corpsman

Jul 7, 2015
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Had: Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Bandito 2 uMax, Tesoro Bandito 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just laid out a new test bed in my back yard. I buried several items at various depths, and kept a legend, so I wouldn't forget what items are where, and how deep they are. I know realize the targets will sound different than ones that have been in the ground since the civil war, but I'm wondering how much that will affect my reading. (sound and conductivity number) I checked immediately after burying the items, and some of them didn't sound too good. I wouldn't have dug them if I was on a hunt and got that signal. the ground is very dry right now, so obviously that affects it also. any help would be appreciated.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
You do know you are supposed to water your 'test garden' with distilled water, right? Just don't
use commercial fertilizers. In the '80s all the treasure rags were high on test gardens. There
were elaborate diagrams of the ideal test garden. Never knew anyone who grew one though.
Back then everyone was too busy digging real silvers, rings and wheaties to bother practicing
metal detecting.

Then came the whiz bang breeds of detectors which were so hard to learn the magazines
started the test garden protocol to teach newcomers what goodies sounded like in the ground.
Don't mean to sound jaded, really. But to me it seems redundant to practice an art that is
better served at the actual dig site.

OP
OP
C

corpsman

Jul 7, 2015
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Had: Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Bandito 2 uMax, Tesoro Bandito 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yeah, I've been hunting for about 25 years, and I've never had a test bed. but I recently got a new detector, and I thought it might not be a bad idea to have kind of a standard to go by. I agree that the best practice comes from a real site, but on the other hand, I would like to make sure I have my settings optimized before hand, so I don't miss some goodies that might not give a great signal otherwise.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When acquiring a new detector, I do a quick air test with various coinage/relics before heading out.
I've given up on the test bed/garden option. Too much trouble. Not enough infield info.
GL
Peace ✌

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only buried clad quarter, dime, nickel, Lincoln penny and a Zincoln in that order and with the quarter at 8" and the rest at 6". I only use this bed as a kind of guage to test various machines and coil combos.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread