T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with that!! I commend you for splittin' hairs with the authorities, but I still think it is considered dredging.:thumbsup:

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You do NOT want toput your highbanker in the creek or discharge into the creek. You should discharge into a secondary containment, something as simple as digging a hole, masonry tub or I use a 55 gal. plastic drum cut down to fit under the discharge end of the sluice. What your after is something to allow the solids to settle out. One other thing I highly recommend is putting your pump motor in a cut down drum or masonry tub, stops any question of a fuel or oil spill, I have also seen deep cooking trays bolted to the bottom.
There are no clear answers to this question, some will say you need a permit, some say no. All I can say is do the above, don't cut down the trees or surrounding vegatation, keep your op clean, pay attention to the discharge plume - as that is what will get you cited, and you will most likely be left alone.

There is a ton of threads on the gold prospecting forums addressing this issue and they usually get pretty heated. As to the permits you can call the different regulating agencies and they never seem to be able to produce a permit. It's all typical "Oh so California!"

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome farnorcal.
I was gonna refer you to the prospecting forum. Wrong
From now on I'll simply refer you to member fowledup. ;)
Well done fowledup.
Peace ✌

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome farnorcal.
I was gonna refer you to the prospecting forum. Wrong
From now on I'll simply refer you to member fowledup. ;)
Well done fowledup.
Peace ✌

Thanks for the compliment, but no please don't do that, lol. In all seriousness the Gold prospecting forum has probably the biggest and best collection of all things gold on the net. Many many knowledgeable experienced "in the know" folks always eager to help.

OP
OP
F

farnorcal

Greenie
Jan 19, 2014
redding, ca
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thanx all!!! i guess i will muddy up the creek using a instream sluice, lol!!!

golddigger65

Feb 2, 2010
Northern Calif
Detector(s) used
Gold bug/Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe the law now states that you must use the highbanker at least 100 yards from the water source, been lots of talk about this very thing on the New 49er's web site.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the law now states that you must use the highbanker at least 100 yards from the water source, been lots of talk about this very thing on the New 49er's web site.

no law that states that.....A dredge definition is the same .....a power sluicing in a stream is legal as long as you are digging in stream...same as a regular sluice...the motor doesn't change it and motors are only restricted in certain areas mainly wilderness.....but, if you have a claim you can still use a motor with rare exception.

The term..."rules" gets thrown around a lot with out lending credence to "RIGHTS"....as a miner on federal land you have numerous " RIGHTS" that make those "rules" not applicable.
Way to many misconceptions are spread by miners....it's unfortunate.
There is a bill in the works that does change certain definitions.....it is being fought and because of the way it muddies definition....and ads layers of rules that step on rights so be prepared for more confusion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread