Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Summer's Lament

Higgy checking in. Been a while since I posted anything. I hope you all haven't forgot me. Summer has got me in a whirl.

I retired early, but I am busier now than I ever have been in my whole life. Its amazing how big of a bite of that proverbial sandwich someone can take and still manage to chew it a little bit before he has to swallow and take another bite. This summer has been nuts. House renovations and additions, buying new property, and taking care of it all is a huge chore - one of which I get very little help. My nephew, Spencer drives up and helps me once a week, but I feel like I'm working his arse off, and I don't want to be the uncle known to always be tasking you with something that you dont want to do - I want to be the uncle that my family wants to come visit. So while I do have him help meon simple stuff, like help me lift this, or we'll put a new tranny in a tractor, or split some firewood, I will also take him out back and we'll shoot an old computer to bits and pieces to blow off steam.

My wife works very hard. Yep, she is still working, and probably will until she is 65 (we're only 57 now). She has an excellent position at the hospital, so its a sure thing for her to ride it out and grab the brass ring in a few years. Consequently, I get very little help. Consequently, this creates the lamentations derived from no joy.

Joy = treasure hunting

I can't afford to break away much but come Monday, I'm going to get out to an old quarry where people have been jumping into it for about 100 years. I'm so much into treasure diving, I could care less about swinging my Deus right now... not that I even have the time. I'd like to find something worth all of my effort, and with every target signal, I pray for a gold ring. No gold this year!

Anyway, thanks for listening to me complain. I hope that many of you are having a better season than me. Cheers, God Bless, and Good Luck to you all! :occasion14:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Summers are short here too, so I know what you mean. Too much to be done, and not enoughgood weather time to do it. But hey, detecting is important to our mental health, so get the heck out there. That quarry likely has a few rings with your name on them.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to world of retirement.:laughing7: Last year a buddy asked me how it was going. I stated that all I seemed to be doing is running around trying to put out the fires. He put his hand on my shoulder and kindly replied " I think your just going around setting them" That one statement really struck home as I realized that I was just putting too much on the plate and having the expectations of getting all the tasks done. I'm one year behind in what my expectations of completed tasks would be at right now.:( I can understand the interest in detecting and having the time or lack of having the time. I do try to take a short break now once a week to get a fix in, sand it seems to be a nice carrot for myself in this busy life. I'm jealous that you can exploit your Nephews help once a week. :)

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Higgy, prioritize. Something's have to be done now some don't. You need to have your relaxing time on that list too.
And if your asked to do something you really can't, learn to say "No".

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, I ain't near retirement and summer is my boom season. But, every now n then, I take a day off, walk into the woods with my detector and simply dig. I always exit woods feelin' better than when I entered. ;)
GL
Peace ✌

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Higgy, prioritize. Something's have to be done now some don't. You need to have your relaxing time on that list too.
And if your asked to do something you really can't, learn to say "No".

Good advice, and I'm sure that all of my angst is derived from my own priorities.

Aside from detecting, I also have a strong artistic creature inside me that needs to be fed. This winter season I will be taking up the fine art of building choppers - well at least one or two. Its just something I have to do. The things in my way now are also in the way of me being able to spend some time pursuing the dream of riding bikes again, which is a long story. Some of you may already know of the serious motorcycle crash I had in '07, which left me with some debilitating brain injury. For the most part, I am fine now, but it was a long road to get here. Consequently, I've not ridden since 2007, and its an itch that I can't seem to scratch until I do it again - no matter the outcome.

So something has to give. The only detecting I do now is underwater, and I'm lucky if I get out once a week. I combine a trip to the dive shop for a tank refill with a trip to Home Depot for more supplies. I'm thinking that when the cold wind blows, and I'm inside my shop with a bike frame in the jig, and music on the stereo, and a fresh log on the fire in the stove, I'll reflect back on all of this hectic work I've done this summer and smile. :occasion14:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Higgy , is the quarry you're about to hunt a deep water situation ? Sounds like a nice opportunity .

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Higgy , is the quarry you're about to hunt a deep water situation ? Sounds like a nice opportunity .

Not too deep. Thirty feet of water max, I reckon. The highest sheer face to jump from into the water is about 30 feet, so I can't reason that the bottom is very deep. Guess I'll know when I get to the bottom, lol. :laughing7:

Rest assured that I won't be spending much time over 20' without a dive buddy. Diving by yourself is not recommended, and I have always prescribed to it, but I also have no qualms about diving solo in depths that I can easily freedive.

Tomorrow is the day!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you'll score - I think the vast majority of inland water pools like that (pond, quarry , small lake,etc) will not have
been detected due to the relative scarcity of detectorists who are also dive trained . There should be a lot of trash in
there too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread