Can you sell Metal Detectors on here?

ArizonaTreasure

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a brand new Garrett ATX Extreme Pulse Induction Metal Detector.

I got into metal detecting awhile back and decided to buy it.... then like other hobbies of mine I never went out. it literally was delivered to me and then sat on the top shelf in my closet until today. lol

Anyway I am trying to figure out the best way to sell it.

I bought it from kellyco and they gave me a bunch of stuff... shovels, knee pads, a smaller handheld detector etc for free that I want to go with the detector.

Anyway, seeing as I'm sure someone here would be interested am I allowed to list on here somehow?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
only if you are a Charter member

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll give you $50.00 for it. :skullflag:

OP
OP
A

ArizonaTreasure

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry,

Sold.

Charter Member? Seeing as I am not one of those I guess Ebay??

What do you think I should list it for? I think I spent like $2500. $1500? What is a fair asking price?

I don't really care to wait for the best price I can get.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
or you could spend $20 to become one and sell it here

OP
OP
A

ArizonaTreasure

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh gotcha... I thought it based on tenure or amount of posts like other forums... I will do that now. Thanks for the feedback.

Thoughts on a fair asking price??

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post a thread in our classified forum in sub forum treasure related for sale

Flounder

Mar 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some reason, on the MD forums, you need to either pay tribute to the site and let them wet their beak, or you need to have hundreds of posts to sell a detector. No other hobby has a forum lockdown like MDing does on private sales of detectors.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some reason, on the MD forums, you need to either pay tribute to the site and let them wet their beak, or you need to have hundreds of posts to sell a detector. No other hobby has a forum lockdown like MDing does on private sales of detectors.

There is a reason why we do things.......We now require sellers to be charter members because when selling was open to all members we were having too many bad deals by people stopping in to sell then skipping out once paid.......

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nothing could be farther from the truth. Many forums I am a member of make the user either reach a certain post count and/or pay to unlock privileges. Computer forums...auto forums...electronics forums....I could go on for quite a while.

Flounder

Mar 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a reason why we do things.......We now require sellers to be charter members because when selling was open to all members we were having too many bad deals by people stopping in to sell then skipping out once paid.......

Help me understand what you're saying - Do you mean:

People were coming here to sell detectors but not participating in the forum?

People were coming here to sell, getting paid first by members, and not delivering?

Other?

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe he is saying that people would register just to sell then not participate in the forums. Ebay and Craigslist would be more suitable for that. This is a forum that is made for participation not hit and runs to make a buck.

I am sure there were plenty of people not getting paid or not delivering as well....although I cannot be 100% sure I will assume it has happened once or twice.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Help me understand what you're saying - Do you mean:

People were coming here to sell detectors but not participating in the forum?

People were coming here to sell, getting paid first by members, and not delivering?

Other?

Exactly..

Flounder

Mar 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe he is saying that people would register just to sell then not participate in the forums. Ebay and Craigslist would be more suitable for that. This is a forum that is made for participation not hit and runs to make a buck.

Ebay takes an account to make work (to sell), and CL doesn't reach people specific to any given hobby. Personally (just my opinion), I think it does a disservice to members to cut them off from buying and selling freely. it's not up to any site (again, just one guys opinion here) to broker or moderate any legal transaction between consenting adults. Obviously it's TN's site and they make the rules. I respect that, again just throwing out my opinion on the matter which is just that - my opinion.

If the mods were open to any sort of compromise (theoretically speaking), they could make a rule that sales are allowed if face to face and local. That would eliminate a large swath of any potential fraud of members. The other notion that not being an active, regularly participating forum member is some how detrimental is silly. When I was looking to purchase, I would have welcomed having more options to buy, even if at my own risk. As a buyer, I certainly don't need a forum as a buffer and moderator to my own judgement regarding buying from an online ad. Again, just my 2c and in no way meant as an insult to the site, it's rules or it's mods.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay takes an account to make work (to sell), and CL doesn't reach people specific to any given hobby. Personally (just my opinion), I think it does a disservice to members to cut them off from buying and selling freely. it's not up to any site (again, just one guys opinion here) to broker or moderate any legal transaction between consenting adults. Obviously it's TN's site and they make the rules. I respect that, again just throwing out my opinion on the matter which is just that - my opinion.

If the mods were open to any sort of compromise (theoretically speaking), they could make a rule that sales are allowed if face to face and local. That would eliminate a large swath of any potential fraud of members. The other notion that not being an active, regularly participating forum member is some how detrimental is silly. When I was looking to purchase, I would have welcomed having more options to buy, even if at my own risk. As a buyer, I certainly don't need a forum as a buffer and moderator to my own judgement regarding buying from an online ad. Again, just my 2c and in no way meant as an insult to the site, it's rules or it's mods.

You didn't have to deal with angry members upset they were taken for hundreds of dollars by fly by night members...

Setting it so it face to face was allowed is just more work for mods checking to be sure it is face to face...

Selling is now a bennifit of being a charter member and has worked out great... Since rule was changed problems have been next to nothing....

Flounder

Mar 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You didn't have to deal with angry members upset they were taken for hundreds of dollars by fly by night members...

Setting it so it face to face was allowed is just more work for mods checking to be sure it is face to face...

Selling is now a bennifit of being a charter member and has worked out great... Since rule was changed problems have been next to nothing....

Fair enough, and I know not to argue too far on any given point on the internet :)

Thanks for the discussion on the matter, always appreciated!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread