Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F22.
I wouldn't recommend either on a beach. Especially salt water.
Both are entry level machines. If you can, save yur coins over the winter and upgrade to at least an ATPro.
But again, I don't recommend the ATP for saltwater.
Ahhh, so many detectors, so little time. ;)
GL
Peace ✌

cavdetect

Feb 18, 2013
Mt. Laurel, NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never tried the F22, but I love my Ace 250. Found it works great at the beach and in the fields. Hope that's helpful.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you are gonna be happy with either.they both work well on the dry sand at the beach and everywhere pretty much inland.I recommend watching some youyube videos on each.the f22 replaces the f2 which has become a legendary intro machine.quite capable(my wife used one,it was great little machine)
the 2fiddy is without a doubt the biggest selling intro/intermediate machine in the world...they work.

prolly comes down to the deal you can get and the sound you like the most(you are going to hear it alot)performance is a draw

:occasion14:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
F22 ... it is weatherproof...you can use it in the rain..

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both are entry level machines.

I own an Ace 250 with the DD coil. My "entry level" machine has netted me half reales from the 1700's, KG coppers, large cents, colonial shoe buckles, dozens of buttons from the 1700's and early 1800's, musket balls and many other great finds. Don't let the snobs here convince you that you need to spend $600 or more on a machine to compete with the big boys. Skill will trump an expensive machine every time. Learn your machine and you will be making the snobs here look foolish.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more note. ALL of the finds I mentioned above were found on public land that has been detected to death for the last 40 years. Funny how all those expensive machines miss so much stuff!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
strongly urge you to look at the teknetics delta 4000 --$279 ( +67 bucks) a bit more but well worth the difference ...it has a 0 to 99 numbers display ..vs the 12 block display of the ace 250 .. F2 type machines ... its a small but highly important difference since the "block machines" put similar electrical conductivity items in the same "block"..ie pulltabs, nickles and some gold items ..so to get the nickles and gold items your forced to dig it all ...including buttloads of pulltabs --thus wasting a lot of valuable time and digging lots of trash .... however being the delta 4000 has 99 slots into sort out what its found rather than a mere 12 blocks (thus 8 times more sorting ability ) it can split up the nickles at say 58 --the bulk of pulltabs at 60 and gold at 58 for 10k , 64 for 14 and 68 for 18k ...so dig 58 , 64 and 68 --ignore 60 and you will still get all but the gold items that ring up as 60 and if you want you can dig those too if the area you in is not loaded with trashy pulltabs --I have personally used the ace 250 and basically the F2 is just a similar type of machine by fisher ---the delta 4000 for a bit more cash is a much better machine and is more --up to date tech wize

I will say if you are a "dig it all" type that digs every signal to never miss anything than either machine the Ace 250 or F2 can do you well --even though listed as entry level in skilled hands of a dig it all type person --they can find good stuff just like much more costly machines can ---however if you would like to dig a lot less trash and still get oh say 95% of the gold items --then do yourself a huge favor and spend a few bucks more and get a delta 4000 -- like I say I've used both and to me the delta 4000 wins hands down...

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own an Ace 250 with the DD coil. My "entry level" machine has netted me half reales from the 1700's, KG coppers, large cents, colonial shoe buckles, dozens of buttons from the 1700's and early 1800's, musket balls and many other great finds. Don't let the snobs here convince you that you need to spend $600 or more on a machine to compete with the big boys. Skill will trump an expensive machine every time. Learn your machine and you will be making the snobs here look foolish.

tim,
sorry if I offended(assuming you meant me as well)both manufactures have labled them as entry/intermediate machines.this is not to say they arent VERY capable.they are.the dd upgrade on your 2fifty is a potenet upgrade,we did the same on our f2.
Agreed that its all about the skill of the operator,I've seen my wife blow us out of the water on hunts with her f2.we were swinging atp and etrac.
I am a fan of both of the machines being discussed.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
tim are you a "dig it all type" person ?...if so you will find once in awhile find things that ring up in the pulltab range that many others with higher dollar machines willingly pass up ... I myself am a "selective hunter" and will pass on a 60 signal --- because 999 to 1 its a "pulltab" frankly I don't want t dig 1.000 holes for 999 pulltabs to get 1 ring ..I much rather focus the time that I would spend digging those 1,000 holes on digging beter signals ....like 58 (nickles / 10 K gold )-- 64 - 14 K and 68- 18K with a much higher Possible good item recovery rate

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One more note. ALL of the finds I mentioned above were found on public land that has been detected to death for the last 40 years. Funny how all those expensive machines miss so much stuff!

If you only knew... :)

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tim are you a "dig it all type" person ?...if so you will find once in awhile find things that ring up in the pulltab range that many others with higher dollar machines willingly pass up ... I myself am a "selective hunter" and will pass on a 60 signal --- because 999 to 1 its a "pulltab" frankly I don't want t dig 1.000 holes for 999 pulltabs to get 1 ring ..I much rather focus the time that I would spend digging those 1,000 holes on digging beter signals ....like 58 (nickles / 10 K gold )-- 64 - 14 K and 68- 18K with a much higher Possible good item recovery rate

Ya... with my machines I can tell a pull tab and zinc penny's 99.9% of the time and only dig quality targets (tabs)11/16-17-18-19... I can also tell a zinc penny (11/12-37) from an older copper coin too. I am leaving those to the people that want to dig them...
Gary from Oregon..

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally, finally!!! After all these years, I've been labeled a "snob".
Folks, it's taken hard work, fortitude, endurance, intensive research and a bit of luck to reach this status.
Well worth it. ;)
Peace ✌

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tim,
sorry if I offended(assuming you meant me as well)both manufactures have labled them as entry/intermediate machines.this is not to say they arent VERY capable.they are.the dd upgrade on your 2fifty is a potenet upgrade,we did the same on our f2.
Agreed that its all about the skill of the operator,I've seen my wife blow us out of the water on hunts with her f2.we were swinging atp and etrac.
I am a fan of both of the machines being discussed.

Your correct they are labeled and considered entry level and intermediate detectors by manufacturers and dealers. There is not insult implied.

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally, finally!!! After all these years, I've been labeled a "snob".
Folks, it's taken hard work, fortitude, endurance, intensive research and a bit of luck to reach this status.
Well worth it.

I just hate to see someone come here discussing their "entry level" machine and told it's junk and they need to upgrade. A positive approach is much better than the negative posts some here feel the need to post ad nauseam.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread