Looking to getting in to the business of gold prospecting
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree19Likes
  • 1 Post By vpnavy
  • 8 Post By Terry Soloman
  • 2 Post By bigfoot1
  • 1 Post By Argentium
  • 4 Post By FreeBirdTim
  • 2 Post By mlayers
  • 1 Post By Argentium

Thread: Looking to getting in to the business of gold prospecting

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jul 2015
    7 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Cool Looking to getting in to the business of gold prospecting

I am keen to get into gold prospecting to start a new small business. So far I find around 1/4 - 1/2 ounce per day, with a sluice, but wish to increase my findings. So far I have not sold the gold it as I am still new to this business. Do you think gold prospecting a viable small business?

Also, what is the difference with hard rock vs placer mining. I know the difference in basic terms, but in terms of business and strategy to find it. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each, and some good strategies and equipment, etc. How much can one except to find in a placer prospecting vs hard rock?

Charter Member
    us
    Fly Navy!

Jun 2008
    York County, PA (USA) Brevard County, FL (USA)
    13852 times
    Noticed this is your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! While waiting for a member to reply - you might browse Forum > Gold Prospecting Forum > Gold Prospecting...
    CincinnatiKid likes this.
    .:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.

"A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 7th, 1790)
    ..: Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office :..

.:: Rules and Guidelines ::.
    .:: NOTICE - You must be a Charter Member to sell on Treasure Net (Forum: Charter Member Classifieds) - NOTICE ::.

Charter Member
    us
    TerrysKnifeStore.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Teknetics EuroTek PRO -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    22710 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexias2 View Post
    I am keen to get into gold prospecting to start a new small business. So far I find around 1/4 - 1/2 ounce per day, with a sluice, but wish to increase my findings...
    Are you in the Yukon? If you are finding that much gold per day with a sluice then you sure as hell don't need our advice - we need yours!

us
    we exist,and we are watching you

Nov 2011
    so.cal.mtns.
    garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
    3400 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I've done it in my younger days.I have to say that you need not change a thing for now.If you are really getting that much placer gold per day you are already in buisness.Its not always how much gold you are recovering,its how much it costs to recover it and reclaim the land.As you increase your production you will be running more complex equipment which will require more expensive maintenance and employees or partners.
    Also you must consider what regulation changes are in store for you as your operation will need to be presented to blm,u.s.d.a.,or property owner.Your likely going to have to involve dept.of mines and osha,present them with an operations plan and site restoration plan.A bond equal to the cost of reclamation will likely need to be posted...big bucks in cash.

Lode mining always means a much larger investment,forget it without blank check financing.equipment is outrageously expensive,explosives aint cheap.sample drilling alone could be a fortune and you cant even consider lode mining without hundreds of samples or core drilling holes.it never ends.

I would humbly suggest you stay small,under the radar.selling your gold correctly can equate to the same as recovering more.Here is what I did....

I packaged my flour gold in small pennyweight vials,bout .50 cents worth in each.filled em with veggie oil and had the blister packaged on rack cards for retail at local stores.a tourist souvineer.I was getting $2.50 each and had less than a buck into each.the rare course gold was sold to a local jeweler at above spot.

good luck...welcome and let us know how it goes.
    CincinnatiKid and T.C. like this.
    I dont care which machine you use...you're gonna dig trash.
    an extra thousand bucks aint gonna solve that.

us
    Feb 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Whites, MXT.
    4743 times
    At current gold prices @ 1150 OZ. If you are really finding between $250. and $500. a day with a dredge , you certainly don't
    want to change much - maybe tinker with your equipment a little - for example - being able to wash a bit more material in a
    day for a higher yield . I agree with the earlier post , "you don't need our advice - we need yours " that's a huge haul per day
    with a one man operation . What part of the country are you in ?
    Last edited by Argentium; Jul 12, 2015 at 11:31 AM.
    CincinnatiKid likes this.

Jul 2015
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentium View Post
    At current gold prices @ 1150 OZ. If you are really finding between $250. and $500. a day with a dredge , you certainly don't
    want to change much - maybe tinker with your equipment a little - for example - being able to wash a bit more material in a
    day for a higher yield . I agree with the earlier post , "you don't need our advice - we need yours " that's a huge haul per day
    with a one man operation . What part of the country are you in ?
    Well, most average jobs pay that much so its not that big of a deal, an improvement to double that would be nice to see.

I am investing time into finding better equipment that processes more material, and better recovery rates(along with better mining strategies). I find that a sluice can throw out a lot of small gold and odd shaped nuggets, not to mention the feed rate has to be slowish.

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5183 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    To clear $250 a day at a job, you would need to gross around $350 a day. For an 8 hour job, that works out to an hourly wage of $43.75. That's a yearly salary of $91,000. Hardly an "average" paying job, imo.

us
    Oct 2007
    Northern, OH
    DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
    411 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    you're fining 1/2 to 1/4 oz of gold a day. Plus you say that is what most average jobs pay. Man I wish I live where you live at. I make just over $600 a week. Where are you at I come and work your sluice for you for that kind of money.
    FreeBirdTim and JOe L like this.
    CRH 2014 find
    wheaties
    War Nickels
    Buffalo
    Mercs 4
    Rosie 6
    90% Kennedy
    Franklin
    Walkers
    40% halfs
    Detecting Finds
    Dollars
    Quarters `
    Silver Quarters
    Dimes
    Silver Dimes
    Nickels
    Pennies
    Wheaties
    rings

us
    Feb 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Whites, MXT.
    4743 times
    Clearly you are not living in the same world most of us are financially speaking , however If you persevere- I don't
    doubt that you can bring in more gold from a site that is already producing at that level .
    T.C. likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links