't, but it does work on the ticks, mosquitos and black flies...and is a lot less damaging as the 100% deet the US Forest service use to issue that melted my watch crystal......Gary

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me also add on further thought that it might work after the fact, stop the itch and clean the bite area...but have never used it that way...I have always treated bite areas with applications of rubbing alcohol, and yellow naptha soap.....Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread