cleaning coins...

flashyace

Sep 26, 2013
southern Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
I have been hunting with various degrees of success the past 2 days, but today being the busiest 1 hour in hunting I have had, i found $1.30 in coins before my daughter was ready to go, I guess she got bored of digging up all those coins. Anyway I was wondering what is the best way to clean coins that have just came out of the ground, I know there are a few different ways but I wanted to get an idea of how other people clean their coins.
2-.25
5-.10
8-.5
10-.o1
nothing of age all newer

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All my non-silver coins get thrown into a pot. when they start to overfill, I sort and tumble them in a rotary rock tumble with a wee bit of Dawn. Clean enough to roll, clean enough to turn in.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
001.jpg Try this one Higgy & flashyace!!

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fastest way to clean coins to make them spendable (this is NOT recommended for coins you are trying to clean up for display... this just gets them "coin looking" again):

1) Separate pennies from all silver looking coins. At the end of this, you have two piles, 1) Nickels, Dimes, Quarters; 2) Pennies
2) Put all of one of the piles into a jar, or jug.
3) Put enough white vinegar into the jar or jug to barely cover the coins
4) Pour a few tablespoons of salt into the mixture (this is for 1/2 mason jar... if you're doing only a few coins, a teaspoon of salt should be fine).
5) Shake for 30 seconds to 90 seconds, or until coins are clean (will depend on how crusty they are).
6) Rinse off coins
7) Dry coins, or let air dry
8) Repeat steps 2-7 for the second pile

DO NOT mix pennies with your silver looking coins. If you do, your silver will have a pink color to them (just like putting red shirt into a white load of laundry!)

This is fast, cheap, easy, and if you do it in a clear mason jar, you get to watch the process (which is fun for kids).

Cheers,

Skippy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread