OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Up until this point, I've put up with the douchebaggery of hanging upside from tree-limbs, and doing cartwheels, and screaming, nectar-civ-rev-sil-in the hole... with the only consolation being that the finds they showed seemed to be real.

Truth be told, I have actually had to watch the show with the remote in my hand, and change the channel when the lunatic business starts, and then change it back after.

But through all of that, at least they didn't "find" 20 dollar gold pieces and such every hunt. The finds seemed to match the context, and even the better finds seemed to be in keeping with what I'd call a normal hunt.

But if you're telling me they're finding 150 year old shiny nickels.... what else is left to watch?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And...

"Diggers TV Show Community Event

FREE Admission!

KG and Ringy will sign autographs and be available for photos.

Like this one?:headbang:
IMG_0419.JPG

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a few years those autographs will be like "who the hell are those guys"...

I will see one of those for 50 cents at the thrift store... or 1 dollar at a yard sale... heh.

OR...

People will scramble at auctions for em saying "OMG that blah and blah they were the first detectorists ever" "says so in my history book at school"

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee: I wonder if they will sign the inside and botton of my search coil cover (skid plate)!
That way, I will have something to show, when asked " did you find anything"!
And...

"Diggers TV Show Community Event

FREE Admission!

KG and Ringy will sign autographs and be available for photos.

Food and refreshments available for purchase.

Customized T-shirts will be available for purchase at Peshtigo Pharmacy or at the event.

There will be drawings for prizes.

The Diggers will be looking for artifacts from the Great Peshtigo Fire which occurred on October 8th 1871.

The show is aired on the National Geographic Channel."

The Diggers look for new artifacts from Great Peshtigo Fire on historic family homestead - Story | WEAREGREENBAY

Last edited:

golddigger65

Feb 2, 2010
Northern Calif
Detector(s) used
Gold bug/Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Tried watching a couple of shows but got tired of seeing the stupid antics and screaming to say nothing of the total BS of finding "great things" in every episode. Just not the way real life plays out IMHO.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the same thing when they showed that shiny nickel 3 cent pc. But I did see a guy dig one at a park in southern Oregon that was not brown or green like the buffalo's, v's or shield nickels that I have dug, it was dull gray in color.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they would just spend more time showing us the variety of finds that they dig rather than providing over the top theatrics on just a few pieces, it could be an interesting show. So far, I am finding this season really boring.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watch the show and even record it so I dont miss it. I dont doubt anyone on here. I take you for your word. Its all about having fun, and they sure do have fun. Now if there is some majick going on backstage, well gentlemen, you have been entertained. Enjoy the hobby and quit arguing about who's got the bigger detector or best permissions. It makes us all look bad.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a few years those autographs will be like "who the hell are those guys"... I will see one of those for 50 cents at the thrift store... or 1 dollar at a yard sale... heh.

Yup , reminds me of all the "valuable" Red Sox autographs I got in the 1980's. I stood in line for many hours to get the "rare" autographs of Sam Horn, Todd Benzinger, Mike Greenwell, Nick Esasky and other "legends" of the game. None of their autographs are worth jack squat now. Talk about a waste of time and money...

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those three cent pieces were minted in nickel and in silver...if the coin was cleaned for the camera that doesn't make it a fake find...people are just looking for an excuse to say the show is bad...best detecting show ever on the air and that's why its still on the air.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they would just spend more time showing us the variety of finds that they dig rather than providing over the top theatrics on just a few pieces, it could be an interesting show. So far, I am finding this season really boring.
They could do it the way you suggest and they would be like all the other detecting shows...canceled.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those three cent pieces were minted in nickel and in silver...if the coin was cleaned for the camera that doesn't make it a fake find...people are just looking for an excuse to say the show is bad...best detecting show ever on the air and that's why its still on the air.

These 3 cent Nickles

images.jpg

Were made of Nickle.

The fact is, it is where the Word Nickle came from. Their Content.

sorry ! I like the show, But I have never seen a dug nickle cleaned to look like the one above.
Yet that is what the one they "dug :tongue3:" the other night looked like to me :laughing7:.

In fact at first Glance I thought he dug a Shiny $5. gold Piece it looked so good.
I know it was the editors idea, but still it makes their other finds Suspect Now ,
& I hope they get canceled so they can thank Production.

Personally I think they owe the Detecting community an admission, explanation & apology
for that one, But I guess Contracts prevent that :(

or send me a sample of the stuff they clean 150 year old dug nickels with

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys Diggers is a TV show. Anything can be faked.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys Diggers is a TV show. Anything can be faked.

Sandman, although it is a TV show, it is suppose to be real.
and when it comes down to it's suggested purpose
it should not be faked.
it's like faking the news shows or saturday and sunday afternoon sports events.
yes it is done,
but no it should not be.
it is not Big Bang Theory or Defiance.
I hated the Rastler for lieing about his finds,
Diggers does not get a Pass from Me Either

Last edited:

thewatchers

Jan 31, 2010
Couch, M0
Detector(s) used
SharpShooter2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
3 cent nickel.JPG
I believe this is the coin in question for those of you who haven't caught the show yet.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1201050
I believe this is the coin in question for those of you who haven't caught the show yet.

:thumbsup: if that came out the ground like that, it was recently planted.
if it were silver , it would be right but

Composition
  • 75% copper
  • 25% nickel
same as all the u.s. Nickels.

(I don't know what Tumbling does to clean nickles , or
professional electrolysis, but I find that impossible to believe)

Last edited:
OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

True, three cent pieces were minted in nickel and silver in 1868 but the variety they showed was the nickel. I watch the show faithfully and I'm not looking for an excuse to say the show is bad. I am simply pointing out that what they demonstrated on the show wasn't likely true.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several years ago, someone posted a Buffalo nickel he'd (allegedly) dug; the pictures he posted were of a nickel that looked like it had just been minted, shiny and lustrous. Many, myself included, were skeptical; we all know that nickels just don't leave the ground like that. They tend to have either a dirty or reddish hue and just don't tend to shine after any length of time. The rules of Treasurenet were, at the time (maybe still), that finds presented by members were not to be challenged. The post I'm remembering created quite a bit of controversy and it may have eventually been withdrawn.

I'm not naive enough to believe everything I see on TV; I enjoy watching almost anything related to treasure hunting and "Diggers" is no exception. I don't personally get goosebumps every time I find a flat button, or do cartwheels with a nice find, but the show is entertaining and you have to admit they get some good opportunities. Last night the boys were in Wisconsin, searching for relics lost due to a terrible fire in 1871. King George got all happy when he pried what looked like a nice silver coin from the ground; it turned out to be an 1868 three cent piece. Original three centers are silver, and tiny; eventually they were replaced by larger nickel pieces. Unless something extraordinary happened to preserve the appearance of King George's three center, that was not a genuine find. Thoughts? I love awesome roundness as much as anyone but I have to question whether this was actually that.

It's funny you mentioned this because when I saw the condition of that 3-center, I was thinking the same thing. About 4 years ago, I found a 3-cent nickel in a farm field laying on the surface. At first glance I thought it was a clad dime. . . and yes, it had that rusty red color we all have come to hate.

One thing I also noticed was that during the majority of their "live" recoveries, the soil matrix had been significantly un-compacted so that with a nudge of a finger, the find was easily revealed while in the hole.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I haven't had a post draw this much attention for a long time; probably since I posted about melted gold I found after a wood burn. I'd love for Tim and George to show people what a dig is really like; they've added an archaeologist to add credibility to what they're doing (I suppose) so why not show that an old coin typically is packed into its soil. Show that copper often leaves an "aura" in the soil around it, and that coins leave an imprint. Why fake it when reality is better? Same episode Tim found an 1867 Indian head; why not show it in the clump? They'd have you believe that everything is found with a pinpointer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread