Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's hope they can be caught somehow.

I knew a guy that was scammed on Ebay, he showed me the listing for a Bobcat skid steer loader, about one third of it's value, with free shipping from the Netherlands. That's right, free shipping from the Netherlands to Ohio.

I told him it was BS, he got upset with me, had his foolish little heart set on it, and sent $5,000 to the scammers.

He found out later it was a fake Ebay page, that somehow popped while he was on the site.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Late last summer I put an ad out on Craigslist Nashville for some toy boxes I had built (10). Sold them all in a couple of days. Was thinking this was pretty easy and quick so I made 15 more at once. Posted the ad again and bam I get an email from a "guy in Atlanta GA." He wants all the boxes and asks me to call him if I'm interested. Hell I don't care if he buys 1 or all of them. So I call the number and a guy answers. Yep, he really likes them and wants all of them. Sure.... just come and get them. He gets directions and says he'll be here tomorrow morning from Atlanta. I told him cash only and he says all he has is a cashiers check and "it's good". I said no way just cash. So he says.... lets load them up tomorrow morning and we'll drive into bank together and cash it. I told him GO CASH IT YOURSELF AND JUST BRING THE $1,500. That ended the deal...

I went into the bank and sat down with a rep. She told me that fake cashier checks are used all the time. Many are cashed but the bank always comes after the person who cashed it... YOU! I went home and looked up the phone number. It was an area phone. He tried again 2 days later with the same outcome.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get a laugh out of the ones that can't hardly communicate decent English....and they always want to meet up with you AFTER work to purchase your item. I instantly flag 'em!!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tell her you already have an Amazon account and you just need her vendor ID.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The world has no shortage of people who just do not hesitate to cheat and steal. I'm sure in their twisted minds it is the victim's own fault for whatever reason they come up with to justify their dishonesty.

Wouldn't you just love to have 15 minutes and a baseball bat with which to recalibrate their moral compass?

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of a person who posted a 100K motor home on ebay got a few inquiries one want to buy it needed info for his credit union to finance. They took info ie pinkslip copy posted on craigslist as their own at 10k story was they were in Bulgari taking care of their mom who just had a stroke and needed money fast. it seem about 10 people wired 10K to western union woops greedy *******s got took bad . Never ever ever send money western union.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, always be very careful.
I though, have bought and sold locally on CL. ALWAYS in person. Even had a now detecting friend to my house for a detector purchase. I can usually discern the idiots with one call.
But overall, I ain't sendin' my loot nowhere. You gotta meet me to deal.
GL
Peace ✌

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you buy or sell on Craigslist you really need to be informed of all the scam tactics out there. It's easy enough to spot a foreigner based on the language they use, but soon, it will be almost impossible. Cash on the spot in a highly visible area is the best way. I have a '78 Sportster sitting in my garage that I've wanted to sell for years, but Craigslist is so sketchy, I almost think I have to prepare myself for the scammer deluge before I list it.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wouldn't you just love to have 15 minutes and a baseball bat with which to recalibrate their moral compass?

Hey Charlie... I'll like to give someone the last 13 minutes if I get to be alone for the first 2. My moral compass is spot on... I'll take nothing from anyone. I'll give it too you first. Many folks on a the "other side" of this reasoning will now be confused... Yea, I'll beat ya within an inch of your life and then pour my heart and soul out helping you... go figure!

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
yea an a lot of cities now have safe meet ups, cop station post office state highway patrol
mention one of those meet places, if they are legit they are good with, if trying to mug your
$ or goods not so much

Yup, always be very careful.
I though, have bought and sold locally on CL. ALWAYS in person. Even had a now detecting friend to my house for a detector purchase. I can usually discern the idiots with one call.
But overall, I ain't sendin' my loot nowhere. You gotta meet me to deal.
GL
Peace ✌

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's an interesting site I like to check out once in a while (hope it's ok to post a link). These people pick apart scammers like no one's business. They don't get involved with craigslist scams, but they bait scammers that go after people's life savings. Remember, if it's too god to be true....it probably isn't true. These scammers appeal in part to people's greed.

https://forum.419eater.com/forum/

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As good as the bike looks in the pictures, I'd be extremely dubious unless I could be dealing face to face with the Owner/seller. Like so often happens, just too good to be true.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread