Why are there so many random things in the middle of no where?

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to google maps for places to look for gold and I sometimes see odd places like this.

i dont get how 60 miles in to the wilderness mountain or even 100 miles wihere there are no living people there are places like this?
I'd really like to hike to the cabin in the middle of bum fd egypt but im sure that that would take days With lions tigers bears and snakes.
Why are there roads and cabins in some of the remote places? feels like I can almost find a lost civilization or be in that movie the hills have eyes.
90oi.png 687i.png

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
People. Can't kill 'em, can't eat 'em, and they are just running amuck in the flipping woods!

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The flick, "Hills Have Eyes" says otherwise?
They did kill 'em and did eat 'em. ;)
But yes, people will continually run amuck.
Peace ✌

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
People inherit, buy and lease land. Then it gets used for various things at various times. For instance, the pic on the right looks like a chop shop for big trucks and old industrial equipment...

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks to be a little big for a cabin, it's probably easier to just to drive there and ask the folks why are the living in bum fd America and see what the reply is. There's going to be two responses, one being a cup of good ol' fashion coffee, or you might be picking bird shot out of the bum when they put the run on ya. The way I see this is that somebody already had the idea and got there first as they were fed up with dealing with the rat race, and picked this little spot of paradise to be alone.

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And if they do? Be sure to save the lead from your bum.....add it to your annual scrap sale....it adds up!

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 50 miles east of my home town is Bly, Oregon....former training camp for Taliban terrorists. Dog Cry Ranch to be exact. Nobody thought anything of the gunfire out in their direction, which is pretty common around here....I wouldn't want to have gone and knocked on their door!! A few places around here, you just don't want to go nosin' around....meth labs and such!! That might be exactly what you are looking at on Google Earth!!:dontknow:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
About 50 miles east of my home town is Bly, Oregon....former training camp for Taliban terrorists. Dog Cry Ranch to be exact. Nobody thought anything of the gunfire out in their direction, which is pretty common around here....I wouldn't want to have gone and knocked on their door!! A few places around here, you just don't want to go nosin' around....meth labs and such!! That might be exactly what you are looking at on Google Earth!!:dontknow:

Exactly T.C. folks that are living in the remote areas of the country are there for a reason, usually to keep a lot distance from people. Most are good but there is the ones that are out in the boonies for other reasons like you mentioned.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because...

The middle of nowhere...
was somewhere...
at least for someone...
or something...
at some time :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't find a good spot to pan in Brookings so I was looking else were. The cabin Is around craigs creek in smith river California, the trucks are more east of that.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To put things into perspective California population per. Sq. mi. it works out to be 244.5 persons per sq. mi. if you spread them all out over the state. The State has 3 million more than Canada which if we spread out it's 9.25 per Sq. Mi. So it comes down to there just not enough space, so no wonders there's folks living out of the way.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The area kitt was referring to has a lot of national forest, so to find private property there is a good thing. Very few people, very nice.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you are obviously retired ( wish I had so much time)

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of dope grown down in that part of the country....good place to avoid!!8-)
I couldn't find a good spot to pan in Brookings so I was looking else were. The cabin Is around craigs creek in smith river California, the trucks are more east of that.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya....I was born and raised over here on the east side of the Cascades. There are places over here you couldn't get me to go to on a dare!! Some things are just better off left alone.:thumbsup:
Well....If you are born and bred here...no problem!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The old movie "Deliverance" always comes to mind with a subject like this!!:censored:

Seems to be a little bit of that everywhere T.C.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread