Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A cats life. What's it worth?

Hi.
So back in 2003, our neighbors moved and left a kitten behind. Kitten was mauled by a dog. We found him bleeding w broken leg. It took 2 months and $1400 to get him together. Glad we did.
Cat has since thrived thru his life and has provided much happiness.
Last month he developed an ear infection. After two antibiotic shots and ear drops, an inner ear polyp was viewable. Damnit!
We were referred to a surgical clinic, of which we visited today.
Two procedures are needed. First a CT scan that costs approximately $1200 depending on meds and blood work.
Second, an ear operation that costs approximately $2500.
Folks, these numbers ain't what we wanted to hear.
Well, it didn't take one second to decide to spend the cash. We're going forward.
What would you do?
Thanks
Peace ✌

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent $4400 to have cancerous pol-lips removed form one of our cats ears.. that include a second 2 day stay for issues that came 2 days after surgery (should have been free in my mind but the money suckers make you pay for everything.. including Over priced drugs.. WAY inflated over priced ... he lived for 5 years after that..

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I lost one to abdominal cancer a couple of years ago. Spent over four thousand trying to save him. Would've spent more If I had to. Miss him a lot more than the money. :angel1:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Boy oh boy..... what a question to ask . I probably won't make a popular post here but please read it through before damning me.

My wife and I "rescue" dogs. And since 94' we've helped well over 30-40 dogs. We live in a rural wooded area of Hickman Co. TN. And we spend a LOT of money helping these animals. We now have 5 and this is about as low as I can remember. We've put down 2 dogs this year because of bad hips. They were so bad they wined, limped and were "asking" for help. We could have paid for hip replacements and other procedures but could not afford it. In fact MY black lab companion's hip is giving out now and won't last much longer (Mamma Dog).

We've spent $1000.00's of dollars on all these dogs through vet bills, FOOD, and meds. And we did then and now love them all VERY MUCH. They all give back much more then the money we've spent. They are so loyal and faithful.

But at some point a decision has to be made how much you can afford to spend and still properly care for the rest the remaining animals and your family's needs. That decision REALLY sucks at times. We just put down a beloved boxer dog call "Bubba" this month. Damn we all loved this animal and he was SO FAITHFUL and loving. But we can't afford $1000's of dollars to extend one animals life. We need some leeway to help others here and others coming.

I just sold a home 300 yds. north of my home (pending). Some kittens were born to a wild (feral) cat in 02". One female is left we call "Bootsie" and she's now 13 years old and looks like it. This cat has lived on the deck of this sold home all her life in her "cat box". I told the potential new owners that the cat comes with their new home. Thank God, they said not a problem.... we love cats! Now I'll pay for the food but if they had said no way... "the cat has to go"... I will tell EVERYONE I would have turned down the sale because of this cat.

But back to the original question.... What's a cat's life worth? .... I really don't know. I guess I'm a hypocrite. I'd turn down a house sale but can't/won't afford a hip replacement for beloved dogs.

Ok.... I didn't answer anything but I am an animal lover and take of the animals that I have. But a line has to be drawn when your caring for multiples and your family... How deep are your pockets?

Last edited:

Mike70

Jan 23, 2015
Gold Coast, Queensland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortez, Tesoro Stingray, C&G Wildcat, Pistol Probe Pro. Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't know how they justify the fees for animal care. They know people love their pets, and will pay anything to help them when they are sick, hence the high fees. I am one of those people who will go out of their way to help an animal in trouble, but with vet fees the way they are it's getting beyond a joke. You can get pet health insurance, more expense. I thought about becoming a vet when I was younger, but didn't. I probably wouldn't have made much money out of it because I would not be able to turn an animal away just because the owner could not afford to pay to get the treatment it needed. Just a softy I guess.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI; I had three cats; One just died 3 weeks ago. They "ARE" a part of your family whether we like it or not. There are Charities out there to help defray that cost. Go online and look for them ok. Don't delay. The cat is suffering with that infection and it can't tell you what's wrong or it's pain levels either ok. It needs your help. Do the right thing and get it fixed. My family is still choked up over losing Klancy Morgan Buckley. She was a sweet heart. RIP. My opinion. DO IT. !! Let us know. PEACE:RONB

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the value of something's can not be measure by mere money alone ...and if you have the funds to spare and can afford it the please feel free spend it how you wish , as that's the real worth of money anyway to do things that bring joy and happiness to yourself and others..

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have a cat with epilepsy (or horrible seizures at least) that was the last survivor of a litter in a house with Rottweilers that could not walk when we adopted her. We paid to have acupuncture for her rather than phenolphthalein (that makes a cat a dishrag). A cat that had been torn up by a dog/coyote and had a hole o one side and a hernia containing one kidney and some intestine under the skin on the other. A cat that had been ripped up by some animal and ended up losing his right front leg and was stitches everywhere else. Two others that were abandoned and starving that we took in.

All, knock wood, happy and healthy at the moment and thriving.

The local S.P.E.A.K. knows we will take care of the hopeless cases and don't take them all but do when we have an opening.

This is the poor little three legged feller when we got him home. Happily a vet had donated her time to patch him up.

HPIM2485.jpg

Pitiful to watch him walk. But the good news is he seldom does because he runs everywhere instead.
DSCN0243.jpg

He's best buds with the one who had the herniated kidney (look close)
DSCN1350_zps11362731.jpg

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$73.50 - for rabies Vac & declaw so they don't rip up your house.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A coyote killed a cat in a local subdivision yesterday. A neighbor that witnessed it said it was horrible

excav

Jul 16, 2011
northwest coast of ohio
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
At some point I think it's more humane to put an animal down than have it endure a miserable life in constant pain. I know of a dog that should have gone to doggie heaven a long time ago. Mostly blind and deaf, can't go up and down steps without help and bites almost anyone that touches it. What kind of life is that? I had to have our english cocker put down 11 years ago because of seizures , I said no more dogs, it hurt too much. I still have her collar hang ing from my truck mirror, but our present dog is laying in the chair next to me as I type this and I love her just as much. New pets happen.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ck

If you decide to go forward with treatment I am willing to help.I cant do alot but I can help some...pm me.

my animal family members are the world to me.I understand.perhaps others might feel a little compassion and kick in.

prayors heading your way my friend !!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a tough question to answer. And might be different for everyone. I don't blame someone for not spending money to save there pet. I also don't think someone that spends a small fortune on a pet is crazy. What I do think is crazy is when people tell everyone else what to do with their pet. Or what they should do. I have had cats, that if I would have had the money, I would have spent it to help them more. I've also had cats that I wished they would've got lost! SO, I'm mixed on it!

It's an individual choice, and who's to say what's right or too much for you and your pet. I guess it would be too much if your kids are suffering from not having food. Other than that? I'm pet pro-choice!:laughing7:

I've had pets that were like kids to us. We have also had pets, that were? Just pets! So, I see both sides to it! we saved a special needs cat, that was the coolest cat I ever had!!

I guess my personal line is when they start destroying the house because of incontinence and becoming a health concern for me or the family. I don't care how much I love it. Time to go! I've dealt with it, never again! Not, sure I will ever have an inside pet again. So,it's not even a matter of money to save them at that point.

Last edited:

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know exactly how you feel. My wife and I are Animal Control Officers for our town, and we do large animal rescue for our county. Living out in the country, we get what folks, mostly city, drop off because they can't care for them any more, or they are to sick and they don't have the money to spend on them. We are a N.Y. State licensed shelter, so we get donations of food. Because of this, we have held some animals 2 to 3 years before finding them a home. We charge nothing for them, but if they don't work out, you must bring them back. We do the best we can as far as vet calls go, and have a vet that stays with us when he is in the area covering for the local vets that are on vacation. He helps us with the animals that need help. We have done horses, donkeys, cows, goats, sheep, raccoons, peacocks, and just about everything else. Other than dog and cat food, everything else comes out our pocket. We receive no funding, and I would be lying if I said that it didn't get tight at times. We rescued 10 horses from a barn where they had been nailed in their stalls for over a year. They had paths where they walked because the manure was higher than there bellies. One mares hoof fell off as we were bringing her out, and had to be put down right there. We incurred just over 5000.00 in vet bills as all the horses hoofs needed extensive work as they had curled up like elves shoes. They pled guilty to 10 counts of animal abuse and was fined the amount of the vet bills. The judge ordered them to pay 20.00, yup, 20.00 a month. This was 3 years ago and we have not seen any of the money yet. I will be in the ground before it's payed off. So I understand exactly how you feel, and how hard it is to make a decision regarding their fate. I believe that if they have given you years of love and enjoyment, then you owe them to ease their pain and suffering by putting them down. Remember, once they have gone, they are free of pain. Pain and guilt are for the people left behind, wondering if they did the right thing. I am a firm believer in the Rainbow Bridge, and I'm sure our pets will be waiting for us when our turn comes. It is against my rational thinking that the good lord wouldn't have a special place for our pets.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
amazing post whammy...good on you !!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can we put a value on a life? Just do the right thing.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am going to be in the minority here. Your cat is twelve years old. If your vet tells you that you can expect your cat to survive with a reasonable quality of life for another couple of years after surgery then you need to follow your heart. But if the cat has other problems and is suffering in other ways then the most humane decision might be to euthanize it humanely.

My sister is currently paying fo dialysis for a 17 year old cat. I can tell you that this poor animal has no quality of life. It is in obvious pain. We let people go when they reach the end of life with no ability to sustain themselves without the use of feeding tubes and other mechanical devices. They are only keeping it alive out of "love". I contend that true love would allow the cat to pass on. Sad really.

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My then thirteen year old cat developed hyperthyroidism and was allergic to the medicine they normally prescribe. The alternatives were to let her die from the disease or have her go through radioactive destruction of her thyroid which involved a special clinic giving her a radioactive pill plus a three week stay at that clinic until her poop was no longer radioactive. But then we discovered the thyroid issue has raised her heart rate and caused cardio issues so first Meds and a series of echocardiogram to track that before treatment. But some $4500 later, she cured and went on to live another six years. I am thankful I had the extra years with her.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can we put a value on a life? Just do the right thing.[/QUOT]

Spay and neuter, or at least make plans that don't involve free range pets. Don't get me wrong I like cats, they eat rats.

I figure if a person wants to spend a half million on a cat, well then that cat must have earned its keep, even if it don't kill rats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions