Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got it now...the silver and the nickel have different designs and the one they found was the design made from nickel...You cant clean a dug three cent nickel and have it look like the one they found?...if you cant, then they didn't dig it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got it now...the silver and the nickel have different designs and the one they found was the design made from nickel...You cant clean a dug three cent nickel and have it look like the one they found?...if you cant, then they didn't dig it.

I'd say, unless it was in oxygen free mud all this time.
for it to come out of the ground like that would be one in a million at best.

to clean it like that would probably be the same.

20/20 hindsight, I guess I should never say Never.
but it doesn't seem possible from my experience.
My Shield Nickels have better detail then My Liberty nickels.
but I can't even remember oxygen free Sweet arrow Lake mud being easy on the color
of dug buffalo's. when not Rust color, they were black.

again I have no problem with them cleaning & ID'ing finds before
they pretend to dig them on camera.
pulling something out and going "What The ?" on a tv show
and not having time to research it by the end means either
i.d.ing it for a future show,
or leaving things up in the air.
I like knowing when they dig them what they found.

But replacement is just wrong.

it would be like digging a crumpled CS plate with a bullet hole .

and showing them digging replica in mint condition they drilled a hole in

Last edited:

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havn't dug one yet, but the one's I see at auctions have a patinia that gives them a slight greenish look. The one pictured as dug, appears cleaned to the point it would lose it's value to a collector. Here's a pic of one I have in circulated condition. 100_1073 (800x600).jpg

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every thing you see on TV reality shows is not real...

Right on, Keppy, but I prefer to say that ANYTHING you see on a reality show is not real. They are all scripted, contrived, and faked. I'm very cynical about reality shows in general, but I'll be the first to offer that some are better than others, but in the end they all rot your brain. Its funny, because this thread reminds me of a conversation I had yesterday with my 18 year-old nephew, Spencer, who comes over and works with me once a week.

After discussing a particular television show he likes watching, there was a little silence and then he spoke up.

Spencer: "Uncle Jeff, do you think television shows were better back when you were a kid?"

Me: "Hah! I don't think that TV has ever been good for you. Television is simply a way to shape how we think. The more you watch it, the more you adopt what you see, and adapt your thinking processes to believe that what you see on television is how you should conduct your life."

I guess I should stop right here or I will find myself exploding this post into a page-long, ranting conspiracy-theory about TV. :BangHead:

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I posted this in the other diggers fake thread but, would like it here too.

"Remember all my fine friends, even though its reality TV, its still TV. They have to sell, sell, sell.
Now, how many NON treasure hunters out there would watch if they keep coming up "blank", and the advertisers know this.
I am not a big watcher of the show, I think its to theatrical, and sometimes I do question myself, is it helping our hobby, or hurting.
But, if you like it, good for you. Its entertainment."

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I posted this in the other diggers fake thread but, would like it here too.

"Remember all my fine friends, even though its reality TV, its still TV. They have to sell, sell, sell.
Now, how many NON treasure hunters out there would watch if they keep coming up "blank", and the advertisers know this.
I am not a big watcher of the show, I think its to theatrical, and sometimes I do question myself, is it helping our hobby, or hurting.
But, if you like it, good for you. Its entertainment."

Given the types of sites they detect, they should never come up "blank." The beauty of television is that you can edit the film. If a given hole yields nothing, then it doesn't make the show. If a site doesn't produce at least a few interesting finds then it doesn't have a show dedicated to it. They could ease up on the theatrics and pile on some more actual digging and they'd still have a compelling show.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a pic of the 1870 Nickel 3 cent piece I dug a week ago next to a silver 3 cent I dug in the same hole . Look a little different coming out of the ground don't they 100_0728.JPG 100_0730.JPG

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally have never pulled a shinny nickel out of the ground other than a fresh drop, but maybe it's me....I'm not capable of Hollywood magic!

I can understand the shows directors wanting the general public to be able to see and tell what the coin is, but the fact has to be told, especially if the show is being promoted as actual live treasure hunting & digging.

It's like an actual surgeon watching a supposed real surgery and trying to keep a straight face. Finally you turn it off and walk away.

Over the years I have been able to watch 1 or 2 complete American Digger Or Diggers Shows.
1 -Cause I'm green with Envy over the sties they get to hunt...( The best site is the one you Discovered) & 2- They just seemed too fake, Heck even my 'Could care less about relic/coin hunting Wife) Laughed at the Eagle Button that could have been lost by Gen, Lee. but ..I guess it "Could" have Been?

Besides

I'm not a real Relic Hunter, I only play one on TV.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those three cent pieces were minted in nickel and in silver...if the coin was cleaned for the camera that doesn't make it a fake find...people are just looking for an excuse to say the show is bad...best detecting show ever on the air and that's why its still on the air.

Heck Man..
I enjoyed that old "Lost Treasures 'Type show'" back in the 90's I think where I think it was in Wisconsin a bunch of Hunters went out looking for John Dillinger's Lost Suite case . I recall their finds (tho not Banner) were Pretty Cool IMO.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm so jealous of you 46Wheat!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I watched the show prior to this thread and, while watching I saw the nickel, I rewinded the show, paused, and yelled Bull----!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
last weeks shows looked legit enough.
I must say that was the only instance so far since the series started that
things looked that fishy. at least enough to complain about.

The Gold coin in the New Orleans yard was Suspect,
especially since they downplayed it's find.
(didn't scale the side of the house & jump off)
but not as Obvious as the Nickle

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would have thought a gold coin would deserve a backflip.

Me too !

But Honestly, When I found mine, it was like a Numbing Effect .
almost non-event.
not sure why :dontknow: I got more excited over,
and am more proud of an 1853 Seated Quarter

Picture 056.jpg Picture 051.jpg

Last edited:

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
you guys are pretty hard on fellow dectorist that you don.t know,liers and cheats I don,t think so!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you guys are pretty hard on fellow dectorist that you don.t know,liers and cheats I don,t think so!

If this includes me :tongue3: you couldn't be more wrong .
I have allot of respect for them.

I do not have the same respect for Producers & editors .

Yes if your Talking the Rastler, I do not consider him a fellow Detectorist or even a friend of
Detectorists, Relic hunters or Treasure hunters.

But when it comes to Ringy & KG I do have respect for them.
But will still call a Spade a spade when I see one :laughing7:

personally I wouldn't want to be them though , No matter what people think.
Being paid to Detect,
Having to turn in all my finds,
having an archie or camera over my Shoulder

Nope.

It would ruin the Experience for me.

I would like to hunt the spots they do, but not at the expense of my enjoyment
and loss of the chance to become wealthy from a surprise treasure.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread