CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carbon dating is the primary method of dating relics/objects.
Measuring carbon, or lack of, can establish a reasonable timeline/date of life, publication or manufacture. Radiocarbon accelerators provide a +/-95% accuracy.
If true, the +/-95% ain't no big deal when dating something a few hundred years old, but when dating objects millennia old, seems the percentages would graduate significantly?

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe your right CK. From what I "understand" carbon dating dates an item by the established rate of deteriorating carbon within of an item. So with that said the older an item is the closer this type of dating would come into play. But I'm not 100% sure of this statement. I'd think items just a few hundred years old would be more difficult to accurately date using this method.....?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It will work with organic material (bones, wood, sinew, etc.) up to 60,000 years old +/-; but is poor with anything from or submerged in seawater. Does not work with rocks, minerals, ore, metals, etc. Supposedly it can be used in tracing the C-14 in air bubbles in ice and cement, however.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks.
Just seems as though in this age, there would be more precise measuring procedures.
Are there?
Peace ✌

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest: