Should I upgrade with a new detector?

charliezapper

Tenderfoot
Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks--I just signed on to this site and it looks like a very good one.
I have a Minelab Musketeer Advantage that I got 12 yrs. ago. It has an 8" coil.The machine still works very well. Nearly 100% of the time it's used for walking on beaches.I set the sensitivity up and discriminate low and head off with my sifter.I was thinking of getting another detector around $500 or so but will I be disappointed.Will it blow the MMA away or should I stick with what I have?--charliezapper

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks--I just signed on to this site and it looks like a very good one.
I have a Minelab Musketeer Advantage that I got 12 yrs. ago. It has an 8" coil.The machine still works very well. Nearly 100% of the time it's used for walking on beaches.I set the sensitivity up and discriminate low and head off with my sifter.I was thinking of getting another detector around $500 or so but will I be disappointed.Will it blow the MMA away or should I stick with what I have?--charliezapper

Hello Charlie and welcome...

The Musketeer was/is a really good detector. Upgrading depends on what you want to do with new detector, you can't hunt in the water with Musky so if your wanting to go in the water then you need to upgrade. I assume your ground balancing each time you switch between wet and dry sand if your hunting salt water, you don't say where your at so may not matter....

The Musketeer got real good depth so don't think your going to find one that blows it away for depth on dry land. In the salt water or wet sand there are several better, but none in the price range you quoted..

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have one of those and will say a newer detector, depending on make and model, will have better trash separation and allow you to dig less junk . . . maybe. I'm not a beach hunter so I cant really say how the Advantage does there. It does have a great vocabulary and with good headphones will give a lot of info. What you don't want is a detector with a "target alarm" that just beeps or rings when it hits a target.

I have the Fisher F-75 and it was a great next detector coming off the Advantage. With the target display it's like getting 100% more data. I still don't trust the icons, and I no longer notch because I want to be able to make my own decisions. But I still have the Advantage and it doesn't give up anything for depth. It is a very, very good coin and relic machine. Where it fails is in trashy areas (parks and fairgrounds) where there are a lot of foil, can-slaw, aluminum screw-caps, and pulltabs. Seeing that display hop around helps avoid the junk. You can go 12 or 15 coins without a junk dig. I did that for a while when I first got the F-75 but then worried I hadn't found any rings or jewelry . . . so now I occasionally dig the targets that are iffy.

The ability to notch out one specific kind of trash in certain sites is a Godsend. And the separation speed of new generation detectors is WAY better when shooting targets under iron trash.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As you would be more familiar with the ergonomics/controls I would suggest a used Minelab Sovereign. Would be right in your price range. Many of us consider it the best salt water beach machine ever made. Good luck, Mike

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome.
12yrs old. Time to graduate to middle school and a new detector. Lotta new machines out there for $500 n under these days. Look around... Don't be afraid of used machines from reputable dealers. Great way to stretch loot.
Keep us posted on your choice.
GL
Peace ✌

OP
OP
C

charliezapper

Tenderfoot
Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Charlie and welcome...

The Musketeer was/is a really good detector. Upgrading depends on what you want to do with new detector, you can't hunt in the water with Musky so if your wanting to go in the water then you need to upgrade. I assume your ground balancing each time you switch between wet and dry sand if your hunting salt water, you don't say where your at so may not matter....

The Musketeer got real good depth so don't think your going to find one that blows it away for depth on dry land. In the salt water or wet sand there are several better, but none in the price range you quoted..

Most of the beaches that I go to are really clean in the Boston area and also Florida beaches and sometimes with the most sensitive settings I can go for a bit without getting a hit.It's like fishing-I get a "bite" and I sift it out. Maybe I'll keep my trusty Minelab since I may not get that much more considering how I prospect.--charliezapper

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have any detector info, but WELCOME TO T NET!

OP
OP
C

charliezapper

Tenderfoot
Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I learned so far is that the Minelab Musketeer Advantage is an excellent beep and dig machine. I walk the sandy beachs with mine with the sensitivity pretty much up and the discrimination at low. I love the solid beeps and I even check out the chirps with my sifter.The MMA has done well and has paid for itself many times over. I'm hesitant to fork out $500 or more and find out that my MMA (beep and dig) is just as good for the way that I hunt.---charliezapper

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread