Teen finds 17.6oz gold bar while swimming in German Alpine lake.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa! Hold on here! The police searched the lake and "found no other valuables"! In a tourist area!!?? ??????? Really? Not one ring or piece of jewelry??????? Just how honest are the police being?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Post the German law Tom.......

Hi TH'r. As my post said, I was "assuming" the teen was following some sort of law. It's entirely possible that Germany is "finders keepers". But I can't help but think they , like us, MUST have some sort of lost & found laws. Otherwise, what's to stop someone from "finding" a moutain bike parked outside the coffee shop ? Or "finding" the wandering cow (that got out through a hole in fence) with no obligation that it still belongs to the farmer?

There may in fact be no obligation there to have turned it in. I dunno.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guarantee that lake is being dove by detectorists as we speak.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The merchants in small towns in Germany leave their merchandise outside unlocked when they close for lunch, 12-3pm and a bowl you can put the money in if you want to purchase an item while they are gone.
So the moral fiber of society there maybe a tad different than ours.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
There was a theory or rumor or whatever you want to call it about gold the Nazi's stole sitting in the bottom of a lake. I don't remember the name of it, but I wonder if this is the lake they were already trying to find it in the past?

Hey!!!? The numbers are ground off! lol I wonder if that was before or after the police got a hold of it!:laughing7: No numbers? no proof of owner!

Berchtesgaden was location of Hitler's "Eagle's Nest" built by Martin Borrman and appears in many videos of Hitler.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Berchtesgaden was location of Hitler's "Eagle's Nest" built by Martin Borrman and appears in many videos of Hitler.

ah, all the more reason to be because of some sort of "cultural heritage" issues ?

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ah, all the more reason to be because of some sort of "cultural heritage" issues ?

And numbers to be missing! Before or after found! Makes you wonder! Could have even been taken by a U.S soldier and ground and was going to retrieve later.... The possibilities are endless! ok ok I watch too many movies! :laughing7:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Guess she was just brought up to do what's right regardless of self gain. If the bar is tied to the Nazi reign maybe she did what she did on moral grounds.
The bar isn't 500gr any longer with that grind out. 16 oz & 18K is nothing to sneeze about.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Guess she was just brought up to do what's right.....

Hmm, just wondering what makes it the "right" thing to do? I would agree with you if there is a law there (such as there is L&F laws here in the USA). But let's say there isn't such laws. Then what ?

Or perhaps you meant "right", as in .... something like giving up your bus seat to an elderly person (even though no law requires that a person do that) ?

Either way, whether morally "right" (like the bus seat example), or legally "right" (if there are L&F laws), what you post sort of paints a bad light on a bunch of the respondees of this post, who out-right-say they'd have kept it, not said a thing, etc....

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, just wondering what makes it the "right" thing to do? I would agree with you if there is a law there (such as there is L&F laws here in the USA). But let's say there isn't such laws. Then what ?

Or perhaps you meant "right", as in .... something like giving up your bus seat to an elderly person (even though no law requires that a person do that) ?

Either way, whether morally "right" (like the bus seat example), or legally "right" (if there are L&F laws), what you post sort of paints a bad light on a bunch of the respondees of this post, who out-right-say they'd have kept it, not said a thing, etc....

No, Because she did what was right for her, and I'd do what was right for me! So, it's not bad light! I would just buy a better light with the money from the gold bar! :laughing7: In this situation.

Just had to mess with you!:laughing7:

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

No that wasn't my intention trying to paint a bad light Tom. What I was trying to say is that there are some that would just hand it in, right or wrong it's what they think their moral duty to do so. The ones in life where there's no grey areas, it's always do what they think is right even if it's not what 90%+ of the norm would do. Finding a wallet/purse while detecting and I have returned many as it's the right thing to do. To find a gold bar sitting on the bottom of the lake the only ticket that would be handed out would be the one for showing my bare arse when the swim trunks are falling down from the weight as I walk proudly to the gold exchange. :)

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm assuming the teen , by turning it in, was following some sort of German lost & found type law? Or a German cultural heritage law ? And I see from all the replies so far, that everyone seems to think the teen made a mistake by-doing-so. Hmmmm, wouldn't that teenage girl simply have been following the law? Tsk tsk :)

What about this pinned thread: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/362060-obey-laws.html

IMO you are right Morally .......BUT..I don,t trust the Police or Govt, Officials .
Now that Police department can buy a Few New H&K MP-5's.

It say's USA on it SOOO, maybe it can go towards our Country's Debt. LOL

Hopefully the Girl came from a wealthy Family.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess she was just brought up to do what's right regardless of self gain. If the bar is tied to the Nazi reign maybe she did what she did on moral grounds.
The bar isn't 500gr any longer with that grind out. 16 oz & 18K is nothing to sneeze about.

Am I wrong or is 999.9 Gold more like 23-24 K???

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Bar was found in the state of Bavaria in Germany, their laws in that state say finder and land owner share the find 50/50 unless a prior agreement was reached. Gold was not found on land but rather in the water, and it is not Nazi era gold either,

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd love to see what would happen to all you "finders keepers" people who would try to bring that bar home on the plane.
Especially when the customs officer looks at all the file marks! :laughing7:
So, how does one get a gold bar like that out of Germany?
Send it in the mail?
???

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
lets see at a $ 1.120.00 per oz spot price that's $19.738 ... I can think of a lot of things I could do with $20,000 and with the ID numbers "ground off " finding and returning it to the lawful former legal owner will be next to impossible ...so I guess the "grubbermint" gets ownership .... the gal needs a "tee shirt"---- I found $20.000 in gold and all I got was a " jr police badge , a cap and screwed out of my gold "

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread