Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:occasion15::occasion16::wav::occasion13:
There is no holiday in August so this will be ours! HAPPY BIRTHDAY T NET!!!!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
deepseeker ADS, thanx for the nostalgic look back..

In '83, Compuserve had newsgroups for metal detecting, very few and very basic. But we were all using those 300 baud modems, and very few were fortunate to live in a location where the portal was a local call. Today we can post a one meg digital picture in moments, where then it was darned near an hour's upload and download. Digital cameras were not available then, and I didn't buy a scanner until sometime in the early 90's. So, yes, simply because of that there were very few pictures posted, and newsgroups were essentially limited to chit-chat. Internet Explorer was first launched in '95, where Netscape was launched in '94. Prior to that, there were only Telnet, FTP, Gopher, and another or so slipping my mind right now.

Telnet - Introduced in 1968, was a bi-directional communications protocol - We connected with this.
FTP - File Transfer Protocol was introduced in 1971 - I used FTP to bounce around between connected servers
Gopher - Introduced in 1991 as a "search" protocol - Good gracious the things you could find with that!
Mosaic - The first good browser introduced in 1993. There were others prior to that, but Mosaic was the first to take off

With my first dedicated internet connection, we were given these as separate programs, and getting them all together and working properly was in your own hands, not much help available to make it all work. And each program, you have to run separately.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked for company that owned UUnet for 10 years, from mid 90s- to about 2005 UUNET built a good portion of the backbone of the internet. Heck with Al Gore I built more of internet than he did....LOL

UUNET, founded in 1987, was one of the largest internet providers and one of the early Tier 1 networks. it was one of the first commercial internet service providers. Today, UUNET is an internal brand of Verizon Business (formerly MCI)

In 1990, UUNET launched its AlterNet service, which provided access to an IP backbone independent of the constraints of those operated by the government. That network lives on in a much larger form and serves as the core of a set of products which include access at dial-up and broadband speeds as well as web hosting.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
To sum this up between TH and I :)

TreasueNet IS the real deal - the REAL PIONEER!

That they continue to survive and dominate - all others pale - is the true testament as to what TreasureNet is to us today.

They need more charter members! And we all need to really appreciate the free service they provide us otherwise - and follow the rules here, of course :)

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I had no idea T'Net has been around that long! Way to go!! :occasion14:

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder who are the longest active members, aside from you, Treasure!

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm a newbie compared to some members....We have members still here who joined not long after TN started. Mod JeffOfPa I think was one of first 50 to join....

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been popping in here every so often before joining last year since 95.

I will have been a member for one year the day after the 18th.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is old TreasureNet webpage from 1996...You can actually click on and read the threads and posts and members on at time snapshot was taken is listed at bottom..

TreasureNet Forum - Index

Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope the mods won't get upset about me using a brand name, but it was for a long time a part of TNet, and that's history, and they aren't here now, but it's how I discovered TNet. I have purchased White's detectors exclusively starting back in the late 60's with a BFO unit. We moved to Oregon, and I went up to Sweet Home and visited White's, went through the museum, found out some things about the BFO, and ended up with a DI Pro 6000. That was all before I owned a computer. My first computer I wasn't on the internet and couldn't email. It was a graphics computer and I could do labels over live analog video with that computer. I remember it had 55K of ram and I purchased two megs of add on memory, and that cost me $700. Eventually in the late 80's or early 90's I discovered MAC video editing, so I upgraded, and as a side benefit the guy helping me get set up put me on the internet. I didn't use the net much even then, it was just to darn slow. But one day I was playing around looking for metal detecting stuff, and found White's web page, and that page was attached to TNet, and I would go there in my spare time --- it had to be spare time because everything was so slow. Then White's left TNet and did their own web page. It wasn't the same, and I stayed with TNet. But I remember the days when it took real time for a picture to down load, some times two or three minutes, maybe even more than that, per photo. Ah yes, the good old days.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hmm, maybe because I am a Mod on another forum, but I can do a membership sort by join date there, but couldn't figure how to do that here.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, maybe because I am a Mod on another forum, but I can do a membership sort by join date there, but couldn't figure how to do that here.
Can't do it here since new software in 2012...

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
When I came back to detecting after too long an absence, I joined another forum to ask questions, and I found nothing really to help. But I did see a lot that discouraged me. I wanted a modern detector versus my 1260X. I figured that had to be very old news and completely outdated. Well, I made a purchase, and chose the wrong one cheapo thingie. On there a few weeks, and Internet searches found TNet.

I haven't been on the other site for a very long time, I can't remember when I went there last.

I found good people here with zero arguments or self righteous crap here. And here I stay. I wish I'd have found TNet earlier, and I wouldn't have wasted green backs on crap detectors.

This site is more than Friendly - it is more Family :)

You guys are all great, the best I have found.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
HAPPY HAPPY..... bunny-dance.gif ... TNET .. Is on fire congrats.. Animated-moving-fire_alarm-bell-ringing.gif

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I just wanna use this thread to ask a question that has been egging me on to ask...

What ever happened to that Kindle School... the one that got all the free detectors from people here...
And vowed to engage and post the finds ?

Anyone seen or heard from em ?

Did not want to start a thread to ask... and more will see here than another thread.

delete after... or if no response.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I came back to detecting after too long an absence, I joined another forum to ask questions, and I found nothing really to help. But I did see a lot that discouraged me. I wanted a modern detector versus my 1260X. I figured that had to be very old news and completely outdated. Well, I made a purchase, and chose the wrong one cheapo thingie. On there a few weeks, and Internet searches found TNet.

I haven't been on the other site for a very long time, I can't remember when I went there last.

I found good people here with zero arguments or self righteous crap here. And here I stay. I wish I'd have found TNet earlier, and I wouldn't have wasted green backs on crap detectors.

This site is more than Friendly - it is more Family :)

You guys are all great, the best I have found.

Same here :wink:

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
And just to add a bit of humor, when I did a quick search to see if other forums ever asked the same "origin" question, I did manage to find one and I will post that thread here...if you dont care to read the responses i'll sum it up by saying, the origin question was asked, quickly dismissed, the OP ridiculed for, among other things, having too much time on his/her hands and after about 6 total responses the entire issue was abandoned....

Very telling and maybe a nice underscore to the staying power and active members of TNET.

-H

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread