stevew

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had luck digging through pea to large gravel. Coins don't seem to move far down in them, so just sweep away the top few inches and recheck to determine if the signal has moved. Parking gravel, in general, is pretty good for modern coins. If it's not an old area, you may want to discrimate out iron trash.

Trying to dig deeper to find things under thick gravel, now that would be a pain. Gravel will fall back into hole like sand, and the dirt tends to make the gravel look messy afterward. Good luck.

HH.

OP
OP
S

stevew

WOW! This was fast Sheklivs! :o
Thank you for the quick responce. This will be my 1st time out and I'm looking forward to it.
I would like to find someone in the Acworth, Kennesaw GA area to go out with sometime.
Thanks again for your help!
Steve

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd use a old garden trowel. Or something you don't mind getting dinged up. That gravel can scratch up metal fast. Polishes it quick too. ;)

OP
OP
S

stevew

Right now I really don’t care if the coins or my equipment gets scratched up, I just want to find something. I’m very new to the hobby and I have only played around in my back yard looking for coins that I had buried. This will be my 1st time out “on the hunt”!

Kilika

Apr 6, 2007
NW Washington (State)
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, GMT
stevew-

Welcome to T'net and MD'ing!

If you're hunting in true 'pea gravel' (with rounded edges, stays loose), it should be pretty easy going. If it's just 'gravel' (sharp edges, packs down), it could be pretty frustrating. Slow going when it's packed down. For your first hunt, why not try a beach? Or tot lot? Sand or wood chips are sooo much easier to dig. Like to see you have some success 1st time out!!

Good Luck & Keep us posted! Oh, yeah.. and pic's of whatever you find ;)

Kilika

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used one of those little 4 prong garden dirt scratching things whatever they are called for pea gravel in parking lots. The coins are usually just below the surface and easy to raKe up[ with one of them. You will find mostly clad because people drop it when they scoot across the seat to get out of their cars. Nothing wrong with clad, it spends just like "real" money! Monty

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
One park I hit about once a month has a picnic area bordered by railroad ties and is filled with pea gravel. Holds 9 tables and 3 grilles. I always make a point to buzz through it. Always find clad but more important, I often find jewelry. I use my beach sifter for quick recovery. A bit noisy when you shake the gravel out but I am usually there early before the munchkins arrive.

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
Since my driveway is peagravel I figured I would put my 2 cents in. I bought a rolling magnet sweaper on ebay and used it to pick up the surface trash from my driveway, cleared a pound of junk, made detecting it way easier. Best $50 I think I have ever spent.

OP
OP
S

stevew

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I got to spend about 3 hours in the lot today after church. I ended up with 4 quarters, 4 dimes, six pennies and a bunch of pop tops. I'm sure most of you guys would have come up with a lot more, but I sure had a great time! I cant believe how fast the time goes when you hunting, and how fast your heart beats when you find something. I hope that never changes for me! ;D

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
stevew said:
Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I got to spend about 3 hours in the lot today after church. I ended up with 4 quarters, 4 dimes, six pennies and a bunch of pop tops. I'm sure most of you guys would have come up with a lot more, but I sure had a great time! I cant believe how fast the time goes when you hunting, and how fast your heart beats when you find something. I hope that never changes for me! ;D

Good job! :) :) :) :)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it ever changes...Your finds just get better ;D As for the Pea Gravel most of your older coins if any are in there will come out real scratched. Most coins in Gravel are badly Scratched.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread