Wearing a Silver Ring I found... Forgot how conductive these things are!

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm used to having my rings feel slightly cold to the touch. Silver is like it isn't even there. I brushed it up against my face, to see what was up, and the ring actually felt warm. Then I remembered that Silver is highly conductive (I like to show kids how fast ice melts on a silver coin... the reverse is true, too, those things will transfer heat fast!).

Kind of a fun thing to notice. Just thought I'd pass it along.

IMG_2573.JPG

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, and be careful where you put it!
My friend's mother found a quarter at the beach, had no where to keep it, so she tucked it in the top of her 2 piece bathing suit. Later that day when she got home she had a red burn mark under where the quarter was.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I was silver soldering a piece of copper when a blob fell on a gold ring on my hand. It went nuclear. Severe burn almost to the bone.

I knew an electrician who always wore a ring. I asked if that was a good idea. He said his wife was superstitious and didn't want him to ever take it off. I wondered if having him electrocuted would change all that.

In the Air Force, we were shown a picture of a finger with a ring. Told a guy slipped on a airplane wing and on his way down the ring got caught on something but he kept going.

Jewelry is problematic.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I was silver soldering a piece of copper when a blob fell on a gold ring on my hand. It went nuclear. Severe burn almost to the bone.

I knew an electrician who always wore a ring. I asked if that was a good idea. He said his wife was superstitious and didn't want him to ever take it off. I wondered if having him electrocuted would change all that.

In the Air Force, we were shown a picture of a finger with a ring. Told a guy slipped on a airplane wing and on his way down the ring got caught on something but he kept going.

Jewelry is problematic.

That reminds me, when I was in 9th grade, the Principal's ring finger was totally gone. I asked him about it. He was in B-17's and the Germans shot the airplane down. To bail out of a 17 you went out the bomb bay. His wedding band got hung up in the airplane, he got clear, the ring and finger went down with the aircraft.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in the late 1950s, a boy I went to school with, lived on a farm. He was in a trailer empting cotton sacks. The motorized cotton pickers were just beginning to catch on and his family paid for 'live' cotton pickers. When he was finished, he jumped over the side of the trailer. His class ring caught the edge of the trailer and tore his finger completely off where his finger joined his hand.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Hummmm.... got an old silver serving tray. I'll have to try that for defrosting chicken.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions