Ring found, not sure what to think though.

hotrod53

Dec 20, 2008
south of Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Jetco Coinmaster, Jetco Huntmaster, Whites 5000-D, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Cutlass II, Minelab 705 Gold, 6" Coiltek Digger coil, currently Minelab Etrac, RNB battery pack, and a Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I have an unusual story and I’m still not sure what to think about it.

I was detecting with my brother Mapper65, and my brother-in-law yesterday. My brother-in-law is used to knocking and asking permission so he offered up and went a knocking. We stopped at an old homestead and he knocked to ask for permission to detect, the owner was not home. Being the tight knit county community that this was, the neighbor quickly came over to see what was going on. Jumping forward, we started detecting the neighbor’s yard. Soon the original homeowner came home and he came over to us, he told us that it was his father's home and he wouldn’t mind if we detected it, he said “my dad will probably talk your ear off”, little did we know that was an understatement!

The son called the father who also had a cheap detector and he ended coming right home and eventually got out his detector and detected with us! The homestead was dated 1807 and he had supposedly found a cache of Morgan dollars and found about “1000 Indian Heads” lol. Jump ahead again, I find a gold plated ring right out front of the front door. We had been detecting about 3 hours at this point and hadn’t found a whole lot. Kind of as a joke, I took this plated ring over to the gentlemen and said “I have a souvenir for you”, I dropped it in his hand and said “here, this is for you”. This is where the story gets good, weird, strange, or I don’t know what.

Here I am thinking that I found a costume ring that was gold plated, when all of a sudden the owner tears up and says “oh my God, you found my wife’s wedding ring”! He then proceeds to tell the story that his wife, after 2 months of marriage, got into an argument with another family member right in the spot where I found the ring. She was flailing her arms around and the ring flew off! Now I am left to wonder if he just thinks that this really is her ring, or if he really did purchase a cheap gold plated ring as a wedding ring, but he is sure that this is it. Mapper65 is looking at me surprised that I’m so willingly giving this ring up, he asks to see it and as the owner hands it to him he realizes that it’s just a cheap plated ring. He gives me a look and realizes what is going on. We’re all kind of snickering to ourselves, but it just keeps going on, he is convinced that this is the ring. Now this is a backwoods area with great country folk, it really could be the ring that he is convinced that it is, at least I truly hope that it is.

A few minutes later he comes out of the house with a homemade knife, he had made not only the blade, but the handle too. He walks over to me with misty eyes and says “one good deed deserves another, I made this knife and I want you to have it”! I’m stunned at this point, I handed over what I thought was a cheap ring, and he is all about it. I’ll bet that this guy shook my hand and thanked me 20 times that day. His wife is in a nursing home with Alzheimer's, he said that he never though that something like this would ever happen to him and all of those good memories would come back. He eventually had to leave the home and left us there alone detecting. As he left the driveway, he was on his cell phone calling someone. I heard him on the phone telling the story of how I found his wife's ring and gave it back to him.

We got an open invitation to come back any time, and an offer to take us to some local good spots that he knows having lived there for . I’m still not sure what to think about this, to me the ring was worthless, I’m just hoping that he is not mistaken and he really did buy a cheap ring.

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
likely he knows exactly the ring he gave her.many folks when confronted with the need for a ring but not the means to get one will simply get a pretty plated one with the intentions of having a custom made to replace it.but alas...after she falls in love with"this ring"it never happens.
as a recovery member of"theringfinders.com"I have been told this story twice.I'm sure its more common than you may think.

At this point it doesnt even matter....you made someone very happy and that is what counts.I tip my hat to you sir !!!

:occasion14:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take it for what its worth.....He is thrilled, you got an open ended permission, and then some. You win, he wins... run with it!

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You made that gentleman's day, week, month and maybe year. Doesn't matter what he paid for it, to him it was priceless. Good on ya and good karma has already come your way.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With regard to a wedding ring , if you are able to see metals for what they are (just metal ) the only value they have is an agreed upon
value . So when a ring is used to symbolize a committed marital covenant between Man and Wife ,it hardly matters if the material is
copper , silver , gold , plastic - etc. Hey sounds to me like you really had genuine response from this guy - everybody's happy !

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
What a great story. It will be memorable for everyone!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Cheap ring,expensive ring,who gives a crap.You gave him back something priceless that cant be bought.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Think about what it means if that ring brings up at least one tiny memory that she can remember and share with her husband. Alzheimer's sucks bad! My aunt has it, my uncle tries everything to get her to remember something, including his name.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
red james....two things...first I for one missed ya...second...well said

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
likely he knows exactly the ring he gave her.many folks when confronted with the need for a ring but not the means to get one will simply get a pretty plated one with the intentions of having a custom made to replace it.but alas...after she falls in love with"this ring"it never happens.
as a recovery member of"theringfinders.com"I have been told this story twice.I'm sure its more common than you may think.

At this point it doesnt even matter....you made someone very happy and that is what counts.I tip my hat to you sir !!!

Very well said. I also tip my hat, you sir were definitely in the right place at the right time..... This one you won't forget, God bless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread