Big Brother

excav

Jul 16, 2011
northwest coast of ohio
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sorry, guess I worded the original question wrong. I'm wondering if there are any cases of someone posting a big find, as in cashe, and getting a call from the tax man. Not individual coins or other valuable items, just actual big money (cash) finds.

Is there really any cases of you know who showing up for his cut after a big find was posted on this site, or is it all paranoia?

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the big and valuable finds arent posted.individual finds and small caches sometimes are but are always"found on private property".so no I have never heard of big bro coming after one of us.

If you post a large valuable find and give enough info on where it was found on public land...expect a knock at the door.You dont have to be mel fisher to draw attention.I am aware of a couple interesting finds but they arent spoken of for this reason by the person who unearthed them.most seasoned hunters would agree...keep the lid on.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
bigfoot, I think the OP was asking about tax consequences. Not ownership issues.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't think you could be taxed on something dug out of the ground?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Karl von Mueller (Charlie Miller) gave good advice when he said "keep your finds quiet".

I love the "What Is It" forum. And I love to see or show the handfull of coins and occasional silver highlights. But when I . . . er, if I ever find something of value it won't make the little screen.

I will tell you I didn't find the boat, but was able to order it new in 1999. But I won't tell you why I was able to. :thumbsup:

Delirious_zps98aa35d4-1-1.jpg

Attachments

• img014.jpg
    img014.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 87

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Karl von Mueller (Charlie Miller) gave good advice when he said "keep your finds quiet".

I love the "What Is It" forum. And I love to see or show the handfull of coins and occasional silver highlights. But when I . . . er, if I ever find something of value it won't make the little screen.

I will tell you I didn't find the boat, but was able to order it new in 1999. But I won't tell you why I was able to. :thumbsup:

You found my lost winning lottery ticket when I was fishing up on Lake Ontario?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't think you could be taxed on something dug out of the ground?

You can't be. Until you sell it - then it's income. And you are obligated to report income. The IRS has a 10 year statute of limitations (less for some items) but if fraud is involved it is unlimited. Now, whether failing to report income is considered fraud I am not sure.

Another good question: if you spent 5¢ in 1956 and put three cards away somewhere after chewing the gum, and then open an old book and find a mint Micky Mantle card under the cover, do you have to report the profit when you sell it as capital gains?

PS - who knew perch would eat lost lottery tickets?

Last edited:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whichever, tax consequences and ownership issues, become irrelevant if one stays quiet.
Shhh, big bro IS looking AND listening. ;)
Peace ✌

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Here's my opinion on this particular find for what it's worth. My theory would apply to any coins found but I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on tv. What gives the government the right to place a value on the coins ? Based on what ? Wholesale prices ? Retail ? Does someone at the IRS go to Ebay "ended auctions" and look to see what similar coins sold for ? What a joke. Technically a $20 gold coin since it is US currency, is only worth face value until you try to sell it. Don't believe me ? Take it to a bank and see what they will give you. It's my opinion that if the couple in CA had a good lawyer and told the IRS they had no plans for selling the coins that they should only be taxed on the face value of the coins. At some point in the future if they sell them they would then be responsible for paying taxes on the profit. Any actual lawyers here who have an opinion on this ? I do know that in at least 2 states where I've attended auctions the auction house isn't required to collect sales tax when they sell US coins.

Last edited:

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my opinion on this particular find for what it's worth. My theory would apply to any coins found but I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on tv. What gives the government the right to place a value on the coins ? Based on what ? Wholesale prices ? Retail ? Does someone at the IRS go to Ebay "ended auctions" and look to see what similar coins sold for ? What a joke. Technically a $20 gold coin since it is US currency, is only worth face value until you try to sell it. Don't believe me ? Take it to a bank and see what they will give you. It's my opinion that if the couple in CA had a good lawyer and told the IRS they had no plans for selling the coins that they should only be taxed on the face value of the coins. At some point in the future if they sell them they would then be responsible for paying taxes on the profit. Any actual lawyers here who have an opinion on this ? I do know that in at least 2 states where I've attended auctions the auction house isn't required to collect sales tax when they sell US coins.

I agree with you on the face value thing. Trouble is, by the time your lawyers get it settled, you'd have to sell the coins to pay to pay them. Everyone's got their hands in your darn pocket nowadays.

I guess that's why your supposed to keep your trap shut about it, huh?

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with most everybody's comments stating to keep YOUR mouth shut. Less is MORE! Most large finds are found on someone else's property. And the actual owners never had a clue it was there. But rest assured if your hoard find is announced, posted, filmed and pics shown you will pay taxes on the income. And this doesn't count the present property owners or past owners either getting involved. It just isn't worth it at all.

Bigfoot... I think you had it right or we're both wrong.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
In NYC, any coin which exceeds its face value is to be declared as found.

bwirth1999

Jun 23, 2007
Belvidere, IL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So do the actual "treasure hunters" not post on these forums any longer? I know they used to frequent this place only a few years ago. Surprised they haven't chimed in on this.

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So do the actual "treasure hunters" not post on these forums any longer? I know they used to frequent this place only a few years ago. Surprised they haven't chimed in on this.
Would you, I, in fact, would NEVER post a find here or anywhere if it had any value. Thats why, I never post finds.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Would you, I, in fact, would NEVER post a find here or anywhere if it had any value. Thats why, I never post finds.
I am the same as you . I never post or tell any one about my find's..

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm so vain, I would post every find if I could. Including a huge treasure.
Luckily, I'm to stupid to get the pics to load. ;)
Peace ✌

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread