Pro Pointer failure and corrosion

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
My faithful Pro Pointer started to give me fits and quit working correctly.

I sent it in to Garrett and they advised that the cost of fixing it, was more than buying a new one, told me the inside had corroded, and offered the new one at a very reasonable cost.

I asked the very nice lady what could have caused the corrosion and she didn't know. I've always kept the gasket clean and properly sealed. I've only gently rinsed it off occasionally, never immersing the entire unit. (I have a dedicated underwater pin-pointer for the beach)

This unit had seen normal field use, albeit most of its life in very humid Florida.

I declined the offer for another pro-pointer as there was no assurance another one wouldn't suffer the same malady.

(I have a spare Pro Pointer and pressed it into service)

I ordered the AT Carrot figuring this one would be sealed better than my Pro Pointer.

Upon having the unit returned I opened it up and discovered that the source of corrosion was coming from around the LED lamp. The weak spot was a bad seal between the LED and the plastic housing.

I've never immersed the unit, just washed it off as the directions said I could.

So, here are the photos.

I'm going to be very careful with rinsing off my Pro Pointer and I might try to seal the LED a little better. The light really has never served me anyhow, other than to see that it was ON.

Screen Shot 2015-07-17 at 12.13.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-07-17 at 12.13.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-07-17 at 12.14.01 PM.png

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I fly radio controlled aircraft and mostly over water with seaplanes and float planes. The electronics don't like splashing or immersion. To keep them happy I, and a lot of other pilots, use a product called CorrosionX. You can dip electronics in it. I also like it for boat trailer wiring - keeps the terminals and sockets clean.

Might be well worth investing in a bottle of it.

CorrosionX 6 oz. aerosol

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always seal ProPointers with clear sealant! I prefer RV sealant.
Yes, it will void warranty, but most importantly after sealing it will be fully submersible.
Many vids are readily available on YouTube.
The new carrots will eventually fail too?
No biggie, as they're still $127. Go Garrett!
Peace ✌

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This makes me want to open up my pin pointer and have a look!
I had a battery go bad in my diamond tester I had to clean out the battery connector and replace parts, it works.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shoe goo! I cover my button and light in shoe goo and have submersed it for about.. 4 years now. And I mean under water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread