Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I would start a discussion and see where it would lead. I have someone interested in buying my CS reef buckle, and I think he would pay top dollar. He is involved with a small museum so it would go to a good home. I have only had the buckle since March so I'm pretty sure I'm not ready to sale yet if at all. I know that this is a decision that I would have to make and live with on my own. That is not why I started this thread. I want to hear from people who have faced this and if they have regrets. This is a once in a lifetime find for me and could probably not be replaced. Should be interesting to hear the different opinions so chime in. HH RN:beer:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you don't mind me asking, why are you contemplating selling in the first place?

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't mind me asking, why are you contemplating selling in the first place?

I'm sure I'm not ready to sell. I was approached and it just got me thinking. Thought it would be interesting to hear from others who may have been through this.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1st off I have never been in your position, but I would lean towards selling to a museum, especially if it were noted in the display that you found the relic. This will be a small step towards immortality. One of my beliefs is "You are alive as long as you are remembered". The relic can be enjoyed by the masses instead of the few (you & your friends). You came into this world without possessions and you are sure to leave with the same amount. It's your call, but since you asked, I thought I'd give my opinion.

Almost forgot to mention that I'd sell only if you were getting fair market value.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Top dollar... going to museum...
I would sell with a smile.

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you sell to the Museum... Your name would/could be attached as the finder of his item for all to see. If you get a fair price I would do it.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could always ask top dollar plus a premium...
This way you feel totally confident you got the best for your find.

One thing I have learned in the many years of being an "antique buyer / seller / dealer" is...

Take the money.

Things are just things... material crapola most of it...
I do not get so attached to anything if the price is set to "nominal".

Some things I will not sell... but only until I feel the deal is perfect... like this one.
Everyone wins...
Look man... you still found it...
Your not selling that.
Just the object.
Get a clause in the deal that it would be nice if your initials or name could be associated on any plague / plate with details on display.

PS>... Most of the time... you only get one good shot at a good sale like this...
Later... IF you decline this deal...
You may change your mind... say next year you decide to sell...
And the deal is gone... and no one wants to match that again.

Last edited:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The reason I asked is because it all really boils down to ones financial situation. If it where me I'd sell that bad boy yesterday. Mr. Bill always seems to be knocking on my front door. Everyone is different. If money isn't a problem keep it in your collection, if you value it being displayed in a museum for others to see sell it. Just make sure it isn't going to be put in a box and forgotten in some dusty basement. Good luck whichever path you choose, Mike

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sell it!! Everything has a price. I read on here people saying "I never sell any of my found stuff!" Good for you....when you die someone else will sell it and maybe at the price you wouldn't have wanted!! Also, the seller will probably enjoy the money off of what you would "never sell.":dontknow:

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do decide to sell it to a museum; you can always ask if they ever decided to sell it, give you the first chance of getting it back.

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never enjoyed a museum I couldn't see. I would say, sell it if the price is right. If the money they are offering isn't enough to quell your worries, then don't sell it. But what good will your find be to you after you're dead? Your wares are going to part ways to the world anyway...some to those who will care for them...others to whom are indifferent to them...and may sell them off anyway. Why not leave your name on something that you can get a little for and enrich the public's understanding about the past? I am still trying to find something worthy of either ending up in the paper or in a museum...that I could get a little recognition for. I think of all places to let something go...you can hardly do better than a museum.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sell it!! Everything has a price. I read on here people saying "I never sell any of my found stuff!" Good for you....when you die someone else will sell it and maybe at the price you wouldn't have wanted!! Also, the seller will probably enjoy the money off of what you would "never sell.":dontknow:

Isn't that the truth.

Then Donate it... Before you die and a relative or someone else throws it in the trash.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to an estate sale...
Tons of civil war stuff...
The widow was there...
I talked with her at length...
He detected and purchased a lot of things over the years...
She had hired estate people because she was concerned about the values of his items and such...
I looked in a case...
ring bullets were priced at a dollar to a couple bucks each.
Hard bound Large Civil War books were 1 dollar...
Other antique books were 50 cents...

Old oddities like bayonets were marked at random "top of the head prices" like 50 dollars or best offer...

I stood there and thought... "man this guys whole collection will be offed for peanuts".

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would absolutely not sell it. The money goes fast and as the years go by you still have the bragging rights, the great memories, but it's just not the same if you do not have the buckle. Why buy detectors and the various gear, put God knows how many hours into digging, research, driving, etc. etc. etc.. only to find the best thing you will probably ever dig, and then sell it? The only exception I would make is if myself or family really needed the cash and there was no other good options, then it would go because at the end of the day it's only a chunk of metal. But if life is ok, then I have a whole lot of other things I'd part with before I would let go my best detecting find ever. My best is probably worth in the range of 6-10k, but I would not sell it for 20k.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree IP...
I have many items that are "not for sale" unless I needed the money...

BUT... he has offer from a museum... not just some shmoe...

Some things... just cannot be bought...
Until the price is right... then everything in this world is for sale... Or stupidity starts to kick in.

Sometimes offers only come once.

You can ask what you think its worth... you can try and sell... and nothing.

You can also die today or next week.
People think "it wont happen to me"... heh
That what everyone thinks... which just makes me laugh.

The friggin market could crash next week as well... and these items we think "are worth this and that"
Wont be worth pisss.
Not even the metal they are made from.

Some items like this are sometimes better off being put up for a "retirement fund" so to speak.

But you cannot eat it when you are hungry...
SO...
If scraping by... choose.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is one thing I have realized about "stuff" over the 40 years of it is...

NO ONE but you cares about it like you do.
If you are "no longer in the picture"...
And your family does not realize what you do about these items...

It will be sold off... or put away and forgotten... until some relative offs it later for less than its worth.

To others its just a piece of ?
They will have no sentimental attachment... not like you.

That is your bailiwick.
No one else really gives 2 sheets...

EXCEPT the guy trying to buy it for pennies on the dollar.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree IP...
I have many items that are "not for sale" unless I needed the money...

BUT... he has offer from a museum... not just some shmoe...

Some things... just cannot be bought...
Until the price is right... then everything in this world is for sale... Or stupidity starts to kick in.

Sometimes offers only come once.

You can ask what you think its worth... you can try and sell... and nothing.

You can also die today or next week.
People think "it wont happen to me"... heh
That what everyone thinks... which just makes me laugh.

The friggin market could crash next week as well... and these items we think "are worth this and that"
Wont be worth pisss.
Not even the metal they are made from.

Some items like this are sometimes better off being put up for a "retirement fund" so to speak.

But you cannot eat it when you are hungry...
SO...
If scraping by... choose.

I don't care if God was making the offer for my find, it ain't going anywhere. :) But I do agree, everyone is different, and if it can change your life for the better, would have to be much better, that is definitely something to look at.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look at it this way, if the price is over $500 - that's my lower limit amount - If I dug a hole in the ground, pulled out something that someone would give me $500 for, bye bye to that object. My brain is wired more on the side of common sense. Dig hole, remove object, receive $500+ = good choice.

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's going to a museum, loan it. They do that all the time. It will get displayed and appreciated by the public and will probably even have a little placard next to the display saying it's on loan from "your name". You still own it and it will come back to you on your terms. Just an option...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's going to a museum, loan it. They do that all the time. It will get displayed and appreciated by the public and will probably even have a little placard next to the display saying it's on loan from "your name". You still own it and it will come back to you on your terms. Just an option...

Best suggestion yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread