digging,plug popping methods

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to use a screwdriver to probe for the coin after pinpointing it. Most times you can just rotate the probe and get a finger under the coin. Deeper ones require other methods. Using any shovel is a NO-NO in grass at a park or lawn. Check out detector manufactures websites for pictures, etc. When your done you want to look back and not be able to tell you were there.

Attachments

• fillholes (WinCE).jpg
    fillholes (WinCE).jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 194
  • fillholes (Small).jpg
    fillholes (Small).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 211
  • fillholes (WinCE).jpg
    fillholes (WinCE).jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 193
  • fillholes (Small).jpg
    fillholes (Small).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 208

BobPA

Feb 18, 2007
Williamsport, Home of Little League Baseball
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
I recently purchased a Vibraprobe and have been trying to pop the coins out of the ground. It seems to help quite a bit with coins close to the surface (1-1 1/2"). The popping method saves a lot of time. I was wondering if anybody has used a Uniprobe? They say that they go up to 6 inches. If I could pinpoint that exact, I could pop more coins rather than cut plugs (I always use a knife instead of digging tool whenever I can).

Most posts that I read say you do not want a pinpointer that goes that deep, and I agree if you have already dug a hole. However if a uniprobe goes that deep, you could pinpoint the coin before you dig and maybe pop the coin.

Any input?
Bob

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried popping but lack the gene or something.

My usual method is to take time to pinpoint well. Then, depending on the soil and depth, I'll either make a "U" shaped flap 2" on each side with three trowel jabs and flip the sod over or else make a square hole with four jabs and lever the plug out. In either case if I need to dig more I tip the soil back in and then replace the plug. With my 7" trowel blade I can pull a 6" plug pretty quickly with little evidence afterwards.

If I try and do the whole blade depth it always opens the side where I lever from. Not a big problem, but it does make the hole obvious afterwards.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Popping goes way back when detectors didn't have the pinpointing capabilities that most units have today. Just get out and work with it for a period of time.

I also dealt with those people that said "Yes, as long as you don't dig any holes" I showed them what i used ( a long, thin screwdriver with the blade rounded over and smoothed) and how I used it. They had no problem with me detecting as long as I did it that way. In some places, your targets are between the surface and an inch under. Parks and playgrounds where fresh coin spills are the norm are perfect for popping, and in most cases, digging holes could just be a waste of your precious time.

I like digging deep plugs approx. 5" dia. where I am allowed. I like to start the hole with a ginsu steak knife, as it does minimal damage to the edges of the plug and the hole, and goes through roots like butter. The soil should be moist or wet. I don't like to dig plugs at all when the ground is dry. I use a gator digger in rougher ground, and a small round pointed garden shovel(5" wide blade with 3' handle) in the woods .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions