The Future of Treasure hunters

Should we start a free metal detector program for trubbled kids.

• No way, Kids are lazy and reckless

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe, with adults help and control

• Sure, what can it harm.

• Yes, with adults what can it harm.

• Just give them to after school clubs

• Total voters

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

So I go down to my friends once in awhile to hunt. Found some great stuff. I also found several kids who live around town. They always come over and ask me of my finds. I happly entertain them and tell them of my stories. One kid who is never over with the other kids. Brings over a little yellow metal detector with a little square coil. He asks if he can excavate (with poor pronunciation)with me. This detector looks 60 years older than the kid using it. The thing can hardly pick up a quarter directly over it and touching the coil. :D The poor kid is using a stick for digging. The kid is going crazy, trying to smash the stick into the ground with his wrist ??? I felt really bad because I can't really afford to give him anything or buy him a shovel but may still. Anyway to end the story, my friend tells me and I am happy to here. Someone bought the kid a new metal detector the other day. Must of been his mom or dad. I still think he is using a screw driver to dig, so I may give him my old spade.

Funny story I thought you all would enjoy. "The future treasure hunters."

Keep @ it and HH!!

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Makes me think there are many more kids (and even adults) who want to metal detect but for financial reasons they can't. I wonder if we could figure out a way to put some detectors in the hands of kids who would truly appreciate them or in the hands of some adults who, for some reason or another, need to be outside walking around using a metal detector? I wonder if there is any interest from members of the forum in something like this?

I know that money is a concern for all on the forum. I also know that what I have for dinner won't depend on if I find 1 clad quarter or 5. Maybe we could all part with some of our really bad clad. The kind you are ashamed to take in. I just don't know how to get it all in one place. Mailing it makes little sense.

Maybe a forum member has to sponsor the request and provide a story. Much like the one in this thread. Maybe people could read the post and pledge something. If there is enough pledged, maybe an Ace 250 could be purchased. Maybe Tony would give us a special price just for these machines.

I don't know what could be done. I don't know if something should be done. I just know that it makes me feel good taking something that I have found and doing something good with it. I found a way to donate some of my "find" money to the lady who works with dogs where "Daisy the beach find was being stoned to death" lived. I would find a way to do the same to put a detector in the hands of a kids who would truly benefit from it. If we keep one kid off the streets and direct them into a hobby that teaches a lot about life, we have "done good."

Just some rambling thoughts.

Daryl

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Don't forget to help them with the basic rules of etiquete. That way they won't have a bad experience at an early age and give up ;)

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I would love to start a program for troubled teens or younger kids that need something to keep them off the streets and in parks and the woods. I think Coinstar or a Bank and Paypal is a good answer. Simply take your Clad to coinstar or your bank and put it in your paypal account. Send it to someone who can place the order of detectors. Then send them to kids or even to Centers that help troubled kids. I have a paypal account and will happly purchase some detectors for some kids, with some help. We will run a pole.

I will hook the kid up with a good spade soon...as long as his mom and dad agree. I think its safer than a screw driver. The kid definitely seem to have great spirit. I hope he finds a jar full of gold coins. I can tell him some things of etiquette but I am not his parents and its likely they need the lessons in etiquette not the kid. He seems very gentlemen like polite and kind.

Well thanks for the few replies on this strange post. I hope we can help some people. let me know how you feel about the professors proposal.

Keep @ it and HH!!

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please Pole and help maybe save some kids lives.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done some Show and Tells at elementary schools and the children are very interested in finding stuff. Doesn't matter what it is, it's all treasure. They've seen Indian Jones, and the pirate movies, National Treasure and for them it is something great.

I'm not sure if I am doing it for them or me. ::)

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
If you give detectors to kids you better be ready to supervise them for quite a while or you are going to find dug open holes everywhere and put a black eye on the hobby. Look at all the adults leaving holes in parks (and they should know better).

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
I think it would be better if a coin shooter/ water hunter that had or could come up with another M/D would take a young person or older for that matter, out with them on hunts and show them the ropes. Plus you could see how interested in the hobby they were? Would they loose interest quick and want to do something else? If they showed interest and would ask to go with you many time as you showed them the proper way to use a M/D. You could in time, sooner then later help them come up with a M/D. More like teacher and student.------- I think that would work better then just handing a kid a M/D that he may grow tired of in a few weeks and sell or trade off? There for what it's worth is my thought.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
IMHO, it would work best if a member of TN has to nominate a young person for this. It would be the member's responsibility to "take the kid under his wing" and show him the ropes. I think it would be best if the young person has to somehow "earn" the right to keep the detector. Sort of an apprenticeship period. Once that is over, the MD is theirs to keep but they have to prove to the member of TN that is sponsoring them that they know how to use the detector and respect the land they hunt on. They would also be required to join TN and report on their hunts.

I also think that if we are going to do this, we may to set a number of detectors to provide the first year. Maybe 10?? We could play it by ear and see how it goes. Or Maybe we award a detector whenever the PayPal account has the funds for one. If we only get enough money for one, we only award one. Just start with what we can do and expand if we can.

Daryl

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I don't think many of us will have the time or even want to take a kid under our wing and show them the ropes. If someone dose want to do it that way then join a mentor program. I think taking kids under our wing is a little over board. I still think giving them to some kind of after school program is the best idea. This way, the good deed is done and we don't have to be responsible for the actions of the kids. Whatever program they are in can take care of that, just my feelings about it.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread