On August 8, TreasureNet Will BE 20 Years Old

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Big 20... which in "websites" IS old.
AND...
The day after marks my first year in those 20 I was actually a "member".

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Question: To anyone's knowledge, what were the other forums around for md'ing, at that time ?

I bumped into some guys, from San Jose, CA (the tech mecha of the universes) on the beach, in about 1996-ish. And they were talking about "the internet" and "the forum where you can see what guys are finding back east and in England", etc... The forum they spoke of was T'net. So when my company finally got a computer later that year or the next, I figured out where this "treasurenet" was, and enjoyed reading all the posts from around the USA and world. Photographs were cryptic at the time (at dial-up speeds, and very few had the cameras and tech. to be able to post pix anyhow).

I never knew of any other forums, as there wasn't even (proficient) search engines at that time.

So does anyone know of forums that pre-dated T'net ?

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost time for new hip - congrats TN - :occasion14:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Happy Birthday ole chap! :blob5::occasion5::blob5::occasion5::blob5::occasion5::blob5::occasion5::blob5:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote that would be a good day to try and break old attendance record.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is conflicting info on true date it was started, Domain was registered on August 8, 1995, but it was actually started in late 1994 as a page on Net out of frustration on finding info on an old Spanish treasure. I am unable to find the actual date yet but still searching.

This is a line from Marc on a different forum.

"What my visitors don't know about me, is that I created TreasureNet out of the frustration of knowing where a real Spanish treasure was buried near San Antonio in 1811..Date: 02/01/99 From: Mark Austin"

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will there be cake??!!? :hello::occasion14:

I can make a nice big ole "dirt clod cake"...
Using nothing but the finest ingredients... like...
Some beach sand mixed with concrete... some regular ole dirt.... some mud... ("triple layer")

Then decorate with bottle caps and pull tabs. :)

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm proud to be a member! Happy 20th Treasure Net :occasion14:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
So does anyone know of forums that pre-dated T'net ?

In '95 from my end, it was all about news groups, and there were a number then devoted to metal detecting. The web was just blossoming, and Netscape was king. So, TreasureNet is, and was, a pioneer.

Yahoo mail launched in '97, and I joined then. Hotmail came very shortly after that, but I saw no need for it then. Later I picked up a Hotmail account so I'd have alternatives. About a year ago, Hotmail sent me a congratulations for 15 years as a member. Yahoo didn't send me anything like that.

And back in the mid-90's, internet services came and went. Thus we were constantly changing e-mail addresses. I still change services, don't take no crap. But those Yahoo and Hotmail accounts remain.

I first joined CompuServe in March of '83. Mom had been on since '80 when it was called "The Well". Per my location, back then they were always long distance calls on 300 baud modems. Was expensive both directions, so times were on-line were limited. By '91, 14.4 baud modems were ruling, and I spent a great deal of time on Rusty & Edies. I was in college for my bachelor's in '90, and at school we had the Internet. From there I learned the ways to get in from home - though still a bit expensive measured by the minute through portals. By '92, I was on adventures through Russian servers re-directing me all over the place. Just randomly searching thru Gopher, FTP. Telnet and whatever I could connect to, I actually found my design drawing for a paint system I'd done for Harley-Davidson in Kansas City - and this was from a Russian server re-direct.

We don't have all that complication these days. But the servers are no longer wide open = unprotected.

Life was so simple then.

To sum this up, TNet was a very early development in the history of the Internet today. Prior to about '94 when I got my first true Internet connection, it was all very obscure. TNet was an early adopter of the future, and remains as such.

My congratulations to TNet!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
482k.gif

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the 20 year milestone Treasure Net, can't even imagine what this site will look like in another 20 as technology is changing so quickly.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
In '95 from my end, it was all about news groups,...

deepseeker ADS, thanx for the nostalgic look back. When I posed my question, I thought about excluding "newsgroups" from the question. Because yes, you're right, they predated "forums" for 10+ yrs. But they were nothing more than a mere text chit-chat, with nothing to click on for topic specific sections, no pictures, etc.... Ie.: nothing like we think of today in "forums".

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking she needs to give up a "20 dollar" gold piece for her B-Day!!!!:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread