Need help picking a finds/trash apron.

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone suggest a good finds/trash holder (at least 2 pockets) that you can also hang a pinpointer probe and digging tool from. My freebie from Kellyco is ripping along the top of the band, and I have to hook the probe to my back pocket. Almost lost it one day >:(.

I find I like having the two deep pockets so coins don't fall out. But don't want to spend LOTS of my finds to get a new rig.

Thanks in advance.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nail aprons work for a while and most are free. If you wanna get professional, use the belts shooters wear since they usually have more than one pocket. Some are made of leather which will hold sharp digging tools. These run about $14.95 near me.

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whites has a nice bag,2 velcro pockets(keys,camera),2 large pockets

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got this one at Lowes a couple years ago. $10 for the carpenter's pouch and something like $6 for the web belt. They were light brown leather/canvas and I soaked them in a 5 gallon pail with a pack of Rit Lincoln Green dye. Came out pretty nice. I put the trash in the outer pockets, my pinpointer in the middle and the coins in the upper pouches. I carry a nickel in a flip to check my discrimination and a few 6" zip-lock baggies for any good finds. In the image there's a pair of rubberized nitrile gloves in the outer pocket. My Lesche rides in a sheath ahead of the pouch. Since then I have also added a different buckle (WWII British - a good conversation starter).

I'm very happy with this set-up.

When I'm out in the woods I add a bricklayer's hammer (geologists chisel pick hammer) for heavier excavating and fossil hunting.

Attachments

• pouch.jpg
    pouch.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 257
  • buckle.jpg
    buckle.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 250

transplant

Dec 26, 2006
I got one of those from Lowe's also an it work just fine came with a place to hang a hammer in .

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Me and my buddies do alot of detecting way out so our rigs have to hold our equipment and be sturdy.
We went with the $10.00 AWP tool pouches from Lowes. One on each side. They have plenty of pockets for tools and extras. We use military web belt. I have recently fixed up a small shovel for digging large holes.....sometimes the little trowels just won't cut it. I am in the process of making a pouch for it and it will go in the rear of the belt..... or at least that's the plan. Strap on a Camel Back and we are ready for a day in the field. If we need more gear we have small rucks that the Camel Backs attach to.

The AWP tool pouches are deep enough that your stuff won't fall out. It has four pockets for finds, extra batteries, junk and whatever else. Each pouch has two hammer holders...one on each side of the pouch. It also has places for pliers, pruning shears and such. They are cheap sturdy and hold lots of stuff.

Good Luck!

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
I broke down and spent the 99 cents for a Home Depot nail pouch. Works fine for me, it's lightweight and I don't have to worry about getting it muddy. Just throw it in the wash.

Most of the time, I am out there trying to be as efficiant as possible, the faster I can detect, target, dig, and fill, move on swinging again, the more area I can cover in my limited hunting time. That's when I am in the woodchips.

When I doing more traditional hunts at older sites, I definitely slow way down, quality not quantity.

;BDoo

OP
OP
Sheldius

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the replies. I really appreciate all the rigs. For the the very near future, I'm going to replace my freebie bag with a nail pouch. I'll probably be moving to the Lowe's AWP soon. Then I'll have rigs for different types of hunts. Anyone ever replace their web belt buckle with one they found? Just curious, since I'm guessing Charlie's was purchased. :) It's just to shiny.

HH.

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs
Yup, I use a carpenter's pouch and an old web belt I had. I did splurge $3.99 for a tape measure holder that works great for my automax pin-pointer.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone ever replace their web belt buckle with one they found? Just curious, since I'm guessing Charlie's was purchased. It's just to shiny.

'Twern't purchased. It were a gift from a British friend. He's more into usable military equipment than dug items, though. He has entirely too much fun with things like 4 bore flintlock wall guns and bronze cannon, etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread