Garrett vs. Makro

childoftechnology

May 7, 2005
This is a continuation of my previous topic (Metal Detector Recommendation) in which I was getting some help choosing an MD for my Dad's birthday. I had pretty much settled on a Garrett AT Pro, but when comparing prices from various dealers I began doubting my choice. When asking the dealers opinions of the AT Pro, two of them recommended other machines which they claimed to greatly prefer for their own use - the Nokta ForsCore and the Makro Racer. Both claimed that these models were much better for my Dad's primary use - coinshooting in trashy, mineralized soil. But a third dealer told me just the opposite - that the AT Pro ran rings around the Racer! A fourth dealer seconded that opinion, but recommended the CF-77 instead, claiming his customers loved its performance.
So while I might not be back to square one, I'm certainly not all that far from it. The three choices are clear: the AT Pro, Makro Racer, or Makro CF-77. I'm almost leaning towards the CF-77 for its (supposedly) excellent performance, but it's lack of target ID is a downer. However, I realize that audio tones are probably more useful anyway, and it's ease of use would be a big plus for my Dad.
If I had the money, I'd just buy all three and let him keep whichever one he liked best. Needless to say, that isn't feasible.
It's very confusing to pick an MD with so many conflicting opinions to sort out. I'm really hung up on what to get, but I want to order it soon so I'm going to have to make up my mind. Maybe it's time to start flipping coins......

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Pro is very easy to learn and use with the pre-sets and notch discrimination you can't go wrong! Now on the other hand..................???

OldGringo

Jun 19, 2015
Missouri City, Tx.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ford or Chevy? Honda or Harley? Original Recipie or Extra Crispy? Just human nature to be loyal to your brand.. Good luck with the decision. I went with the Garrett. LOL

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reasoning can quickly change before/after actually using various detectors.
Vendors can play major rolls too. If they have stagnant stock, they may try to push it instead of what's best for you.
Subscribing vendors here on TNet are a good bet you'll get what you want/need.
ATPro.
GL
Peace ✌

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are all good performers, and as OldGringo stated, it's a bit like Fords and Chevys. Features are similar between these detectors.

Based on my experience, the Makro Racer will give you a little more depth and better target separation in heavy iron. The AT Pro is the easiest to use of the three.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
C

childoftechnology

May 7, 2005
Finally settled on an AT Pro and ordered it today. The Garrett name was a big factor, plus its ease of use and its well-established reputation. The Racer just seemed like too much of a gamble.... maybe if I have some $ to burn someday, I'll buy one for myself.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Finally settled on an AT Pro and ordered it today. The Garrett name was a big factor, plus its ease of use and its well-established reputation. The Racer just seemed like too much of a gamble.... maybe if I have some $ to burn someday, I'll buy one for myself.
Yes you made the right choice... Now the CF77 i have heard from ones that used it and did not care for it .. Now the Cores and Racer seem from what i read are very good but my hold up on them is the service centers..

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

childoftechnology

May 7, 2005
Yes you made the right choice... Now the CF77 i have heard from ones that used it and did not care for it .. Now the Cores and Racer seem from what i read are very good but my hold up on them is the service centers..

Same here, I didn't want to have to send it back to Turkey if something went wrong.....
Same here, I didn't want to hav

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks for buying an american company employing american workers

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here, I didn't want to have to send it back to Turkey if something went wrong.....
Same here, I didn't want to hav

You don't have to send to turkey. I believe that rumor is being spread as a smear tactic by some of the brand guys. The can be serviced in Florida.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes kellyco does the service on Nokta detectors.. It would be nice to have a Nokta service center in the states like Minelab has.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No need to work about sending anything to Turkey.... Makro products are serviced in Massachusetts. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread