Teen finds 17.6oz gold bar while swimming in German Alpine lake.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd melt that sucker down into 1 ounce bars and sell them on eBay! No way in heck would I hand that over to the police.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A regret she will live with for the rest of her life...

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A $19,777.12 mistake, based on the current price of gold! Ouch!

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't there a thing once upon a time called..... Finders keepers, losers weepers?
That would be my family vacation right there! Which river was this again, I'll suite up and test my luck for 18k ;)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is one...

there are more.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, imagine the *DING* or *BEEP* your detector would make passing over something this size...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I found it police would never know....

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is one...

there are more.

There was a theory or rumor or whatever you want to call it about gold the Nazi's stole sitting in the bottom of a lake. I don't remember the name of it, but I wonder if this is the lake they were already trying to find it in the past?

Hey!!!? The numbers are ground off! lol I wonder if that was before or after the police got a hold of it!:laughing7: No numbers? no proof of owner!

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'm assuming the teen , by turning it in, was following some sort of German lost & found type law? Or a German cultural heritage law ? And I see from all the replies so far, that everyone seems to think the teen made a mistake by-doing-so. Hmmmm, wouldn't that teenage girl simply have been following the law? Tsk tsk :)

What about this pinned thread: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/362060-obey-laws.html

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, ground off numbers means it was probably stolen in the first place. There's no way anyone will ever claim that gold bar, so why turn it in?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Yup, ground off numbers means it was probably stolen in the first place. There's no way anyone will ever claim that gold bar, so why turn it in?

Does the law make exception for "ground off #'s" ?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm assuming the teen , by turning it in, was following some sort of German lost & found type law? Or a German cultural heritage law ? And I see from all the replies so far, that everyone seems to think the teen made a mistake by-doing-so. Hmmmm, wouldn't that teenage girl simply have been following the law? Tsk tsk

I'm sorry, but only a fool would turn in a 20k stolen gold bar, law or no law.

Smithsgold

Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites and Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BERLIN (AP) — A teenager has made an unexpected find while swimming in a lake in the German Alps: a 500-gram (17.6-ounce) bar of gold.
Police said Wednesday that they are still trying to figure out where the bar comes from and how it got into the Koenigssee lake, a popular tourist destination near Berchtesgaden on the border with Austria.
The 16-year-old girl, who was on vacation, found it around 2 meters (6 ½ feet) under the surface on Friday and handed it in to police.
Divers on Tuesday carried out a thorough search of the area around where the bar was found, but didn't find any more gold or other valuables.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... law or no law.

Correct. I spoke "tongue in cheek". Because at other times, md'rs can get "very zealous" when it comes to laws-of-choice. But then when it borders on silly (as in this), they agree to wink-wink these sort of "spitting on sidewalk" type laws.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the law make exception for "ground off #'s" ?

Yes,It's called "nitric's" law! I follow the laws, there are a few exceptions and "nitrics" revisions! Can't help that! :laughing7: I guess there's a price too! Weigh it out, gold bar in one hand and hat,feelings in the other! :laughing7:

Oh, that's just for finding things, or in treasure hunting.! Don't get me wrong! But if I found gold bar? Not going to tell a sole! Unless, I knew it was stolen from a house or something. And I know that can be debated forever too. We'll say stolen recently. Other than that it's mine!

Last edited:

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
i think it belongs to this bank, Degussa,from the stamp on it
https://www.degussa-bank.de/

460x.jpg

Teen finds gold bar while swimming in German Alpine lake

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread