Fisher F-75 at Club hunt

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I decided to take my four days mine Fisher F-75 to the Club Fun-Hunt today. She held up her end very well. I set the discrimination to 50, the notch to 33 (high nickels), the mode to default (dE) and the tones to delta pitch (dP). As all targets were shallow I set the sensitivity to 28. The manual states there is a quantum jump in resistive and reactive overload between 0 to 29 and 29 on up. I have no idea what those actually are, but I stayed in the conservative range. I expected the first hunt to be for cents, and it was for "modern" pulltabs, so I should probably have dropped the discrimination, but it seemed to work out OK anyway.

First hunt - pulltabs. One point each, two points for red and five points for blue. I was way back in the pack on the final tally.

Second hunt - cents. Hunt until you find a Canadian cent, then turn it in for a raffle ticket. If your ticket is later pulled from the barrel select one of eight envelopes for a prize. I found my cent almost immediately, but the second raffle number called selected the envelope with "Win All Remaining Prizes" so I got zilch in that event, too. (Even had to turn in the Canadian cent).

Third hunt - Cents stamped with either "X" or "Z" and salted bits of silver on the field, plus numbered copper cent-size tokens. Found 19 X cents, four Z cents, one token and, the best part, a Walking half, Barber quarter, two silver Washington quarters and two Barber dimes. I didn't see anyone else do as well on silver, though one fellow with a MXT got 74 "X" cents! WAY ahead of the rest of us, but he ran to the far end and worked back towards us (I think he had a system worth remembering there :D). His silver count was five dimes (Rosies & Barbers). Also to his credit, he seems to be a natural when it comes to surface hunting. Fast and no wasted motion (and no bifocals trying to eyeball old cents in the grass. ;-) The coins in the paper mounts are my prizes. The loose silver was found.

Hardly a test of depth, but I was very pleased with the general handling and hunt qualities of the F-75. I did get some deeper hits but we were encouraged not to dig on this outing - surface targets only, please and thank you. One fellow with an older Garrett couldn't get within 15 feet of me or his unit freaked out. I didn't notice any problems at my end; but I gave him wide berth thereafter. Found a couple spots maybe eight feet in diameter where I did get the "Rice Krispies" static that some have mentioned and signals bouncing from low 30's to high 60's. Not sure if it was concentrated trash or other causes, but as soon as I moved on it went back to silent search.

PS - the free rain covers work. We did get sprinkled on at one point.

Attachments

• HPIM0096ss.JPG
    HPIM0096ss.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 314
  • HPIM0100s.JPG
    HPIM0100s.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 317

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Nice going. Sounds like you're starting to get the hang of your F-75. Interesting targets for the hunts, the dreaded pulltab has it's day in the sun. 8)
I've found that a lot of hunts that have flyers will tell you what each hunt consists of and you can pretty much be prepared for what to set your machine at, but once in a while the huntmaster will throw a curve and listening to last minute instructions can be imperitive. Glad you enjoyed yourself. Good luck with your F-75 and congrats on bringing some silver home with you. HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread