I made the worst decision today! Can collecting be a sickness?

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
400 pounds? I'll bet that made for some spirited conversation around the dinner table. :cussing:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I paided 91$ for it but I can't sell it on eBay cause it ways 400 pounds so with all the shipping confusion I wanted to sell it locally but I got it pretty cheap I would love more info on it

This scale weighting 400 lbs. is ABSOLUTELY going to limit you to advertising locally. Darn guy... I wish ya best. So what are you seeing this scale selling for? I sincerely hope you can get your $91.00 to $100.00 back buddy.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool scale!!!! Kinda a lot to ship I bet!

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
This scale weighting 400 lbs. is ABSOLUTELY going to limit you to advertising locally. Darn guy... I wish ya best. So what are you seeing this scale selling for? I sincerely hope you can get your $91.00 to $100.00 back buddy.

Well I am doing research for the next week or two. I posted this in general discussion, what's it worth, and later today I will post it in what is it. Yes it's gonna be very hard to sell but similar sized Toledo scales are going for several hundred I just want to know more about it like the number made value but I didn't and no one here found the exact model. Literally ANY INFO I WILL THANK YOU FOREVER what I really need is rarity collectibility and value especially value I will take any information on the Toledo Model 571By Scale please help thanks guys

Jolteon

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe it is a butcher's scale - if that helps.

A $91 lesson that things are only worth what you can sell them for, and that actions have consequences.

Ebay has made a racket out of that weakness: that people can be convinced they have "won" when in reality they have just paid more than anyone else aware of the item thought it was worth.

At least you can cross one item off your Christmas gift buying list. Uncle Bob can weigh his steaks with precision.

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
O i already knew that but a family friend stopped over and he showed a trick on these scales where the butcher would put his thumb on the scale and push so it ways more so he gets more money he thought it was cool and I don't know if he was joking but he offered two hundred and his wife came up and said no so I thought that was interesting that the trick they used to do and what he pretended to or seriously offered two hundred so idk but yeah it is a butchers scale

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
One tale was told of money being found in a scale and who ever was working was suspect.
Sorry to who ever told it and I don't recall who.

Joelton you could try these people for info.
There are others who work on them too.

TOLEDO Scales - METTLER TOLEDO

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
weigh0{image1}.gif

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey buddy.... Maybe these folks can help you out. Maybe you could call them and they'd share some info with you.... you got nothing to lose.

WELCOME TO THE WARD M. CANADAY CENTER FOR SPECIAL COLLECTIONS
CANADAY CENTER GENERAL INFORMATION:
The Ward M. Canaday Center, located on the fifth floor of the William S. Carlson Library, houses William S. Carlson Library's special collections, rare book collection, and University Archives in a secure and climate-controlled environment. Construction of the Center, which opened in 1979, was made possible by a gift from Mrs. Doreen Canaday Spitzer, the daughter of Ward M. Canaday.
Contact number: 419-530-4480

Title: The Toledo Scale Collection
Repository: Ward M. Canaday Center for Special Collections, The University of Toledo
The University of Toledo - Welcome to the Ward M. Canaday Center for Special Collections

Creator: Maumee Valley Historical Society
Dates: 1900-1980
Quantity: 62.75 linear feet
Abstract: Manufacturer of world famous scales known for accuracy and the company slogan: "No Springs, Honest Weight." This collection is composed primarily of photographs of scales, factories, employees, and places of business, but also contains manuals, correspondence, financial material, information on competitors, publicity, labeling transfers, patents, awards, and audiovisual material.
Identification: MSS-153
Location: Collection is housed at the M. Ward Canaday Center for Special Collection, Vault location 66/C/2
Language: The records are in English

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say collecting is a sickness .. I have never been a collector and will never be one ...... And after watching a few of the hoarding shows on TV i am glad i never got into collecting .. I never could figure out what the thrill of having a item put up or away and look at now and then is ... Myself if i find something that i know someone will buy it goes in the shed out back until i get my money then i am rid of it..If it is something no one will buy it goes to a thrift store or into a scrap pile.... But then i am what my wife call's a neat freak..

I wish that I could say the same, I,m a good bit Hoarder & the rest Perfectionist = Witch makes for a big Personal Mess. LOL

Good to see you back on jolteon ! If that's the worst decision you've made , no worries mate !!! I want you to get back out and
locate another cache .

Oh so True.
Yawn!!! Back when I was 15 My $91 Dollars Would have likely been spent on , A new Iron Maiden Poster, A pair of "Vans" Sneakers , A liter of Jack Daniels , A pack or 2 of Marlboro Lights, & the rest on a 1 Finger Quarter Bag of smoke..

That said "we live & we learn" Imo you must not be a real Hoarder Cause you want to sell it.
Maybe you just have an "Impulse" issue.

For real tho , I know it would be hard but if you find it's only worth $100 bucks or so & it's Mostly Brass & Copper Scraping might be a good idea ,(tho imo that would Dishonor the 100 year old Piece).
You will fig, it out.
Also be glad in around 30 years you won't have 1,000 's of Baseball Cards Worth MUCH LESS now than I paid for them back then. HEADBANG.......
D-VERS

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
I will it later definitely for sure but I will be honest if I could I would keep it it is pretty cool but I understand why I can't but I'll call later today I got nothing to loose

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will it later definitely for sure but I will be honest if I could I would keep it it is pretty cool but I understand why I can't but I'll call later today I got nothing to loose

Well let me know what you find out jolteon.... I hope you learn something more about your scale....?

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Ok I called both numbers the company of Toledo said they have no records on a thing pre 70 now the university said they had a few documents and will send them to me by Thursday thank you limittool for the number

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok I called both numbers the company of Toledo said they have no records on a thing pre 70 now the university said they had a few documents and will send them to me by Thursday thank you limittool for the number

Now... I admit I am NOT a Google expert first. But I have tried and tried to find this same scale also. It is something called a "barrel scale". I think model #'s can/could be replaced with "style #'s.....". But I have NOT been able to find jolteon's exact scale myself either. I hope whatever info they send will help.

Now... I did find many other barrel scales from 1900 - 1910. And all sold for much more than the $91.00 you paid. Some / many were in the 4 digit figures. You may have a "winner" jolteon.

If anyone has any more knowledge in how to find young man's scale he bought please take a minute and see what you can find.

jolteon... please post a clearer close up of the model and the tags info. Thanks... Brad

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
1. It is a very cool piece. Anyone who collects antiques would be interested in owning it. The only thing that holds it back is obviously the fact that it is a bulky item.
2. Not sure why everyone is so concerned about "learning more about it". It is pretty obviously an antique brass scale. It would have been used in a store to measure bulk goods or meats in a butcher shop. We already know the manufacturer and model number and its age. What else is there to know?
3. As far as value is concerned, it could probably be sold for between $150-$250. It is a little hard to determine condition from your crappy pics, but it looks to be fairly nice.
4. My opinion is to keep it, as you got a fairly good deal on it at $91. Sure it is heavy, but its not really that big, is it?
5. How do you know it weighs 400 lbs? I find that very hard to believe. My guess would be closer to 150-200 lbs.

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
1. It is a very cool piece. Anyone who collects antiques would be interested in owning it. The only thing that holds it back is obviously the fact that it is a bulky item.
2. Not sure why everyone is so concerned about "learning more about it". It is pretty obviously an antique brass scale. It would have been used in a store to measure bulk goods or meats in a butcher shop. We already know the manufacturer and model number and its age. What else is there to know?
3. As far as value is concerned, it could probably be sold for between $150-$250. It is a little hard to determine condition from your crappy pics, but it looks to be fairly nice.
4. My opinion is to keep it, as you got a fairly good deal on it at $91. Sure it is heavy, but its not really that big, is it?
5. How do you know it weighs 400 lbs? I find that very hard to believe. My guess would be closer to 150-200 lbs.

1. We want to learn more about like mintage and rarity cause it has to out of my house as soon as possible

2. It ways way over 200 pounds I cannot even lift it of the ground not 1 inch.

3. I took pics with my phone and they are not crappy it was the best I could do in 1 minute of time.

4. It might be worth than 250

5. We're still gonna try to learn more about it so I think it's worth more and I think my pictures are not crappy and if you think so don't look at them then k

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
1. We want to learn more about like mintage and rarity cause it has to out of my house as soon as possible

2. It ways way over 200 pounds I cannot even lift it of the ground not 1 inch.

3. I took pics with my phone and they are not crappy it was the best I could do in 1 minute of time.

4. It might be worth than 250

5. We're still gonna try to learn more about it so I think it's worth more and I think my pictures are not crappy and if you think so don't look at them then k

Look, I'm not gonna argue with some 15 year old. Good luck, kid.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions