vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Until a member pipes in - I did a quick search on TN - here are just two findings...

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and post what ya find. I get excited over anything dug up or found, Good Luck!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never hunted a salt beach so take my comments with - wait for it - "a grain of salt " I would advise you to go to one of the
sub forums here that is specific to beach hunting - put your question/s up over there . You'll benefit from the experiences of
people who specialize in beach hunting for gold - I have located 8 gold rings (at last count I think ) all from turf hunting in
city parks - the one thing I can tell you is that all of them came in on my White's MXT with a signal near what you would
expect for a nickel to read ( + or minus a bit ) also - the signals were solid when sweeping 90 degrees either direction.
The VDI numbers were consistent each sweep also . I'm told that high carat gold can read higher on these scales - up
into penny / dime areas more like a high conductive signal - though this may be relevant to gold coins (solid) not rings
which are open in the center . I would appreciate it if any of you veterans could set me straight on this point !

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
In addition to the links vpnavy gave you, be aware that even though the 705 has auto-track GB option, (versus the 305 which is manual), that NEITHER of them make particularly good wet-salt beach machines.

the x-terras were made to be a cross-over for coins + nuggets. As a result it's only a so-so compromise in each venue. But the result was that it didn't turn out to work so well on wet salt (especially if mineralized). Yes it would work, but you'd have half the depth of various other beach machines. And with the 305, would constantly be having to re-adjust whenever you move closer or further from the water's edge.

The dry sand will be no problem. But even there, there are machines which will get more depth than you, since the 305 (and 705) were not meant to be power-house deep seekers. Just a compromise so you can go back and forth from prospecting.

Also, if you find some reason to be hunting iron-ridden sites (ruins, ghost-townsy type spots), the 305 is deadly for iron-see through, when used with the HF coils.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread