The very first signal you dug...you found?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do remember. It would have been about 1972 and the detector was a Radio Shack kit (Archer?) that used a PC board with an exposed "loop" for the coil. I found a quarter at about 1/2" deep (just under the grass weave). It wasn't truly a viable detector though it did work . . . until the first time I hit that exposed printed coil on rough ground and then "game over"

The first find with my Musketeer (my first "real" detector) was a glob of brazing metal/solder about 3" deep.

So, obviously the Radio Shack detector was better! ;-)

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old Budweiser can, 3 weeks into this and still no "good" finds but that will change in the next signal, I just know it!

Damn right buddy..... love the attitude. You ever come up to TN. (not far from me) let's hook up and dig................................................................... some more horseshoes. But I do have a lot of area to dig on... Brad

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a Mercury dime in an empty lot behind our house. Can't quite pin the year down but, White's had just come out with their, "Coinmaster IV. I do remember that back then they had a monthly payment plan!

GooniePirate

Oct 25, 2010
Clark County Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett ACE 350, Whites 6000DiS3, Jetco Mustang
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was the brass from a 12ga shotgun shell with my Jetco Mustang. Would have been about '73 or '74.

DashHopes

Aug 10, 2015
Canada USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2.
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st was a nail.

2nd was a 1935 Royal Saxony Silverplate Tablespoon.

My first coin was a 1975 Canadian Penny

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... Can't quite pin the year down but, White's had just come out with their, "Coinmaster IV. ...

Ah, then that would be about 1974, as that was the year that machine was rolled out. It had a very good all-metal VLF (aka GEB) mode. But an exceptionally lousy TR disc. :)

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
A spoon I think, I was using my White's BFO machine, and it was a long time ago. I remember that the BFO would do false hits on me really badly, and I'd been having fits getting hits and nothing would be there. Then out popped this spoon all twisted up in a wad.

Benhuntn

Greenie
Jul 31, 2015
Charles County, Md
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been hunting for two weeks so it is easy to remember. I found a pull tab at two inches. Then five minutes later I found a beer can missing a pull tab.

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been hunting for two weeks so it is easy to remember. I found a pull tab at two inches. Then five minutes later I found a beer can missing a pull tab.

You may be on to something.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took three steps from my porch with my new Ace250 and dug a zincoln...I was hooked.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad penny. My first cool find that bit me hard was an old religious medallion found under a huge old tree, on the grounds of an old school. I still have it and fell hard right there and then.
A penny isn't clad.

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poison ivy roots, and learned they were as the leaves.
Must have wiped my brow and forgot I had stopped to tinkle.
Next week and a half was no fun.
Ray

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Had an old Radio Shack detector, drove to old abandoned stage station, found many square nails. Got hooked. Later went to Padre Island(before National seashore). Found mucho. But nails first. Late 50's-early 60's. Can't remember...

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased a mail order beep and dig detector in 1970, when I was in the Navy.
I received it and decided that a beach on a Filipino Island would be a good place to start.
I think I found a one Peso Coin. At the time the exchange rate was 6 pesos to 1 US dollar.
I don't know if I still have that coin,, boy this post does make one overcome brain farts.:laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread