Teen finds 17.6oz gold bar while swimming in German Alpine lake.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well then you will be banned from T'net for your advocation of law-less-ness. How can you sleep at night ? Tsk tsk. But not to worry: All the other persons who say they'd have simply kept it, will be on shortly to repent of their evil ways!

Hell... this is no different then finding a large gold ring laced with diamonds on the ocean or lake front or deep in the woods. MD'er's have dug many items worth a lot of money and kept it. This gold bar would have never left my hands till I melted it and sold it off. It's no different then if someone found a couple of old leather bags with gold coins in them. I wouldn't turn them in to "someone" nor would I "look", "tell" or advertise any find of great value. And we can talk about all the "moral" laws or man made laws all day... but if the landowner or owner of said valued item(s) knew it was there then they better damn well go get it.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if you sold the bar in Germany, you would still have to explain coming home with $20,000 more cash than what you left with

Western Union, prepaid debit card, Paypal...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... he got busted at the border for trying to smuggle a whole pile of gold jewelry that he bought for cheap in Jamaica.....

I haven't done international flights like that before, but ......... It's hard for me to imagine that they search your luggage to THAT degree. I mean, sheesk, I'm not sure how big that "pile of jewelry" was, but assuming a handful, and if he puts it in with his dirty clothes in his regular checked-in suitcase, do they REALLY riffle through everyone's luggage to that degree ?? I thought they were after drugs and explosives? Since when isn't jewelry (or even a gold bar) not legal to be in one's luggage ??

In any case, assuming it's true that simply carrying a handful of jewelry IS not allowed, then here's the easy way to get that shipped back home. Assuming you couldn't just simply mail it to yourself, you can do this:

You go to any expensive tourist zone furniture or antiques shop. Buy a lamp, or a rug, etc.... Then tell the merchant: "Ship it to this address". And then say "oh, and also please put this into the rolled up rug". Because those merchants routinely ship legitimate products to all different places. Thus their shipments don't get scrutinized. It's quite common for well-heeled art-buyers, etc... to buy something, and just say "ship it to this address". Then you simply insert your item into that lamp, or whatever it is you bought. Then when you get home to the states, it's there for you.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't done international flights like that before, but ......... It's hard for me to imagine that they search your luggage to THAT degree. I mean, sheesk, I'm not sure how big that "pile of jewelry" was, but assuming a handful, and if he puts it in with his dirty clothes in his regular checked-in suitcase, do they REALLY riffle through everyone's luggage to that degree ?? I thought they were after drugs and explosives? Since when isn't jewelry (or even a gold bar) not legal to be in one's luggage ??

In any case, assuming it's true that simply carrying a handful of jewelry IS not allowed, then here's the easy way to get that shipped back home. Assuming you couldn't just simply mail it to yourself, you can do this:

You go to any expensive tourist zone furniture or antiques shop. Buy a lamp, or a rug, etc.... Then tell the merchant: "Ship it to this address". And then say "oh, and also please put this into the rolled up rug". Because those merchants routinely ship legitimate products to all different places. Thus their shipments don't get scrutinized. It's quite common for well-heeled art-buyers, etc... to buy something, and just say "ship it to this address". Then you simply insert your item into that lamp, or whatever it is you bought. Then when you get home to the states, it's there for you.

I do believe this!

I knew a woman whose husband died, She went to fly from the east coast to cali while moving there, taking trips back and forth while moving. She had a box of gold coins and a box of jewelry in her carry on. She was about 83 years old. They pulled her in a room and questioned her for hours. This was in the U.S. about 5 years ago. She never got into any trouble but they pulled everything out, she missed her flight and was held up for a couple hours from questioning. IT is a big deal!

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess if you could incorporate it into something else and were lucky it would make it ok.

I have mailed boxes to Germany, "everything" has to be listed on the customs slip.
As a business we have also received merchandise from China that still had the "opened by customs" tape from the US customs still on it.

I think if it was in a shipping container on a ship with other containers it would have a better shot at making it. Individual packages from the general public they x-ray.
I have heard that the sender & receiver's name & address of all packages are recorded by the US.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold falls under the patriot act. somewhere. Supposedly it is a way of terrorists moving cash and money around. That is what was explained to me, not sure if there is any truth to it. I think the real reason is......There are millions and millions a day in gold/cash transactions that are unrecorded in this country alone. It is big business! There was something to do with taking it in and out of other countries. tax, maybe. A lot of this stuff was explained to me years ago and I don't remember details or why. There are news stories of smugglers that swallow it! and get caught in xray going from one country to the next. Or I remember one that ended up in a hospital because he couldn't pass it. I think I read it on this site even. It's big business and big money! Tom mentioned drugs? Probably falls along the same lines or just as big if not bigger! Preachers,business,individuals,etc.......

Last edited:

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!!! If that was us...........there would be no story!!! :laughing7:

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
53df98a3ee9b4dbad8193706a9fcf9f6.jpg

Brother Al your in NO danger.....

Oh! Thank you so much. Tom really had me worried. I shaved my beard bleached my hair and was about to glue on the mustache in preparation for a profile picture on a new TN account... It's OK, I'm calmer now...:laughing9:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
my thoughts -- halt maul.... keepie der gold ....since its id number has been ruined ...there is just no way that the legit "buyer" owner can be found ....and if the choice is give it to "the state coffers" and get 4.1 % ( $822.89) of its real value or keep it and get 20.000 ,,,well to be honest --since I would have found it and did all the recovery work, I feel that I deserve more than 4.1 % --the "state" who did nothing at all but they claim its "theirs" gets 95% ? ---WTF?---oh yah like that's fair or right... not..... just der "grubbermint" at work ...:evil5::whip2:

Last edited:

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess if you could incorporate it into something else and were lucky it would make it ok.

I have mailed boxes to Germany, "everything" has to be listed on the customs slip.
As a business we have also received merchandise from China that still had the "opened by customs" tape from the US customs still on it.

I think if it was in a shipping container on a ship with other containers it would have a better shot at making it. Individual packages from the general public they x-ray.
I have heard that the sender & receiver's name & address of all packages are recorded by the US.

Hi Ms. Beep, there not recorded by US, there recorded by THEM! a former family member was a Very highly ranked memer of the NSA. It's my firm belief that everything that can be recorded is recorded.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right, 24K. The 18K was the monitory value, lazy me should of written $18,000

No problem, I was not even sure myself, just many posters were going along with the 18 k "Quote"
HH
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions