Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
There are a couple ways that I know of both require acid test solution. Probably the best of the two is to use a scratch stone and 18k test solution. Make sure a good mark is on the stone, apply solution and it should turn super light blue if it is silver. The other method uses the dark "silver" solution. Problem is, unless you are not concerned with the item being tested, it will leave a spot where the acid touches the item. The scratch stone doesn't work to well with this solution unless you are able to shave a small portion of the test object off and then place it on the stone. Otherwise, the darker silver solution should turn to a blood red color if it is silver, and if it is not then it usually turns green/blue. Keep in mind that plated items like quadruple plate can have a thick coating of silver. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

AndrewCampbell

Greenie
Jul 20, 2015
NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think metals are generally harder to test at home with normal solutions and household items because of the nature of the substance, but I'm pretty sure you can probably buy a kit or something off the internet if you search for it on the right channels or even at the hardware store. Just be careful when you're dealing with acids and stuff of course. You don't want to harm your skin or even the area you're testing on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread