Bad luck, big surprise with total let down!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I have had a run of bad luck for about two weeks but thought that maybe things were going to change but that didn't happen. First, my' Washing Machine locked up and although I thought that maybe the drum stop/lock had hung up and I could get it unstuck as I have done with other washing machines in the past, it was a no go as the stop/lock on this Kenmore model is internal, so I am not sure whether the stop/lock is stuck or the motor seized up. Second, my' Refrigerator started getting warmer every day since this last Saturday and I fear that it will totally fail in the next day or two. We have been compensating by buying ice and packing it into the freezer section and moved the non-freezable items to it as well. Being retired, I don't get paid until the first of the month, so I can't go out and purchase a new refrigerator or even a used backup until then. However, yesterday on an ice and gas run, I spied a big Wedding Band in the middle of a access road between Walmart, Lowe's and a mini-mall here. I quickly stopped the truck, jumped out and got it, then went home thinking that maybe there was a light at the end of the tunnel seeing that it appeared to be White Gold with two strips of Rose Gold running around the circumference of the ring. Well, I got home and pulled the Wedding Band out of my' pocket and looked on the inside of the band with my' Gem Loupe. Well, guess what? It has Stainless Steel and made in China laser marked on the inside and was just one more thing to go wrong for me this past two weeks.

Frank

Last edited:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea well, be thankful.
What you've mentioned are conveniences and can be replaced. Which you will find a way to replace with your internal drive.
Also, fake or not, the ring �� counts.
Hang in there. All will be righted.
Peace ✌

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rootin fer ya hunt !!all things come in waves so good times they are a comin bro..:occasion14:

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
rootin fer ya hunt !!all things come in waves so good times they are a comin bro..:occasion14:

bigfoot... Root a little harder because the battery went out on my' 1999 Ford Ranger while I was at Lowe's looking at refrigerators, ugh!

Frank

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
bigfoot... Root a little harder because the battery went out on my' 1999 Ford Ranger while I was at Lowe's looking at refrigerators, ugh!

Frank

Surely not the original battery was it? Had one last for 10 yrs and then one day it just dead for no reason.

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Surely not the original battery was it? Had one last for 10 yrs and then one day it just dead for no reason.

Nope, this is about the 8th one! I made the mistake of buying a battery around the 3rd replacement at Walmart and I am lucky if I get more than 14 months out of them. Of course, 8 batteries aren't really too bad since the truck has nearly 289,000 miles on it, has had no major repairs and runs like a new one. Now, if I could just keep my daughter from wrecking it and taking out the grill, bumper and one or both fenders, it might look good again! LOL!!

Frank

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damn Frank.... Sounds like your on a bad roll buddy. Maybe I'll go out today and dig up another lucky horseshoe and send ya! Wish I was closer to help ya buddy.

Don't feel alone of the vehicle breakdown thing... My son Ben calls from Columbia 6 days ago. Says his right read caliper is froze on the rotor. So I drive in with some tools. Yep... it froze alright. It was 96 here at noon. So I had to change out this caliper in the middle of a Walgreens parking lot on about 130 degree asphalt. And I mean it was HOTTTTTTTT! Then the next night he comes home and says his cars really running rough. So when it's dark outside I pop the hood and tell him to start it up. Looked like someone had a Christmas tree stuffed down by the coil.... Changed that out the next day. It seems there's no end to it here either Frank.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wishing you the best...

Davers

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck!!! Maybe ya need to just buy a lotto ticket!!! All the good luck has to be waiting someplace!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sometimes you find, you're on a roll one way. Other times the other way.
Hang in there. The wind's gotta change eventually.
I go through lots of batteries but not like you are doing in one unit.
I buy 36 mo. or higher rated usually and have returned a couple under prorated exchange and others so soon they were exchanged straight up..
My battery store takes decent care of me from buying so many though.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im staying the hell away from you lol.

I have a roof over my head, I have my family, and I have food. I consider myself luckier than others. Screw the rest.

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Well folks, I saw a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel today! It was not the battery as I had suspected but was actually the alternator. After charging the battery this morning and heading to Autozone, I pretty much figured out that it was the alternator because the battery gauge showed constant dropping voltage. After pulling the alternator and battery to have them checked, the manager who was helping me, told me that my' alternator was covered by the lifetime and warranty, so the new replacement is free. I said Whoopi and almost did the happy dance right there, LOL!! Since the serpentine belt was pretty badly dry cracked, the cost of a new one was all that I had to pay. Now, if can just get a decent refrigerator soon, everything will be alright as long as no more breakdowns/failures occur.

Frank

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to my world, and I'm sorry.
Well things usually happen in threes, you nailed that so it looks like things are turning around for ya now.
Isn't it great when you just can't seem dodge the things life throws at ya? Not much fun but it is interesting!

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about the troubles. If I lived closer to you I would give you a good refrigerator. I clean out houses and come across good ones all the time. I clean them up and give them away. I have some downstairs now waiting for a home. Good Luck and God Bless.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I went on craigs list and found people giving refrigerators away because they upgraded. Not sure how it is in your area but you can check.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you sell half of your detectors you can probably buy new appliances for your whole house!!

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Well folks, I bit the dust today and purchased a new refrigerator on my' Lowe's card! I didn't want to have to go further in debt but with food on the verge of spoiling and with a total of 8 people in my' household, it was a pretty much a have to case. Although my daughters can't seem to do it, I am a thrifty shopper and I checked out reviews, sizes and other specifications, best layout and available space, best options, best components (compressor and dual condensers) and compared prices of markdowns, closeouts, scratch-n-dents and special sales and opted with the best refrigerator to meet our needs. I went with the Samsung 25.5 cubic feet French Door Refrigerator (Model Number: RF260BEAESR) with the Freezer on the bottom at an exceptional lower price from $1,999.00 to $1,598.00 and I opted for the 5 year full warranty which covers everything and allows me to get 30% off for any components that I may need in the future such as new filters. If the refrigerator breaks down and it takes more than a few days for the part to come in, they will actually bring a new refrigerator out for us to use until mine' is repaired. Although I don't have a VA Identification Card for Veterans yet, I showed all of my' documentation including my' DD-214 and the manager approved me getting another 10% off the price plus 6 months same as cash with no interest. Whoooo hooooh! They are delivering it tomorrow and I can't wait to see the look on my daughter's faces when they see it!

I want to thank everyone for the kinds words and support! It means a lot whether you all realize it or not! May you all be blessed with lots of good luck, no bad luck, good health and safety!

Frank

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After I talked to you yesterday you sounded a little more at ease... I would also.

When we needed a new frig, stove and hood we walked around and around looking, arguing and got nothing done. We went home. I told her to go pick out WHATEVER she wanted and I'll go get it the next day with the truck. Well she did. When I got to Lowe's I liked to die from a sudden heart attack. WE ARE NOT RICH OR CLOSE TO IT. She had picked out and paid for a HUGE stainless steel frig with matching stove and hood. I loaded them up, brought home and got to work. I had to completely tear out a corner pantry and rebuild to make room for the new frig. Hell it took me a couple weeks to even feel "worthy enough" to touch it. I actually caught Frank touching it when he was here.... but I didn't say anything!!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went on craigs list and found people giving refrigerators away because they upgraded. Not sure how it is in your area but you can check.

We wanted another deep freeze but the thought of putting out hundreds for a new one was a debate. So I looked on Kijiji listings and picked out a few ads and called them up, the one that won was closer to us for driving and being close to 90F outside we opted to go look at this 6 yrs old model for $50. She was at a religious meeting till noon and I decided to wait till the afternoon and called them up again to view the unit. The drive went from 15mi to a 25mi drive (red flag) ended up in a marina resort and the unit was at another location,(red flag) more driving. Well the unit was only 31 yrs old and I declined to buy it even when they offered it up at half of the price. It was mouldy, rusty, and looking like Noah had owed the unit. So the dude says "well this was a waste of my time" I guess our time, gas, and the fact that they lied about the unit didn't count. :) We ended up buying used the next day from another person and the unit was only 3 yrs old, saved lots but still a risk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread