Cache Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
And why hasn't anyone asked the OP how he's "97% sure" he knows where the gold is? ....

Having "been there / done that", in particular said country, I can answer this for you:

"Because he heard someone tell him that" And how does the person who told him that know ? "Because someone else told them". How does that person know? " Because someone else told them". And so on and so forth, it regresses back into eternity. And at NO time is it anything less than iron-clad true.

PS.: Just to be clear, human nature, no matter your/our origin, has tendencies this way. Why do you think all the 1960s and '70s treasure mag's sold so many copies, and were so fun to read ? They were each PACKED FULL of such "lost mine" and "stagecoach robbery" type fanciful legends. Heck, throw in a faded newspaper clipping, add a drawing of a miner posed next to his burro, and presto, it must be true :) A buddy of mine even submitted one of those back in the 1970s, to get the $50 or whatever submittall pay to accepted articles. His was entirely made up (starting with something he could find from a history book, to give it some sort of framework). Then add enough "it has been said's", etc.... and it made for a fun read.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... i no ppl that have seen gas fire come out of the ground. ...

Ah yes, I remember that one well. When I'd ask folks on my trip to said-country "how do you know?" or "what makes you think a treasure is somewhere here ?" (cave, ruin, floors, walls, yards, etc...), they would say "because someone saw smoke (or vapor, or lights, etc...) coming out of the ground. Other times it was because someone had a vision or dream. Or saw sparkles coming from the ground, etc...... Been there, done that.

Eventually, on our trip, I got to where I would outright reject any such reasons, and would not hike out to said places. And would tell them politely, "superstition". But no amount of attempt to explain this worked :( They dug in their heels all more more, and simply became all the more convinced.

Like one time I hiked out to a small cave (alcove in a cliff is better description) where a man was convinced treasure was. After awhile, I finally asked "what makes you think so?". His answer was "sparkles" or something like that. There was absolutely nothing there. Totally sterile. Even in all metal maxed out. I even pulled out my headphone jack and let him listen, then compared that to the sound of the detector going over metal (my dig shovel, etc...) to show him it worked. Thinking "this will show him that there is nothing buried there". Ah but to no avail. He became convinced that the treasure, therefore, must be several feet deeper than the machine's ability to reach, hence needing a machine that goes several meters deep.

So you see, at NO TIME is it ever that a treasure isn't there. It's always just "deeper". And a few even told me that spirits move the treasures in the night, so that people can't find them (I'm not making this stuff up). So you can see why, after a week into it, I began to get very skeptical. But so too am I skeptical of treasure lore "dime store book type" treasure stuff here too.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... getting a Descovery treasure findre 99 two box can u give me any imfo on it?

No I do not know about that 2-box detector. The only one I ever used was the TM 808. But they're pretty much all the same , IMHO. In fact, ironically, with those machines " more sensitivity" is not necessarily better ! You DON'T want it to be sensitive enough to pick up targets as small as dominos, coins, etc....

The TM 808 can actually pick up a target as small as a domino or silver dollar, if you're holding it close to the ground, and have it very fine tuned dialed-in. And in the instances I was using it, I actually got annoyed with this (since the objects we were looking for was a jar/box sized item). So I actually held it higher, and/or ignored faint beeps.

So unlike standard detectors, where we all fight for more sensitivity, a 2-box machine is a bit different mind-set.

BTW, so too can many standard detectors get a jar or box sized item JUST AS DEEP or deeper than 2-box machines. But the devil is in the details: You will be forever bogged down sorting out small versus large (even when trying to mentally pass all small signals). So if you're looking for big game stuff, a 2-box is the way to go.

BTW #2, don't be convinced that treasures are, of necessity, always 2 to 3 meters deep. I don't know where this "of necessity" thing rationale started (and the bigger the treasure, the deeper it must be, eh ?). Because when someone back then went to bury something, why oh why oh why would they need to bury it "2 to 3 meters deep" ? As long as the top is covered back up, then it makes no difference if 1 ft. deep, or 6 ft. deep, does it ? It's equally hidden either way, right ?

BTW #3: All this talk about corruption, crime, safety, etc... down there is a bit over-blown. We never had any trouble down there (granted, I had a guide /interpretor), and met some of the nicest people in the world! Drank the water without any problem, the food was the freshest, etc....

OP
OP
G

GOLD 72

Jul 24, 2015
CD Obregon Sonora Mex.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Colorado Gold Sticks Discovery Treasure Finder 900
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ah yes, I remember that one well. When I'd ask folks on my trip to said-country "how do you know?" or "what makes you think a treasure is somewhere here ?" (cave, ruin, floors, walls, yards, etc...), they would say "because someone saw smoke (or vapor, or lights, etc...) coming out of the ground. Other times it was because someone had a vision or dream. Or saw sparkles coming from the ground, etc...... Been there, done that.

Eventually, on our trip, I got to where I would outright reject any such reasons, and would not hike out to said places. And would tell them politely, "superstition". But no amount of attempt to explain this worked :( They dug in their heels all more more, and simply became all the more convinced.

Like one time I hiked out to a small cave (alcove in a cliff is better description) where a man was convinced treasure was. After awhile, I finally asked "what makes you think so?". His answer was "sparkles" or something like that. There was absolutely nothing there. Totally sterile. Even in all metal maxed out. I even pulled out my headphone jack and let him listen, then compared that to the sound of the detector going over metal (my dig shovel, etc...) to show him it worked. Thinking "this will show him that there is nothing buried there". Ah but to no avail. He became convinced that the treasure, therefore, must be several feet deeper than the machine's ability to reach, hence needing a machine that goes several meters deep.

So you see, at NO TIME is it ever that a treasure isn't there. It's always just "deeper". And a few even told me that spirits move the treasures in the night, so that people can't find them (I'm not making this stuff up). So you can see why, after a week into it, I began to get very skeptical. But so too am I skeptical of treasure lore "dime store book type" treasure stuff here too.

i understand ur point how can i not ur hitting a lot of the same things iv heard and dealt with honistly all i can do is give it my best shot .and hope pray that it is there and i do find it ...if i do i will deffintly post pics

OP
OP
G

GOLD 72

Jul 24, 2015
CD Obregon Sonora Mex.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Colorado Gold Sticks Discovery Treasure Finder 900
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
No I do not know about that 2-box detector. The only one I ever used was the TM 808. But they're pretty much all the same , IMHO. In fact, ironically, with those machines " more sensitivity" is not necessarily better ! You DON'T want it to be sensitive enough to pick up targets as small as dominos, coins, etc....

The TM 808 can actually pick up a target as small as a domino or silver dollar, if you're holding it close to the ground, and have it very fine tuned dialed-in. And in the instances I was using it, I actually got annoyed with this (since the objects we were looking for was a jar/box sized item). So I actually held it higher, and/or ignored faint beeps.

So unlike standard detectors, where we all fight for more sensitivity, a 2-box machine is a bit different mind-set.

BTW, so too can many standard detectors get a jar or box sized item JUST AS DEEP or deeper than 2-box machines. But the devil is in the details: You will be forever bogged down sorting out small versus large (even when trying to mentally pass all small signals). So if you're looking for big game stuff, a 2-box is the way to go.

BTW #2, don't be convinced that treasures are, of necessity, always 2 to 3 meters deep. I don't know where this "of necessity" thing rationale started (and the bigger the treasure, the deeper it must be, eh ?). Because when someone back then went to bury something, why oh why oh why would they need to bury it "2 to 3 meters deep" ? As long as the top is covered back up, then it makes no difference if 1 ft. deep, or 6 ft. deep, does it ? It's equally hidden either way, right ?

BTW #3: All this talk about corruption, crime, safety, etc... down there is a bit over-blown. We never had any trouble down there (granted, I had a guide /interpretor), and met some of the nicest people in the world! Drank the water without any problem, the food was the freshest, etc....

thank u every littel bit helps and ur right about the 2 and 3 meters thats a big hole 2 meters and not even nesasary i agree i am gooing more of the verson that if there is a lot of trash it;s harder 2 pass threw the trash 2 it;s required depth so a detector that has more depth has better chance if gooing farther past the trash

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread