Questions on Towed Magnatometers

GreginAlaska

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2015
Homer Alaska
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Greetings all. I just found this board and joined up. I've searched the board a bit and can't seem to find forums or threads that have answers to my particular questions. My interests are looking for wrecks with towed magnetometers. I have lots of questions about how to get started and would appreciate any help or suggestions you may have. I live in Alaska, so all the wrecks are historically fairly recent; within the last 150 years. The good news is that most of the wrecks in Alaska should have significant amounts of iron, so shouldn't a towed magnetometer work well? Some questions I have are;
1 - What would be a good magnetometer to work in water depths of up to 250'. I am looking for significant amounts of iron, like engine blocks and anchors, so wouldn't that be a pretty good target?
2 - Do they come with software that combines GPS and magnetometer readings to make a chart, or is that commercially available?
3 - I will be using an aluminum tow boat. Does this have an adverse effect on magnetometer detection?
4 - Does anybody use ROV's to inspect wrecks prior to sending divers down. I don't know much about the technology, but that looks like a good way to prospect a wreck quickly if a magnetometer finds something. Better than diving and finding an old washing machine or something.
5 - Can someone give me a link to ROV websites?
I welcome all feedback, thanks again for your help.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome.
Try the "Shipwrecks" forum. Or the "States" forum.
Someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in.
Peace ✌

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions