I made the worst decision today! Can collecting be a sickness?

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1. It is a very cool piece. Anyone who collects antiques would be interested in owning it. The only thing that holds it back is obviously the fact that it is a bulky item.
2. Not sure why everyone is so concerned about "learning more about it". It is pretty obviously an antique brass scale. It would have been used in a store to measure bulk goods or meats in a butcher shop. We already know the manufacturer and model number and its age. What else is there to know?
3. As far as value is concerned, it could probably be sold for between $150-$250. It is a little hard to determine condition from your crappy pics, but it looks to be fairly nice.
4. My opinion is to keep it, as you got a fairly good deal on it at $91. Sure it is heavy, but its not really that big, is it?
5. How do you know it weighs 400 lbs? I find that very hard to believe. My guess would be closer to 150-200 lbs.

1. A. Agreed. B. Agreed. C. Agreed
2. Hell yea we know what it "is" and what it was used for... pretty obvious. He needs to "learn" more concerning how rare or what its proper value is. Let's see you find it... Can't wait to see post.
3. How did you come up with that value....? Based on what? And bite your tongue on the "crappy pics" comment. The 15 y/o did his best @ the moment.
4. Again... How did you rationalize if $91.00 is a "good deal"? That's what HE"D like to find out himself.
5. Maybe it actually "weighs" up to 400 lbs. Not it's actual bulk weight.

You ought to go back to bed and try again.... Try to get up on the RIGHT side of the bed.... Not the left!!!!!

Did you ever even read the thread to learn WHY he's inquiring...?

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look, I'm not gonna argue with some 15 year old. Good luck, kid.

Try me then 15 x 4 ='s 60.... "I'm your huckleberry"

jolteon.... You did just fine. You weren't to harsh. I'll try and look around some more today for ya... Have a good day guy.

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
1. A. Agreed. B. Agreed. C. Agreed
2. Hell yea we know what it "is" and what it was used for... pretty obvious. He needs to "learn" more concerning how rare or what its proper value is. Let's see you find it... Can't wait to see post.
3. How did you come up with that value....? Based on what? And bite your tongue on the "crappy pics" comment. The 15 y/o did his best @ the moment.
4. Again... How did you rationalize if $91.00 is a "good deal"? That's what HE"D like to find out himself.
5. Maybe it actually "weighs" up to 400 lbs. Not it's actual bulk weight.

You ought to go back to bed and try again.... Try to get up on the RIGHT side of the bed.... Not the left!!!!!

Did you ever even read the thread to learn WHY he's inquiring...?

2. Again, what more is there to know. It is what it is. Based on my research, it appears scales gain value based on condition and subject matter (use). This one is fairly plain and utilitarian. I do not think it is rare or special based on context alone.
3. Same way I come up with any value. Look at auction results (actual sold prices) for similar scales. The scales that sold for big bucks were either restored or in MINT condition. The more expensive scales had features such as flashy graphics or pin-striping (for candy, etc).
3b. No, I will not bite my tongue. The kid doesn't need to be a professional or anything but come on... The pics do not even show the entire back or sides of the scale and they are very dark. Hard to be precise with such limited information.
4. HE BOUGHT IT, so he obviously thought he got a good deal and I agree. This is a matter of opinion, thus Ill not argue this point.
5. No, he clearly states it weighs at least 300 pounds and then states it weighs 400 pounds (because he cant carry or ship it). Unless it is made out of solid lead, there is simply no way something of that size could weigh 400 pounds.

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
2. Again, what more is there to know. It is what it is. Based on my research, it appears scales gain value based on condition and subject matter (use). This one is fairly plain and utilitarian. I do not think it is rare or special based on context alone.
3. Same way I come up with any value. Look at auction results (actual sold prices) for similar scales. The scales that sold for big bucks were either restored or in MINT condition. The more expensive scales had features such as flashy graphics or pin-striping (for candy, etc).
3b. No, I will not bite my tongue. The kid doesn't need to be a professional or anything but come on... The pics do not even show the entire back or sides of the scale and they are very dark. Hard to be precise with such limited information.
4. HE BOUGHT IT, so he obviously thought he got a good deal and I agree. This is a matter of opinion, thus Ill not argue this point.
5. No, he clearly states it weighs at least 300 pounds and then states it weighs 400 pounds (because he cant carry or ship it). Unless it is made out of solid lead, there is simply no way something of that size could weigh 400 pounds.

If you do not mind Stay off this topic and if you come back I will report you. Stay off this thread your opinion is not needed for my scale. Good day to you

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Glad that's over but back to the topic I will Be able today to go to my other property were my scale is located I'll post better pictures later tonight and more of the back and sides. And if any my documents from the university of Toledo should come today! So we will know a lot of will no nothing. Keeping my fingers crossed!

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jolteon.. i was like you as well about 10-12 years ago... i now own my own buy sell trade store. The main rule i have is....there is always another one. Especially when the money isnt there. Ive ran a few auctions myself as well. Its not a sickness its a choice. For instance i saw a gentleman bid on a 3.99 machete from harbor frieght that was used at one auction. he ended up paying almost 30 dollars. impulse buys hurt they dont help and the last people you want to tick off are ur parents. im almost 30 years old now and it took me quite sometime to learn this. hopefully after hearing this you will understand and know...there is always another one...

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
When looking at scales the other day trying to find a match, many meat scales had porcelain trays, multi use had a scoop shaped accessory also, and a postal tray on some was glass. Maybe multi function was a selling point?
The increments on the display might help tell if it had a postal application, but seems a rather large scale just to be postal.
Probably before the scales time though, as with a great grandfathers general store, a post office was part of some stores.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read thread real fast, so maybe someone already mentioned this! I've been in these positions before for all different reasons. Your quickest way might be to take it back to an auction house. Sometimes it will go higher than you paid for it! Sometimes lower.:laughing7: You will have to pay the percentage to the auctioneer, but gone fast and you pick up your check! Sometimes more than you paid, if lucky! it's a gamble! Guys use to(or maybe still do) buy from one auction in one area and send to an auction in another area, before the net! Those were the original, real pickers!!:laughing7: They knew where and when to get the most!

To give you some examples of my screw ups, Uhhhh.........., I mean cost of learning! I learned some expensive lessons!:laughing7: I bought 4000 plus, old clay edison diamond disk records, and the thinner 78's, when I was about 19. I was at an auction 2 states away. I paid something like 400 bucks. At that time it was a steal!!! Until I had to move and store them! Which I wasn't thinking about at the auction. It took us multiple trips and gas with a full size truck, then I lived in a small apartment and had to store them in a storage garage. Many were ruined by moisture, and dampness from storage garage, broken from moving. By the time I was done I sold them for next to nothing, compared to the cost of storage, the damage, moving them etc..... :laughing7:

I can go on on and on.....:laughing7: I've done it with safes,equipment,jukebox's,pinball machines, you name it! You think you will learn? Naaaaa It just gets better! Especially once you make money on a few things, then the "disease" really sets in!!!:laughing7: Hope you learn quicker than I did! But, odds are? You'll do it again! It's part of the fun and the hobby! It's a rush just like gambling or drinking is to other people! There are a lot worse things you could have done! You never know, unless you take chances!! Some you win big! Some you lose even bigger!:laughing7:

Another off the wall idea! See if you can find out who buys for cracker barrel! Maybe you could sell it to them? They have all kinds of stuff like that on display and for sale in their stores! Might be worth a shot! Head to the closest one and start asking questions! You never know what it might lead to in the future too!

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guy... I found an EXPERT. I'll PM you his email and personal phone # in a minute. I didn't tell him I was contacting him in "your" behalf but please be patient with him. He's around 80, built these scales for over 30 yrs. and now restores them. His buddy & partner did restoring old Toledo Scales together and now his buddy has passed. He called me today and sent me an email also trying to help. I was busy lying some railroad ties around my new workshop and missed his call. Check your PM ASAP.... Best wishes, Brad

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

"Did you ever even read the thread to learn WHY he's inquiring...?" .... I asked.

"This is a matter of opinion, thus Ill not argue this point." .... Good! (learn some new verbs when addressing young members here).... Glad you'll NOT argue this point.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DID SOME ONE SAY HOARDER WHO WANTS TO SEE ME. IT WILL ALL WORK OUT YOUNG MAN AND FOR THE OLE TOLEDO SCALE I SAY IS NOT A BAD BUY AT ALL . YOU LIVE AND LEARN FROM ONES MISTAKES FOR MYSELF I AM STILL LEARNING AND IM IN MY 50TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Did you ever even read the thread to learn WHY he's inquiring...?" .... I asked.

"This is a matter of opinion, thus Ill not argue this point." .... Good! (learn some new verbs when addressing young members here).... Glad you'll NOT argue this point.

:laughing7: Interesting! Probably someone who would complain/cry about shipping cost after the item was bid on and bought? and wanted sympathy and a hug because they overlooked shipping cost while bidding?:laughing7:

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Thank you limittool I just emailed the guy but I took some more pictures and guess what I never looked on the back of the scale(thank you whoever told me to do so) look what I found!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1440719683.934036.jpg
Close up of the honest wait scale reader
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1440719745.486222.jpg
And here is a better serial number plate
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1440719797.926104.jpg
Thanks again limittool for the expert and we will see what happens and I'll post some more pictures tomorrow. Thanks guys

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you limittool I just emailed the guy but I took some more pictures and guess what I never looked on the back of the scale(thank you whoever told me to do so) look what I found!
View attachment 1204616
Close up of the honest wait scale reader
View attachment 1204617
And here is a better serial number plate
View attachment 1204618
Thanks again limittool for the expert and we will see what happens and I'll post some more pictures tomorrow. Thanks guys

Your welcome buddy.... Hope this Ol' Expert can help ya out or send you somewhere else for more info. I hope your $91.00 investment starts out around $250.00+. But don't be disappointed if it doesn't.... Your fault!

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Hey guys I took 30 pictures but that takes a really long time to post on tnet so here is a slideshow link
https://youtu.be/jtYdLA-TFS4

Sorry for the poor filming it was a 1 minute walk out the door kind of thing

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
3. It is a little hard to determine condition from your crappy pics, but it looks to be fairly nice.

I guess everybody has posted a picture or two that haven't turned out great, one shouldn't point too loud at such small things.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coins/208016-roman-coin.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...finds-past-2-months-updated-resized-pics.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garage-sale-finds/209894-peace-dollar-medallion.html

We could go on and on but what's the point.

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
I am currently communicating with them man but he knows so far that it was made in 1921 because of the serial number

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am currently communicating with them man but he knows so far that it was made in 1921 because of the serial number

Good thus far.... Let's hope this scale is a "prototype" or maybe a low production number of scales produced... AND SOME scale collector needs to fill a "gap".... Probably not but let's hang onto this hope!

jolteon... Is this the elderly man in Ohio who gave you this info?

Just curious.... Brad

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread