Do all dredge snipes leak water out the nozzle?

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I notices that these things when you lift them out of the water tend to drain out the nozzle. I seen some videos on youtube and I tried making one. I had the plunger seal so tight it was had to pull and push but water still came out. Im curious because with a surrenge filled with water it doesnt leak. Is it because the size of the nozzle that allows it to leak?

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe so kitt. I have used a couple and they all leaked when bringing them out as well. The suction end of the snipe is X radius to allow the sand/pebbles/gold to enter. Once that water seal is broken and the vaccum decreased the air is allowed in gravity takes over and the water will flow downwards and out of the nozzle end.

It's like holding your finger on the end of a straw with soda in it.....we all did it as kids. As soon as you lift your finger off the liquid comes out. In this case however the nozzle end and straw itself is so much bigger that the finger on the back (the pull rod) just does not have the capability to keep it all in. The water slide out and air travel up into it cause the spillage.

Only remedy I know of is to not complete the rod pull to 100% until it is out of the water. Leave a few inches for that last pull and you can tilt it level then and avoid it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread